2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it's just as likely neither Tiger situation has any buzz among players in general because 1) like everyone else, probably none of them have much of a clue what was going on with ERod an thus likely have no opinion about it one way or the other - in the end he's just a guy with an opt out that took it. Nothing to see there. 2) With Turnbull non-tendered, no-one actually had their service manipulated in the end. No player is going to hold it against a team that they cut somebody loose who appears to have wanted just that.

I wouldn’t agree that players are ciphers who don’t pay attention to what’s going on with teammates around them, keeping their heads down and focusing only on the baseball and nothing else. These are fully-formed adults with thoughts and opinions just like the rest of us, and who work in close proximity to one another seven or eight months during the year (well, except when they are ghosting, for reasons). I would be really surprised to learn they weren’t paying much attention to what was going on with Eduardo last season, or while he was jerking the team around at the deadline this past July, and had zero opinion about any of it, especially since it all definitely affected them as teammates. I don’t know what that opinion would be, exactly, but I would be surprised to learn it was no opinion at all.

As for Turnbull, I’m sure most of those guys don’t have zero opinion about him and his deal, either, since his antics cost them a Turnbull start for his so-called cracked toenail “injury”. Just because we the fans don’t have the first clue what’s going on in their heads doesn’t mean their teammates don’t as well, and while I don’t know any better than you what their opinion of it all would be, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that the other Tigers thought of Turnbull as flaky and unreliable as well.

We don’t know what really goes on in clubhouses behind closed doors, except perhaps what we learn from tell-all books after the fact, but I’m as sure as I can be that it’s not 26 guys existing in their own bubbles shutting everyone else out and knowing nothing about what’s going except with themselves alone.

Yes, players probably did pay attention to what was going on with Eduardo Rodriguez and they might have been fine with it for reasons that fans don't understand.  Fans are upset at Rodriguez because he didn't do what they wanted him to do.  The players may very well have had a very different perspective.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, players probably did pay attention to what was going on with Eduardo Rodriguez and they might have been fine with it for reasons that fans don't understand.  Fans are upset at Rodriguez because he didn't do what they wanted him to do.  The players may very well have had a very different perspective.  

I would think the players would look at how the Tigers publicly handled his thing last year in a positive light. They would want the same courtesy.  I see that as a different thing from his contract situation and the same with Spencer. That’s just business and they assume all orgs are like that.  They can distinguish between how they treat you professionally and personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Why don't these guys where steel in their shoes and hand guards when they bat? It would save a lot of little bones getting broken.

Ever try to run in steel toe boots?

I tried mowing in them earlier this year and gave it up because it weighed me down so much.

Edited by Edman85

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn’t agree that players are ciphers who don’t pay attention to what’s going on with teammates around them

actually I was thinking more about whether any of either episode would have any traction outside the Tiger org, where the players they might be interested in would be. I'm sure some of the Tigers knew what was going on with ERod. The very fact that none among the players talked about it 'out of turn' so to speak,  is probably fair evidence none of them had issues around it.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Or they might have not been fine with it for reasons fans can understand. No way to know. 

28 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

being interested and  ponying up the cash to make it happen are two different things

Indeed, but how long has it been since we have been mentioned like this, as a potential suitor for a top talent? Its a really nice step forward for us. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I really feel bad for Austin Meadows.    His career is probably over because of vertigo (just like Nick Esasky) and he's only 28 and I am sure he would have loved to start a game with his brother.   I hope he can make a comeback,  I'm rooting for him. 

Vertigo and anxiety are not the same thing.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think that was a serious offer. 

They didn't make that offer as some kind of joke.

It was a serious offer.

"This is the best we can do."

Not quite $300M, but that's a serious offer.

"We understand if you're going to look for a better offer. But we really want you on our team."

55 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

35 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought the vertigo is what first prevented him from playing and that perhaps contributed to his anxiety.  Does he no longer have vertigo? 

IDK, whatever is going on I can't help thinking he might be in pretty bad shape - I really thought he would show up for Parker making the club and when the entire Meadows family showed up without him that seemed a story in itself.

Edited by gehringer_2

54 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

A lot of people with severe Vertigo wind up gettin anxiety - this feeling that the vertigo is going to come back, so they still kind of have the sensation of it, even though it's not real.  Like a rebound headache in a way.   It can just ruin people's lives.   I don't know if that's his issue, but it could be.  It's what happened to Nick Esasky.     

29 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They didn't make that offer as some kind of joke.

It was a serious offer.

"This is the best we can do."

Not quite $300M, but that's a serious offer.

"We understand if you're going to look for a better offer. But we really want you on our team."

No, it wasn’t. He had a stated number well into the threes and there was no way he was going to accept an offer that lowballed it.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/central-notes-reds-cubs-baez.html

"Tigers shortstop Javier Baez is coming off perhaps the worst season of his career in 2023, having slashed a brutal .222/.267/.325 in 547 trips to the plate this year. That was the second-worst offensive performance from a qualified regular in baseball last year by measure of wRC+; Baez’s 61 figure, which was 39% worse than league average, clocked in just barely ahead of former White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson‘s 60 wRC+. Brutal as the 2023 season was for Baez, Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press relays that Baez is planning to spend much of his offseason stateside this winter rather than return to his home in Puerto Rico, as he typically does after the season comes to an end. During his time stateside, Petzold indicates that Baez plans to focus on strengthening his back and core muscles to recapture the athleticism that allowed him to connect for 86 home runs from 2017-2019, the fourth highest figure among qualified shortstops during that time span. If Baez, 31 next month, can successfully combat father time and recapture the power that carried his offensive profile in his youth, that would provide a massive boost to a Tigers team that finished bottom four in the majors with a team-wide wRC+ of just 89 in 2023."