2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

2012 was more memorable, but Cabrera's 2013 season was even better than his 2012 season.  

2013 was the real Nintendo season for him, he had over 40 home runs on September 1 if my memory is correct, and then suffered the first serious injury, a core muscle, that pretty much derailed the rest of his career.

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was hoping they'd at least be in on some  of the top starters, not that I expect the Tigers to overpay what they'd have to to land anyone really good, but hearing the maybe's on second or third-tier pitchers after what, $57 million comes off the payroll..............is disappointing.       I don't think they need to go after any position players - they need to see what they've got with young guys, but they absolutely need two guys that can start.   I'm not convinced Mize is going to have a productive year at all and line drives seem to find Matt Manning's feet.       I was just hoping for more.  84 wins can take this division next year while you still build for the real future.   Feel like we're now the Pirates and we'd be lucky to be good once every 8 years.   

I think they need to and can aim higher than 84 wins.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I think they need to and can aim higher than 84 wins.

I think so too, but I think 84 can do it, especially if the Twins lose a couple guys.  

They just can't get off to another horrid start.    The last 3 seasons have been brutal at the start and then in 21 and 23 they were over .500 after Mid May.        Other than 2 horrible weeks the Tigers were pretty good (considering the expectation)

Edited by Motor City Sonics

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Aside from steroids, I also think the rapid expansion of 4 teams in a short amount in the 90s helped the HR total to some degree.

I definitely think it helped.  Offense generally benefits from expansion because it's harder to add a bunch of new pitchers than new hitters.  

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I think in this day & age with 3 wildcards, a team that wants to make the playoff aims for 90 wins as a target.

Lots of IFs in the AL Central.      Guardians with a new skipper.  The White Sox didn't fire theirs for some reason.  The Royals will be horrible and the Twins are the Twins.  Up/Down, it's their Down year coming up.    90 gets a Wild Card (maybe),  84/85 gets the Central.    Just get in.   

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Lots of IFs in the AL Central.      Guardians with a new skipper.  The White Sox didn't fire theirs for some reason.  The Royals will be horrible and the Twins are the Twins.  Up/Down, it's their Down year coming up.    90 gets a Wild Card (maybe),  84/85 gets the Central.    Just get in.   

Did you have Arizona as a playoff team before this past season began?

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the Tigers need to try to build a contending team every off-season from now on.  That doesn't mean they should sign players to stupid deals, but their goal should be to have a contending team every year.  No more silly seven-year plans.   

God bless.

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the Tigers need to try to build a contending team every off-season from now on.  That doesn't mean they should sign players to stupid deals, but their goal should be to have a contending team every year.  No more silly seven-year plans.   

It all depends on how good the scouts Scott Harris hired are.   We won't know that for 3 or 4 years, but if they scout well they'll have a steady stream of good players,  2-3 every year coming up through the system - just contributing players, they don't have to be stars, just be positive contributors.       For years, going all the way back to the 90s they didn't have that.    They did alright with pitching but they had no stream of position players coming up, not even decent backups.     Dombrowski & Avila's records were terrible on that.  It was either terrible scouting or the scouting was okay and they couldn't develop them.   I think it was a little of both.   Based on last year- we saw some players really improve, so maybe they have the developmental people in place finally.   Torkelson's turnaround was a great sign and I don't think it's a fluke.  

Two options are spend when you're close and have a 2 or 3 year window or do what the Rays do and always contend, but never get to the top.    Since we haven't had a champion in 40 years, I think I'd want the Go For It Now approach, and they did that but didn't bring it home.     Still absolutely stunning that they couldn't win it all with those teams in 2012 and 2013.   I think it would get frustrating to get really close like the Rays and then ship out popular players.   I think it's easier to get away with that in Tampa with their passive fanbase.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think it would get frustrating to get really close like the Rays and then ship out popular players.   I think it's easier to get away with that in Tampa with their passive fanbase.  

This is my fear with the organization now.  Even if they were to be good at it like the Rays, I wouldn't enjoy that approach.  Part of the fun of following a team is having some core players that become part of the team's long-term identity.  

13 hours ago, KL2 said:

The problem is nobody is really that good in this years free agent market. It is a bunch of second and third tier guys. So you can have a bunch of money off the books, but can't magically make better players available. 

i think that ohtani kid might develop into something...

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It all depends on how good the scouts Scott Harris hired are.   We won't know that for 3 or 4 years, but if they scout well they'll have a steady stream of good players,  2-3 every year coming up through the system - just contributing players, they don't have to be stars, just be positive contributors.       For years, going all the way back to the 90s they didn't have that.    They did alright with pitching but they had no stream of position players coming up, not even decent backups.     Dombrowski & Avila's records were terrible on that.  It was either terrible scouting or the scouting was okay and they couldn't develop them.   I think it was a little of both.   Based on last year- we saw some players really improve, so maybe they have the developmental people in place finally.   Torkelson's turnaround was a great sign and I don't think it's a fluke.  

Two options are spend when you're close and have a 2 or 3 year window or do what the Rays do and always contend, but never get to the top.    Since we haven't had a champion in 40 years, I think I'd want the Go For It Now approach, and they did that but didn't bring it home.     Still absolutely stunning that they couldn't win it all with those teams in 2012 and 2013.   I think it would get frustrating to get really close like the Rays and then ship out popular players.   I think it's easier to get away with that in Tampa with their passive fanbase.  

Why?  Its the MLB playoffs.  They both beat and lost to teams with better regular season records.

• Like 1