2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

46 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I was listening to Eno's podcast yesterday and he mentioned Severino is the guy in the free agent pool whose underlying stuff pops as a sleeper. He is pretty good at sifting through pitchers.

Pitchers are really tough to project from year to year, but I agree Eno Sarris is better at it than most.

The Tigers were rumored to have interest in Seth Lugo. Then it was they only want him for one year and he wants three. Now half the league wants him. I think free agency is going to continue to be more money and more years. That's how it's always been. I don't know the rates of growth over the years but it seems to be increasing. Are the top guys really worth signing into their forties? I'm curious to see how high the bidding will be this year. Seems like too much to me but in five years it will be even higher so....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yamamoto - Lugo- Maeda- Wacha - Severino - Gray (loss of pick would hurt ). two of these would work nicely.

Imanaga intrigues me.  There is the obvious age difference at play between he and Yamamoto, but I wonder if Imanaga might be a better value for the price tag and allow for more investment elsewhere on the roster?

Go for the Japanese Trifecta:

Maeda - back of the rotation and attracts Yamamoto (along with the promise to target Imanaga as well...)

Yamamoto - Tops the rotation along with Skubal

Imanaga - Lefty, could be a jack-of-all-trades as a spot starter, lefty middle reliever, etc. in 2024. Could take over Maeda's spot after a year or two in the league to get acclimated. Or push Maeda (as a RH'er) into this spot if he acclimates quickly.

Just a thought...

48 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maeda - back of the rotation and attracts Yamamoto (along with the promise to target Imanaga as well...)

Imanaga - Lefty, could be a jack-of-all-trades as a spot starter, lefty middle reliever, etc. in 2024. Could take over Maeda's spot after a year or two in the league to get acclimated. Or push Maeda (as a RH'er) into this spot if he acclimates quickly.

Just a thought...

It is a interesting thought. It would have to be a 'Huge' fiscal commitment (and a huge calculated risk) by the Tigers and they would have to think this group would be a part of a core for a while - and then you have to have some luck ex injuries, good performances, etc.

However, this type of scenario also means that Detroit would have to outbid many teams for 3 Starting Pitchers (all SP contracts). This may not be realistic at all, yet again, if they feel this group could help them now and later (for several years), and that they are developing positional players - then perhaps it is a viable 'idea.'

Edited by alex

Maeda is the oldest at 35 so he is rumored for a 2 or 3 year contract. Affordable.

Imanada, at 30, is projected at a similar contract as Kodai Senga (5 years/ $75 mill) so that seems also affordable.

Yamamoto, 25, would be the only long-term big money contract at his projected ~$250 mill...

I think it works.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Just a thought...

Imanaga has been throwing 150 IP per season and over 6 IP per game since COVID (baseball reference shows only G, not GS).  I would think he’s going to find a SP role in MLB.  I think another LHSP would be good for the Tigers.

Now, if they were to acquire him and he’d be bumped to the bullpen due to the rest of the rotation being stout, well, I wouldn’t necessarily be adverse to it.  But the price tag likely exceeds the role at that point. The bullpen could use another LHP, maybe more so than the rotation.  I think they can adequately fill that role at well below what Imanaga is going to receive.