2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

Imanaga has been throwing 150 IP per season and over 6 IP per game since COVID (baseball reference shows only G, not GS).  I would think he’s going to find a SP role in MLB.  I think another LHSP would be good for the Tigers.

Now, if they were to acquire him and he’d be bumped to the bullpen due to the rest of the rotation being stout, well, I wouldn’t necessarily be adverse to it.  But the price tag likely exceeds the role at that point. The bullpen could use another LHP, maybe more so than the rotation.  I think they can adequately fill that role at well below what Imanaga is going to receive.

I would look at Imanaga as a long-term starter and Maeda as a short-term 1 or 2 year guy. I also really like that he's another lefty, with high potential to jump right into the rotation. 

But I would also look at Imanaga as a "glue guy" and wanna use him wherever he fits best. I agree he should start as a starter and only lose that spot based on the rest of the rotation being stout(er). That also forces the other guys (Manning and Mize in particular) to both make huge strides and if they can't, they don't beat out Imanaga. Maybe Mize spends a year rehabbing and fine-tuning in AAA. Or Manning gets pushed to AAA. Or maybe Imanaga beats out Maeda and it's Maeda that become the jack-of-all-trades guy. I just think overall, it simply makes our pitching staff stronger, however that works out. Based on that, I don't think that contract for Imanaga creates problems for the Tigers, even though I also agree that if he's not actually in the rotation then it's quite a bit pricey.... but I think everything else that's added, including him taking over Maeda's rotation spot later if not a rotation spot immediately, is a huge positive for the Tigers pitching staff.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Jeez - he better not! He'll be almost 2yrs out when the the '24 season starts. If he can't pitch by then he's probably going down as a bust.

I’m concerned about Mize.  Even if he is healthy, how many innings can reasonably be expected out of him in 2024?

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’m concerned about Mize.  Even if he is healthy, how many innings can reasonably be expected out of him in 2024?

When he had to stop throwing toward the end of last year I got a little concerned as well. Maybe he had gotten a little ahead of himself and there were some minor issues. Not a lot was said about it that I read. 
I still believe that if he is finally healthy, he can be as advertised out of Auburn. The issue, can he get to that point? Can’t wait for ST to see where he is on rehab/readiness.

36 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have not been all that impressed with either Manning or Mize so far.  Both could still be top of the rotation starters, but they haven't shown it yet and there is a good chance they won't.  Skubal looks like a #1 if he stays healthy.    

When it goes right, I actually like Manning's stuff better than Mize's  - or at least what Mize's stuff was way back when, but Manning has to shake that black cloud that seems to follow him around.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

problem is Morosi always seems to be wrong

All of them are "wrong" most of the time.  It's the nature of the beast.  I don't think Morosi simply speculates though.  All he said was that the Tigers are very interested in Maeda.  That doesn't mean they are going to get him as there could be a lot of teams very interested in him.  

17 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have not been all that impressed with either Manning or Mize so far.  Both could still be top of the rotation starters, but they haven't shown it yet and there is a good chance they won't.  Skubal looks like a #1 if he stays healthy.    

Dan Dickerson was on 97.1 last monday, and was really pumping up Mize's stuff; said that he was throwing really well lately.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought it looked like Mize was turning a corner in 2021.  But I agree with you, I think Skubal seems the best bet of the bunch to be an ace.

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He needs to improve his k-rate.  

Indeed.  If he were able to do that without sacrificing BB9 and SO9, then the Tigers have a two headed monster between Mize and Skubal at the top of the rotation.  Both are under control through the 2026 season.

I think that it got out that Yamamoto isn't interested with the Tigers because they have no Japanese players. It sounds like that is a reason that Harris is going after Maeda (besides being a very good pitcher). It sounds like Harris wants the Tigers to have a hand in the Japanese/Korean markets, and to do that, he's going to have to carry other Japanese/Korean players on their roster.