2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

28 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I think the rotation right now is penciled in as Skubal, Maeda, Olson, Mize, one more addition.  Manning has options. SGL et al can wait their turn. All of them will probably be needed.

Wentz is out of options, by the way. Fangraphs says Faedo is too, but I am 99.9% sure he's 4th option eligible. I know Wentz isn't; I've gotten second hand confirmation from the org.

I expect something like this too.  It might not be one of the big names, but I think they'll add another MLB starter.  

2 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Right back at ya, buddy. 

There are very few people who haven't been affected in some way by mental illness; either themselves or somebody close to them. I'm sorry you have backward views on it, but at least acknowledge how hurtful it is to espouse those views and how ignorant it makes you appear. I acknowledge going the Billy Madison screed route may have been over-the-top, but it is apropos given the severity and how out of bounds those two posts were. It deserved top rope treatment.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

There are very few people who haven't been affected in some way by mental illness; either themselves or somebody close to them. I'm sorry you have backward views on it, but at least acknowledge how hurtful it is to espouse those views and how ignorant it makes you appear. I acknowledge going the Billy Madison screed route may have been over-the-top, but it is apropos given the severity and how out of bounds those two posts were. It deserved top rope treatment.

You shouldn't assume I am not familiar with GAD.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm coming around to the idea that the Tigers may be done picking up players for their major league roster next year.

The 40-man is at 38, so they likely plan on at least two more moves!

Probably a Rule 5 flier for the bullpen and another starting pitcher. Beyond that, probably a reliever or two, and then some bargain hunting in February when some free agents are playing musical chairs, with an eye for the waiver wire.

• Like 2

I think the Tigers were, and still are, serious about obtaining Yamamoto... and nothing has changed.

I believe Maeda is part of that plan.

It doesn't guarantee that we end up with Yamamoto... obviously competitors against us...

And it wouldn't bother me if it was a Yamamoto as Plan A, with Imanaga as a Plan B, plan that they are following, in fact, I'd be all for that.

So, bottom line...

I'm sticking with the Yamamoto plan, and the belief that that IS their game plan.

At least until the game is over.

Just now, Edman85 said:

The 40-man is at 38, so they likely plan on at least two more moves!

Probably a Rule 5 flier for the bullpen and another starting pitcher. Beyond that, probably a reliever or two, and then some bargain hunting in February when some free agents are playing musical chairs, with an eye for the waiver wire.

I wouldn’t think that’s a solidified 38.  There are some guys that can be jettisoned pretty easily (Nevin as a prime example).

I saw Klaw's write up about the Maeda signing and he likes it. He posted his 2nd half numbers after returning from the tricep injury and I didn't realize how good they were, like mid 3s ERA with matching peripherals and something like 110Ks in 88IPs. Not that I'm expecting that necessarily but maybe he ends up being alot more than "just" a solid innings eater in the rotation. 

BTW he did have a line in there that made me chuckle, said something like "The Tigers who have an improving offense but have a rotation that was filled with Tarik Skubal and 4 guys made up by AI needed a guy like this.." 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think the Tigers were, and still are, serious about obtaining Yamamoto... and nothing has changed.

I believe Maeda is part of that plan.

It doesn't guarantee that we end up with Yamamoto... obviously competitors against us...

And it wouldn't bother me if it was a Yamamoto as Plan A, with Imanaga as a Plan B, plan that they are following, in fact, I'd be all for that.

So, bottom line...

I'm sticking with the Yamamoto plan, and the belief that that IS their game plan.

At least until the game is over.

I do think they are looking at Yamamoto or Imanaga, but I think they'll sign another starter even if they don't get one of them.  

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw Klaw's write up about the Maeda signing and he likes it. He posted his 2nd half numbers after returning from the tricep injury and I didn't realize how good they were, like mid 3s ERA with matching peripherals and something like 110Ks in 88IPs. Not that I'm expecting that necessarily but maybe he ends up being alot more than "just" a solid innings eater in the rotation. 

BTW he did have a line in there that made me chuckle, said something like "The Tigers who have an improving offense but have a rotation that was filled with Tarik Skubal and 4 guys made up by AI needed a guy like this.." 

Just kind of thinking through the rotation a bit, of the 1,400 or so innings to be pitched, what is needed by the rotation, 60%?  840 IP?  175 out of the first two spots, 150 out of the last three?  That’s 800 there.  60% of a start is 16.2 outs, so it gets a team through 5 plus an out.  I don’t know, maybe the 60% is a bit low.  But then that means they need another upper end SP.

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I do think they are looking at Yamamoto or Imanaga, but I think they'll sign another starter even if they don't get one of them.  

Exactly, free agency is not like going to the grocery store to get a gallon of orange juice. The orange juice has some agency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

I could see Mize getting some time in the pen. They won't want him to pitch too many innings.

My guess is they hold Mize to 5 inning starts, skip a couple of starts around the ASB to give him a rehab break, then either move him to the BP late in the season or shut him down - all of course assuming he doesn't go down before any/all of that happens.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I think the rotation right now is penciled in as Skubal, Maeda, Olson, Mize, one more addition.  Manning has options. SGL et al can wait their turn. All of them will probably be needed.

Wentz is out of options, by the way. Fangraphs says Faedo is too, but I am 99.9% sure he's 4th option eligible. I know Wentz isn't; I've gotten second hand confirmation from the org.

I'd wager Manning would have to pitch himself out of the rotation in ST to not be in the rotation. Last Spring you probably couldn't get Wentz through waivers, based on his last season this year you might! Everyone loves Olson right now, for good reason, but he's probably the next TJ on the staff.....

How about Giolito? He's been pretty enigmatic throughout his career but when he is pitching well he is one of the best in the league. Seems like Fetter could get the good version out of him. 

Considering hes still pretty young he may be willing to take a 1yr prove it deal to try to regain some value and go after the long term deal next season where he will still only be 30 years old. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

How about Giolito? He's been pretty enigmatic throughout his career but when he is pitching well he is one of the best in the league. Seems like Fetter could get the good version out of him. 

Considering hes still pretty young he may be willing to take a 1yr prove it deal to try to regain some value and go after the long term deal next season where he will still only be 30 years old. 

He doesn't seem like a Scott Harris type.  Too many walks.  

I didnt realize just how bad he was last year when I posted the suggestion. I knew he wasnt good relative to his reputation but I was thinking more in the mid to upper 4s ERA not upper 6s! Jeez that's horrendous, I said he may be willing to take a 1 yr deal but after looking at his stats that may be all a team offers him.

Still though could be a good buy low guy if a team feels they spotted something that could be corrected since he's still only 29 years old.