2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Interesting. At face value I’m not excited about it. With two years remaining why would you extend a guy that hasn’t had a winning season. I realize they’re still rebuilding but why the rush? This guy ain’t Casey Stengal.

If A.J. has the horses, then he should be winning the race, amirite?

Just now, chasfh said:

If A.J. has the horses, then he should be winning the race, amirite?

That would be the expectation, yes. I don’t understand an extension with two years left on the existing contract. 
See what next year’s progress looks like and talk next winter if things look like they’re still trending positive. 
Not a good business move as I see it.

20 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Interesting. At face value I’m not excited about it. With two years remaining why would you extend a guy that hasn’t had a winning season. I realize they’re still rebuilding but why the rush? This guy ain’t Casey Stengal.

When he has a team capable of a winning season, I'm sure he'll have one.

One thing that seems pretty well cleared up is that, contra commentary from some, it confirms the obvious: Harris and Hinch enjoy the partnership and there isn't a ton of daylight between the two of them.

Hopefully that line of commentary will go the way of Lynn Henning's opt-out.

Edited by mtutiger

Harris obviously likes what he sees and as others have said they appear to be in sync. So why not?  Orgs judge their managers on things fans aren’t privy to.  It makes sense of that story where he listed his condo for sale.  I’m guessing he’s buying a house now that he knows he will be here longer.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

You lock him up because if he left you could do a lot worse? In general I think Hinch is fine - he seems to have a real talent for managing a bullpen, which is probably the most important thing a modern manager has to be good at. The one caveat is that if they start another season with all their hitters in the tank, then you have to lay that at Hinch's door because your outlier occurrences are proving themselves to be trends.

Edited by gehringer_2

The extension thing matters - and makes sense - because it formally makes Hinch, who Harris inherited, his pick to be manager. It ends any sort of speculation about Hinch as a lame duck or holdover, and ties them both together in a way they weren't to this point.

Maybe not the best example given that Bob Quinn was a failure in the end, but the situation last season wasn't much different than him inheriting Jim Caldwell for instance. (Of course, he would then let Caldwell go and bring in someone much worse lol)

I assumed Hinch would be around for a while, so this is not a surprise to me.  I am neither happy nor disappointed.  He didn't seem to handle the Houston situation well, but I don't sense there is any trouble with the Tigers.  The Tigers have had good bullpens since he has been with them too which is one of the few areas I believe a manager can be worth a small number of games.  On the other hand, it could be fetter who is doing it.  

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

You lock him up because if he left you could do a lot worse? 

Or possibly better. I’ve never been a big fan of AJ Hinch but that has nothing to do with my point. He is here for two more years to begin with, for better or worse. Nobody out there is calling about interviewing Hinch, that I’m sure of. He’s not going anywhere. A year from now, yeah maybe. Just me, but I’d wait to see what next year looks like. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

it could be fetter who is doing it.  

This is true, but if a guy can make good hires, then from a practical standpoint that's pretty much as good as him having talent himself. But even given that, I will still be calling for Hinch's head if they come out of the gate all hitting below their averages again. That just can't happen three times in a row.

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Or possibly better. I’ve never been a big fan of AJ Hinch but that has nothing to do with my point. He is here for two more years to begin with, for better or worse. Nobody out there is calling about interviewing Hinch, that I’m sure of. He’s not going anywhere. A year from now, yeah maybe. Just me, but I’d wait to see what next year looks like. 

I think Scott Harris really likes AJ Hinch, sees him as a partner in this relationship, and sees that relationship continuing beyond the existing contract. Simply put, he's sold on AJ in the role of manager.

Given that, from his standpoint, I don't see the downside to extending him now versus a year from now. But as fans, I can see why some would have apprehension.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, MIguy said:

And Hinch has won 2 pennants and a World Series.  Obviously I was referring to the 2023 season. 

It was not obvious to me since I would not not judge a manager based on one season where there were a lot of injuries.  His team won over 100 games in 2022.  I am not even a fan of Showalter.  The media has always pumped up as some kind of genius which he is not.  My only point is that I don't believe a baseball manager has a big effect on win totals.