2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, maybe they see something that doesn't show up in the stats, but the stats themselves don't suggest that he belongs in the majors.  How many of these minor league rule 5 guys ever spend any significant time in the majors?  I don't follow it, but I imagine it's a fairly low percentage.  

The two Tigers off the top of my head who were minor league Rule 5 picks are Jose Macias and Eddie Bonine. The Tigers lost Dane Myers, who got some run with the Marlins last year.

The minor league phase is a lot more active than it was 5+ years ago, though. You probably get one or two each year that get a cup of coffee in the Majors.

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, maybe they see something that doesn't show up in the stats, but the stats themselves don't suggest that he belongs in the majors.  How many of these minor league rule 5 guys ever spend any significant time in the majors?  I don't follow it, but I imagine it's a fairly low percentage.  

That's it, if its anything.  Given the life span of relief pitchers, at least peak performance, I wonder if they see something mechanically that they think they have a tweak for, and maybe they can get some cheap relief innings out of him after some time in Toledo?  As has been mentioned, the stats just aren't there to think he's much of anything.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It is worth pointing out, those guys don't have to be in Toledo next year, and likely won't be. The odds they make the majors are slim to none. There is a reason they were available in the minor league phase.

Toledo's pitching staff was pretty bad last season.  If there aren't many promotions from Erie, those guys might as well be AAA fodder.

5 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

He has plenty of suitors. 

Yes, but now I don’t think Montgomery gets a Nola-lite offer, like a 5/110 or even 6/120. I think he’s gonna get something closer to 4/80 because the guy closest to him came off the board for that. Montgomery was in a netherland between the two and as long as only Nola signed, then Montgomery could peg his demand to him, but now that Eduardo is signed Montgomery is going to get pegged to that one instead. The bold prediction would be Montgomery holding out until March waiting to get the higher deal that doesn’t come.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We’ve been assured repeatedly that it was all Scott Harris’s fault he didn’t complete the Dodgers trade, and double his fault he didn’t have a backup plan in place.

Sure, if you want to buy that theory.  Nobody here was in the room where it happened, so who knows what happened exactly.  I'm going to guess timing came into play and there was a renege after a deadline for the backup plan(s), but that's just a theory.

Whatever, here we are.  Hopefully the Tigers can pound him if/when they face him.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sure, if you want to buy that theory.  Nobody here was in the room where it happened, so who knows what happened exactly.  I'm going to guess timing came into play and there was a renege after a deadline for the backup plan(s), but that's just a theory.

Whatever, here we are.  Hopefully the Tigers can pound him if/when they face him.

I’ve never bought that theory for even a second.

Eduardo Rodriguez owes nothing to fans.  It sucks that we didn't get our prospects, but he did what he felt was right for himself which is what most (if not all) of us would do when deciding where to work and how much money we make.  If I was going to blame anyone it might be Harris.  Maybe, he could have figured something out earlier, but I don't know that he didn't try so I don't blame him either.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We’ve been assured repeatedly that it was all Scott Harris’s fault he didn’t complete the Dodgers trade, and double his fault he didn’t have a backup plan in place.

Making the team better through player transactions is part of his job, so it's logical to think it could have been his fault.  That is not part of Rodriguez's job.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Eduardo Rodriguez owes nothing to fans.  It sucks that we didn't get our prospects, but he did what he felt was right for himself which is what most (if not all) of us would do when deciding where to work and how much money we make.  If I was going to blame anyone it might be Harris.  Maybe, he could of figured something out earlier, but I don't that he didn't try so I don't blame him either.  

I think there are pretty much 4 possibilities:

1-Harris hadn't discussed trade options with ERod in enough detail to understand clearly what he would accept and so negotiated a deal he *could* have known ERod would refuse. (Fault Harris)

2-Harris did have detailed discussions with ERod to where he did think he understood him clearly but they simply hadn't connected completely so that despite good faith effort by both Harris and ERod, ERod ended up not liking the deal. (Fault - maybe both of them, maybe neither - stuff happens)

3-Harris did understand what ERod *said* he would accept accurately and ERod simply changed his mind. (Fault ERod)

4-ERod was non-committal in discussions with Harris, basically said "Bring me the deal and I'll decide" and things ran so close to the deadline that by the time they got back to ERod and he didn't like the deal it was just too late to do anything else. (Fault - any or all of ERod/Dodgers/Tigers)

Unless someone spills the beans I find any of the above equally likely.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

1-Harris hadn't discussed trade options with ERod in enough detail to understand clearly what he would accept and so negotiated a deal he *could* have known ERod would refuse. (Fault Harris)

2-Harris did have detailed discussions with ERod to where he did think he understood him clearly but they simply hadn't connected completely so that despite good faith effort by both Harris and ERod, ERod ended up not liking the deal. (Fault - maybe both of them, maybe neither - stuff happens)

3-Harris did understand what ERod *said* he would accept accurately and ERod simply changed his mind. (Fault ERod)

4-ERod was non-committal in discussions with Harris, basically said "Bring me the deal and I'll decide" and things ran so close to the deadline that by the time they got back to ERod and he didn't like the deal it was just too late to do anything else. (Fault - any or all of ERod/Dodgers/Tigers)

All seem plausible.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

All seem plausible.

and to be honest, the fact that it was the Dodgers that went public with what did come out, I would not be surprised if it was some attempt at a late modification or backdown on an implied promise by them to ERod etc, that killed the deal, and they were getting their story out as CYA for their FO.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

5-- Eduardo so wanted to be out of detroit that he screwed us over at the deadline knowing we'd be screwed with no other deal in place. Then he'd just leave and have no prospect for his most-hated team so we never get back to the playoffs.  

Bitter KL2 buys that theory. 

• Haha 1

I find #3 the most plausible, and not because of any personal feelings I might or might not have about Eduardo, but because I find #1 basically impossible, #2 fairly unlikely, and #4 the most likely of the others but still less likely than #3.

and to be honest, the fact that it was the Dodgers that went public with what did come out, I would not be surprised if it was some attempt at a late modification or backdown on an implied promise by them to ERod etc, that killed the deal, and they were getting their story out as CYA for their FO.

Late modification