2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

57 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think this is right, although to the extent that there's a lot of variability, I don't love their chances if they are giving Vierling the lions' share of reps at third base.

This division isn't good so I would hesitate to declare anything not good enough though.

Let me amend my post above and say that the current 40 man (with likely subtractions and internal additions) doesn’t seem to me to be a 90 win team.  I’ll throw 90 in there as a fuzzy line in the sand as a playoff contender.

I think they need more innings out of the rotation.  For instance, Gipson-Long as the 8th SP on a healthy depth chart is better than 5th/6th.  And I think they need to move away from Lange as high leverage / closer, just too many walks for my liking.

And I think there’s still room for improvement in the lineup.  Canha is a good add.  But Greene’s recovery to for, probably needs to be seen.  And there’s still a lot riding on the maturity of a lot of youngsters, some of whom may not be on the 40 today.  We can be optimistic about the kids, that’s fine.  But optimism doesn’t add much to the win column.

90 wins might not be what’s needed to win the division in the end.  That very well may be true.  But I think 90 wins is enough for a wild card should for some unknown reason another ALC team happen to win 91.

30 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Glad to have the failed starter back.

As long as it’s the 2022 version and not 2023 version.  The sudden spike to 4.9 BB9 last year is notable.  But I would think that the pitching part of the front office and on field staff see something mechanically and have the fix to it if they are agreeing to a deal already in the offseason.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

As long as it’s the 2022 version and not 2023 version.  The sudden spike to 4.9 BB9 last year is notable.  But I would think that the pitching part of the front office and on field staff see something mechanically and have the fix to it if they are agreeing to a deal already in the offseason.

His contract reflects that, less than $5 million guaranteed. Working with Fetter and being closer to home should help. Plus he's not relied on to be the top guy.

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not prioritizing a closer.  In the spirit of failed starters, I think we have plenty of candidates.

Let’s get a starter and 3B stopgap 

My $$ would be that Foley will end up closing. The question is what to do with Lange. A guy who doesn't throw strikes is just as bad in the 8th as the 9th.

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Harris continues to make the safe low risk moves.  

Shreve was in the mark down bin with all the crap nobody wants to buy. 

Fortunately, he stole his neighbor's Amazon mail on his way home and got Holton.  

Beck's parting speculation in his story on Chafin was Wentz going to the BP as the 3rd lefty if he doesn't make the rotation. I agree he probably won't make the rotation. Looking at some of his results, it appears that through the course of last season Wentz's steadily lost velo on his FB. If it keeps him from wearing down, maybe working in relief would be the ticket for him but I have my doubts. I remember being impressed by him a couple of times out in '22 but he seemed to regress last season.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not prioritizing a closer.  In the spirit of failed starters, I think we have plenty of candidates.

Let’s get a starter and 3B stopgap 

Yes, I think they’d be better off finding a starter and another bat.

What about Faedo as an impact reliever?  He had pretty good stats going through a lineup the first time.  It was the second time where he struggled.  Could he and Horton provide multiple inning high leverage relief?  That extra option might make it enticing to send him to Toledo to stretch out for when a SP call up is needed.  But maybe his days as SP are over?

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Still wannabe in the market for Hader and Yamamoto, if there is any realistic possibility...

To borrow a line from John McEnroe, ‘You can’t be serious.’

Yamamoto is meeting with the Yankees tomorrow. Scott Harris would be the very last guy with any interest in him due to cost. 
Hader ain’t happening either.