2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

13 hours ago, casimir said:

If there were a way to scale that down to 12 total to carry an extra bat.  I don’t know if that’s through more stamina in the bullpen or just using options to play with depth in Toledo.  Maybe that 5th spot isn’t always used, but when the schedule calls for it, make it a bullpen day assuming the rest status allows it?

If they would just deaden the ball they could carry 12 pitchers comfortably. They could carry 11 pitchers. They could even cut the roster to 24 like they did during the 80's. But they need more pitchers now because with the live ball every pitch to literally every player could end up a home run, which is the worst thing that can happen to a pitcher, so they put 110% strain on their arms on every pitch to elicit swing and miss, or at least soft contact.

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

My main memory of baseball players having jobs is of Dave Bergman. I remember being like 5 or 6 and watching a telecast and they brought up how Dave was a stock broker in the offseason, my Dad replied with something about he probably makes more money doing that then being a baseball player. 

Meanwhile me hearing the word "stock" thought a stock broker was somebody that worked at the supermarket stocking groceries, I was like "wow didn't know grocery workers made more than baseball players". 

Richie Hebner was a grave digger in the off season. 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:02 AM, oblong said:

How strong is the lure to be the boss of baseball operations vs. the intellection satisfaction of doing things the right way as you see it?  What I'm getting at is would Harris have taken the job unless he felt Chris Ilitch will do the right at the right time? Of coruse he could have lied to him.

My sense is this feeling that he's meek I see from the usual Twitter folks is simply because Harris won't do something just to do it for marketing and big bang appeal you get in the off season. It will have to be the right move.  With the money coming off the books this year and the young talent coming up this is the time to see what they are made of.  Don't waste 2-3 years that the big FA signing gives you the performance if we find out these players aren't that good.  Then we are stuck with him in the later years of the deal while they once again regroup.

2024 is when we evaluate the fruits of the losing of 2018-2022.  Maybe Avila left us something. 

I think it’s a good idea to wait and see how things shake out. As if Mike’s children need any more grist for their mill about overspending on free agents, the name Javier Báez comes to mind. I remember when we got Fielder and thought that the sky would be the limit and it wasn’t. Same thing with Gary Sheffield. Somehow, adding one big name to the roster doesn’t add up to a lot, whereas the synergy of adding a bunch of lesser guys who perform above average does.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

If they would just deaden the ball they could carry 12 pitchers comfortably. They could carry 11 pitchers. They could even cut the roster to 24 like they did during the 80's. But they need more pitchers now because with the live ball every pitch to literally every player could end up a home run, which is the worst thing that can happen to a pitcher, so they put 110% strain on their arms on every pitch to elicit swing and miss, or at least soft contact.

I’m all for deadening the baseball.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

So how was the 2006 World Series banter between you and your father?

He was happy the Cardinals won, but disappointed that it was a poorly played series by the Tigers.  We were hoping for a classic like 34 and 68.  Plus, at 82 years old, he had kind of lost some of his energy for the game...for a lot of the same things I complain about now.  He is still with us.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, Tiger337 said:

Same here. I was in what they called "special ed" at the time so there wasn't much baseball discussed among the kids at school or with me at home, but once they got into the World Series  even I had to become aware of them. Then when I discovered how much numbers were a part of the game—basically like crack to an almanac maniac like me—I was hooked. I couldn't wait to play it myself!

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Same here. I was in what they called "special ed" at the time so there wasn't much baseball discussed among the kids at school or with me at home, but once they got into the World Series  even I had to become aware of them. Then when I discovered how much numbers were a part of the game—basically like crack to an almanac maniac like me—I was hooked. I couldn't wait to play it myself!

Numbers are what made the game me too.  I loved watching and playing it too, but it was the numbers that separated it from other sports.   

Add me to this list.  I always liked baseball but when at about age 14 I really started to appreciate all the numbers, it took things to a whole new level.

For the others like that, if you haven't already, I'd recommend Alan Schwarz's book The Numbers Game, which provides a sort of history of baseball statistics.  It came out in like 2005 so it might be a little dated now, but it was a really good read. 

Edited by theroundsquare
i like to spell names correctly

7 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Add me to this list.  I always liked baseball but when at about age 14 I really started to appreciate all the numbers, it took things to a whole new level.

For the others like that, if you haven't already, I'd recommend Alan Schwarz's book The Numbers Game, which provides a sort of history of baseball statistics.  It came out in like 2005 so it might be a little dated now, but it was a really good read. 

That is probably my all-time favorite baseball book.