2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

One of the reasons they've never done this...

They haven't really had prospects worth doing this with. Greene and Tork, I probably would have considered, but Greene got hurt right around the time you would pull the trigger on this. And Tork is a Boras guy.

Before that, Castellanos made some sense, but the CBT implications make that tricky. Because of the AAV nature of these type of deals, you don't really want to be entering into them when you are going to be fighting the tax, taking on a few extra million on your CBT Salary without upgrading the current roster.

Before that, Curtis Granderson signed an extension in 2008 after 2+ years.

And you don't do this with pitchers.

Will Jung and Clark follow, once they get a bit closer and instill more confidence?

46 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Ichiro, per JAWS (which may underrate him a tad, because I do think you need to bake in his pre-MLB Japanese stardom in, if only for the posting restrictions), is a only a few players above Bobby Abreu and below the average HOF-er. I'd vote for him, but I don't view him as the should-be-unanimous-slam-dunk that contemporaries like Albert Pujols and Adrian Beltre are.

I agree Ichiro is not an inner-circle Hall of Famer based on his numbers, but he is an inner-circle Hall of Famer based on his level of fame. I'd be surprised to see him get a lower percentage of the vote than Adrian Beltre. He might even get 99%.

That's looking just at his MLB numbers, of course. Technically, voters are not allowed to take his NPB numbers into consideration. But they will. Plus, he was so much fun to watch, and he was a great interview.

54 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

This team might be interesting enough this year for me to crawl out of my survivalist bunker, shed my camo, and pay attention to what’s going on around me. 

There goes the neighborhood.

• Haha 1

Noticing some questioning of Keith and whether he impacted his future earnings by taking this team-friendly deal, but this statement by Keith's agent kind of exemplifies why deals like this can happen... every player is different, and some may value the security of an early deal like this versus purely betting on oneself once hitting free agency.

53 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Noticing some questioning of Keith and whether he impacted his future earnings by taking this team-friendly deal, but this statement by Keith's agent kind of exemplifies why deals like this can happen... every player is different, and some may value the security of an early deal like this versus purely betting on oneself once hitting free agency.

Understandable. Maybe he wants immediate security and peace of mind with his fiancé so they can start their own life right now and mentally as he takes the next steps he doesn’t begin to get nervous or anxious about their future.  

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

By.

Harris.

(And congrats to Colt!).

This move boosted my confidence in the organization quite a bit.  Harris has made important changes to player development all along, but this is really the first move which indicated how he might go about building the major league roster and managing payroll creatively and boldly.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

This move boosted my confidence in the organization quite a bit.  Harris has made important changes to player development all along, but this is really the first move which indicated how he might go about building the major league roster and managing payroll creatively and boldly.   

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

That was EXACTLY my point!

• Like 1