2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Do you honestly believe Vierling should have gotten the majority of starts at third last year?

I honestly believe they missed the chance to find out they may have had a decent 3B by not giving him more of the time there that they gave to other players who clearly had less potential there than he showed in the time he got there. It was like they finally got around to looking at him there after they had exhausted ever other possibility (He didn't start getting many reps there in August). If the team is taking the position they want to looks at guys all over, at least don't miss what you do have. IDK, maybe he doesn't want to play 3B but I definitely think he should been looked there sooner.

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Seeing how five is below the big league average for starting third basemen and we do not have an established third baseman signed, at least as of yet, I'm going to say over.

The more interesting over/under might be, by which date will the Tigers have started their fifth guy at third base? I'm going to say May 1.

Two questions of interest wrt the increasing number of players per season per position. 1) are overall injury rates also increasing 2) are more players being rotated through the 25 man per year?  IOW, are the same players on the roster playing more positions on the field, or more players playing a given position just because rosters are churning more? 

And actually roster churn and injuries will correlate - you'd want to separate injury call-ups from call-ups that were the other side of a send down/trade/dfa

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One more post on this topic, if you can stand it ...

Here are the most starting players by position for any team since 1956:

• C : 8 (2011 PIT, 1998 NYM, 1960 CHC)
  • 1B: 12 (2023 LAA, 2022 OAK)
  • 2B: 10 (2022 PIT, 2016 SDP)
  • SS: 9 (1987 PIT)
  • 3B: 11 (2022 CIN, 1958 CLE)
  • LF: 15! (2002 CLE)
  • CF: 11 (2012 BOS, 2007 OAK)
  • RF: 14 (2016 SDP)

Not only did none of these teams make the playoffs, only two of them finished above .500, and one of those by just a single game.

Let the chicken/egg debate commence forthwith!

(EDIT: Interesting—when you run a capital C and a colon together and post on this forum, it turns into a smiley face, and you can't stop that!)

Wow Lots of information. What was your first question again 😀. I think it was who we had to play third last year and the answer was nobody but we should have had one and probably should have gotten one this off season as well. Why repeat last year. And it doesn't have to be Chapman. Some vet on a one year contract that can be forced out if Jung performs.

As for the number of players who play third statistics that can be influenced by rest days and injury. I'm curious what percentage of teams have a third baseman that played 120 games or more. You could have a regular and then 4 guys fill in for rest or short time injuries and have 5 players at the position and still have a regular that plays 120 games could you not ?

Stats like math are tricky and for folks much smarter than me.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Actually I've read the arm isn't bad, which is why they were hoping he might manage 3B. It's all the parts that come before the throw.

I saw something recently about being a bit more scattery on throws rather than sharp shootery.  I don't recall where, and honestly it was the first time I've heard/seen of that kind of comment about him, so I don't know how much stock to put into it.

Arm aside, if he could handle 3B, there wouldn't be any debate about it heading into camp.

I honestly believe they missed the chance to find out they may have had a decent 3B by not giving him more of the time there that they gave to other players who clearly had less potential there than he showed in the time he got there. It was like they finally got around to looking at him there after they had exhausted ever other possibility (He didn't start getting many reps there in August). If the team is taking the position they want to looks at guys all over, at least don't miss what you do have. IDK, maybe he doesn't want to play 3B but I definitely think he should been looked there sooner.

In fairness to Hinch, Vierling did get most of the starts at 3B starting mid-August. I guess Hinch could be criticized for not knowing he was the best third baseman in camp the moment he walked into Lakeland in February, but I would regard that as harsh. Vierling is a pretty darn good left fielder, too—arguably the best established left fielder on the team—and that's always been his #1 position.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Shame on you for triggering Edman's high-functioning Asperger's. 😉

Never been diagnosed, but watching Community back in the day and the heavy implications the Abed character had this and me seeing a lot of myself in that character made me think...

• Haha 2

Just now, Edman85 said:

Never been diagnosed, but watching Community back in the day and the heavy implications the Abed character had this and me seeing a lot of myself in that character made me think...

I'm in that boat with you, man ...

Two questions of interest wrt the increasing number of players per season per position. 1) are overall injury rates also increasing 2) are more players being rotated through the 25 man per year?  IOW, are the same players on the roster playing more positions on the field, or more players playing a given position just because rosters are churning more? 

And actually roster churn and injuries will correlate - you'd want to separate injury call-ups from call-ups that were the other side of a send down/trade/dfa

It might also be a recognition that certain regulars, probably a healthy majority, are better when they play 130-140 games than when they play 150+. That's probably an analytics insight.

That's because he is mostly an OF'er and the other guys were mostly IF'ers.

Hinch didn't realize he needed to start his 4th OF'er at 3B until several IF'ers proved that they weren't very good in the IF. At least at 3B...

• Like 1

And actually roster churn and injuries will correlate...

I think chas made an excellent point by looking at record.

Crappy teams will...

churn...

quite a bit more than good teams.

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wow Lots of information. What was your first question again 😀. I think it was who we had to play third last year and the answer was nobody but we should have had one and probably should have gotten one this off season as well. Why repeat last year. And it doesn't have to be Chapman. Some vet on a one year contract that can be forced out if Jung performs...

Again...

The smart play would have been to offer Candelario a 2023 contract instead of dumping him. And then... well before the Trade Deadline, offer him a 1 or 2 year extension (he probably declines) and, if he declines, trade him.

It may not be a solution to a 2024 3B'man, if he's traded... but I would've held onto him as long as I could've until a better option pushes him out the door. Again, even if he lost 3B to, let's just say Keith for example (before the team pushed him over to 2B), Candy could still play 2B, 1B, and be a switch-hitting DH, as needed. He had a usefulness to the Tigers in 2023, and 2024, and "maybe" 2025. (Probably not 2025... but too far away to write anything in stone...).

I'm just sayin'.

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Again...

The smart play would have been to offer Candelario a 2023 contract instead of dumping him. And then... well before the Trade Deadline, offer him a 1 or 2 year extension (he probably declines) and, if he declines, trade him.

It may not be a solution to a 2024 3B'man, if he's traded... but I would've held onto him as long as I could've until a better option pushes him out the door. Again, even if he lost 3B to, let's just say Keith for example (before the team pushed him over to 2B), Candy could still play 2B, 1B, and be a switch-hitting DH, as needed. He had a usefulness to the Tigers in 2023, and 2024, and "maybe" 2025. (Probably not 2025... but too far away to write anything in stone...).

I'm just sayin'.

That's interesting.  He's played all of 2 professional innings as a 2B, in the 2020-2021 Dominican Winter League.

47 minutes ago, casimir said:

That's interesting.  He's played all of 2 professional innings as a 2B, in the 2020-2021 Dominican Winter League.

I thought he played a few games at 2B for the Tigers...

But no, you're correct, he did not... in any MLB year. I thought he did.

1B, 3B and DH only...

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

AND a...

KolTON.

Just an FYI to everyone... I know there's a KoltEn Wong floating around somewhere...

But the guy we signed is actually named KoltOn Ingram.

You know... FYI.

Thanks a ton for that correction.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

(EDIT: Interesting—when you run a capital C and a colon together and post on this forum, it turns into a smiley face, and you can't stop that!)

😄

Wow, it works. How many other morans tried it? 😅

I hear Nick Maton was released? Congratulations to the 2024 Central Division winning Detroit Tigers!!

😄