2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Whitaker's OPS+ by progressive age quartiles:

20-24 94

25-29 119

30-34 122

35-38 131

He was hitting well enough at the end that he could have served as a platoon DH at the very least.  The Tigers wanted him back for another season and Trammell tried to talk him into a 20th season together, but he wasn't interested.  There were also rumors that the Yankees were interested in him after his last season, but that would be just sacrilegious.   

I don’t remember the Yankees.  I do remember Baltimore had interest in Whitaker and Cleveland had interest in Trammell.  What a gut punch that could have been with the Tigers keystone combo split up to New York and Cleveland.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

One of the more underappreciated baseball players of the last 40-50 years imo.

His bat bloomed later in his career.  He wasn’t a consistent over 100 OPS+ until his early 30s.

He played mostly 3B and LF for the Tigers?  I’d have him leadoff as a 3B vs RHPs and leadoff as a LF/RF vs LHPs this season.  Any arguments against it?

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

His bat bloomed later in his career.  He wasn’t a consistent over 100 OPS+ until his early 30s.

He played mostly 3B and LF for the Tigers?  I’d have him leadoff as a 3B vs RHPs and leadoff as a LF/RF vs LHPs this season.  Any arguments against it?

The only problem is he is dead.  

Still might be a better option that what they have though.  

I know it gets talked about sometimes but it's wild to look at those early 90s Tigers offenses and see just how great they were. Like in 1993 they had 6 guys with 400+ ABs finish with 130+ or more. That is insane and that doesn't even include Cecil Fielder who had 30 bombs and a 124+. Also got 90 PAs of 142+ from Eric Davis.

If only they had any semblance of pitching.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know it gets talked about sometimes but it's wild to look at those early 90s Tigers offenses and see just how great they were. Like in 1993 they had 6 guys with 400+ ABs finish with 130+ or more. That is insane and that doesn't even include Cecil Fielder who had 30 bombs and a 124+. Also got 90 PAs of 142+ from Eric Davis.

If only they had any semblance of pitching.

Loved Mickey Tettleton tried to copy is weird batting stance

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Whitaker's OPS+ by progressive age quartiles:

20-24 94

25-29 119

30-34 122

35-38 131

He was hitting well enough at the end that he could have served as a platoon DH at the very least.  The Tigers wanted him back for another season and Trammell tried to talk him into a 20th season together, but he wasn't interested.  There were also rumors that the Yankees were interested in him after his last season, but that would be just sacrilegious.   

You don't see a lot of players with the kind of career batting arc Whittaker had much anymore, if you ever really did. When he came up the best thing he could do for an XBH was a hard ground ball right over the 3b bag, and he was pretty good at it. His value as a hitter was mostly oppo. But as he got older year by year became more of a turn on the ball pull hitting threat to where as an older player was taking full advantage of the short HR distance to right.

Maybe because there is a lot more emphasis in the minors for guys to develop their power quickly and a lot less patience for low OPS glove guys in the majors? Maybe this relates back to the question of why two way players are so hard to find today. Maybe we wash more of them out who might have eventually have found some ISO in their late 20's but teams won't wait for it anymore.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

You don't see a lot of players with the kind of career batting arc Whittaker had much anymore, if you ever really did. When he came up the best thing he could do for an XBH was a hard ground ball right over the 3b bag, and he was pretty good at it. His value as a hitter was mostly oppo. But as he got older year by year became more of a turn on the ball pull hitting threat to where as an older player was taking full advantage of the short HR distance to right.

Maybe because there is a lot more emphasis in the minors for guys to develop their power quickly and a lot less patience for low OPS glove guys in the majors? Maybe this relates back to the question of why two way players are so hard to find today. Maybe we wash more of them out who might have eventually have found some ISO in their late 20's but teams won't wait for it anymore.

Whitaker and Trammell were two of the first players I followed closely from the lower minors all the way to the end.   they both develped so beautifully. I thought it was always going to be like that!  Still waiting for the next Tiger to do that.  😀

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Whitaker and Trammell were two of the first players I followed closely from the lower minors all the way to the end.   they both develped so beautifully. I thought it was always going to be like that!  Still waiting for the next Tiger to do that.  😀

There was one 24 days ago who did this...

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

There was one 24 days ago who did this...

I don't know who you are talkng about, but when I said "by the end" I meant long-time MLB success.  Are you talking about Keith?  I thought that was more recent than 24 days. but he doesn't qualify anyway.  Fryman or Granderson might qualify.  

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Tony Phillips was what we thought McKinstry was back when he was leading the league in OBP in May.

Games started by position with the Tigers

• LF: 201
  • 2B: 188
  • 3B: 134
  • RF: 77
  • DH: 61
  • CF: 32
  • SS: 18

You thought that!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know who you are talkng about, but when I said "by the end" I meant long-time MLB success.  Are you talking about Keith?  I thought that was more recent than 24 days. but he doesn't qualify anyway.  Fryman or Granderson might qualify.  

Granderson, 28.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Good for him. Hope he does well there. 
Lorenzen is currently a free agent. 

F him.  Turned out to be a doucher.

Now, I do like Lorenzen and hope he gets a shot.  After his stint with us, and no-no with the Phils, he looked very ordinary. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Cody's cohost has gotten worse. Almost unsubscribe from feed bad.

He stopped the "Deeeeee-troit" pronunciation.  They've really slowed down on the reliving college days stories and the dating life updates.  So maybe there's hope.

• Haha 1