2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

19 hours ago, casimir said:

They may have quantity of internal candidates for 2024, but do they have a quality candidate for (more than just part of) 2024?

I think they believe it’s possible and they want to explore that for at least one more year, at least with what they have in-house, rather than shut the position off today and try to figure out what to do with everyone they have they think might have been a solution, at least for a year. That won’t make sense to a lot of people.

18 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I doubt Chapman wants to hit in Comerica while trying to reset his market. 

That’s going to be an issue for just about any free agent hitter, including left-handers, until it’s not.

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think they believe it’s possible and they want to explore that for at least one more year, at least with what they have in-house, rather than shut the position off today and try to figure out what to do with everyone they have they think might have been a solution, at least for a year. That won’t make sense to a lot of people.

I don't know.  Might want to keep an eye on waiver claims this season.

I’m not worried about 3B for this season.  We have 3 or 4 guys who can hold it down until Jung is ready.  I like the idea of Chapman on a one-year, but it’s not likely to happen.  We certainly have the budget to overpay for a season, but doubt he will settle for that.

4 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

True but less problematic if it’s a large multi year commitment. 

I agree, it depends. Players do like their legacies, and if they want their legacy to be about home runs, then the idea of hitching their wagon to Comerica and its low park factor for homers might be not be so appealing.

Miggy tested that rule. Juan Gonzalez proved it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I feel about keeping the same old analysts on board to work with Benetti on TV. Clearly none of them are anything like outstanding at the job, and some of them are actually quite inadequate for it. I wonder whether Benetti wanted to bring a new guy in with him but couldn't convince the front office, whether he actually wants to work with these analysts, or whether he doesn't care one way or the other since this might well be a pit stop on his way to a 100% national career.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure how I feel about keeping the same old analysts on board to work with Benetti on TV. Clearly none of them are anything like outstanding at the job, and some of them are actually quite inadequate for it. I wonder whether Benetti wanted to bring a new guy in with him but couldn't convince the front office, whether he actually wants to work with these analysts, or whether he doesn't care one way or the other since this might well be a pit stop on his way to a 100% national career.

Probably closer to C. And maybe D...anything to get out of Reinsdorf's dysfunctional world

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt Benetti cares and am open to the idea that his presence will help the roster of color guys they have.

To me, Shep's biggest problem was that he never got over his 'starstruck' (obsequiousness?) quality when working with ex-players and that basically ruined things for both of them. I don't see Benetti having that problem so maybe that will help the analysts too.

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Probably closer to C. And maybe D...anything to get out of Reinsdorf's dysfunctional world

Maybe D. I don't know. But Benetti is a very ambitious person, and C is squarely within the realm of possibilities. I don't blame Reinsdorf for not being happy with his increasing absences. I think that might wear a little on Tigers fans after a couple years of it, too, and there will be griping about that. At least they have Dan Dickerson in reserve for those instances.

I do like Benetti's work a lot, though, and I think he is a smart and engaging guy on air, and I'm also open to the idea that he can make Petry, Monroe, and Gibson better—although none of them appear to have the same arch, snarky sense of humor he has, and which Steve Stone could work well off of.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not worried about 3B for this season.  We have 3 or 4 guys who can hold it down until Jung is ready.  I like the idea of Chapman on a one-year, but it’s not likely to happen.  We certainly have the budget to overpay for a season, but doubt he will settle for that.

Just like Maton, McKinstry and Nevin were going to hold down third base when they let Candelario go.  

I am fine with them going into the season with what they have, but I'm not going to pretend that third base isn't a problem.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

... but I'm not going to pretend that third base isn't a problem.  

I'm looking at 3B as a problem...

Until proven otherwise. 

If someone takes ownership over the position that's great. If/ when Jung comes up this season and if he can take ownership of the 3B spot... great.

It'll be "classified" as a problem area for the Tigers... until proven otherwise.

I don't mind waiting/ watching to see what happens this season.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Just like Maton, McKinstry and Nevin were going to hold down third base when they let Candelario go.  

I am fine with them going into the season with what they have, but I'm not going to pretend that third base isn't a problem.  

and replace Jung with Keith and JHM and you have last years line about 3rd

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I do like Benetti's work a lot, though, and I think he is a smart and engaging guy on air, and I'm also open to the idea that he can make Petry, Monroe, and Gibson better—although none of them appear to have the same arch, snarky sense of humor he has, and which Steve Stone could work well off of.

Re Steve Stone, anyone who could hang with Harry and Chip Carey along with Hawk Harrelson and Bob Ueker has to be one of a kind. Not to mention putting up with Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein in a weekly talk show.

When we lived in Chicago, I enjoyed him with Harry and tolerated Chip. Occasionally I'd catch Bernstein and Boers on WSCR

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm looking at 3B as a problem...

Until proven otherwise. 

If someone takes ownership over the position that's great. If/ when Jung comes up this season and if he can take ownership of the 3B spot... great.

It'll be "classified" as a problem area for the Tigers... until proven otherwise.

I don't mind waiting/ watching to see what happens this season.

I like Vierling there, as an interim until Jung comes up.  I would hate to sign a declining veteran to play 3B and block our 1st round pick who hit very well last season.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Re Steve Stone, anyone who could hang with Harry and Chip Carey along with Hawk Harrelson and Bob Ueker has to be one of a kind. Not to mention putting up with Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein in a weekly talk show.

When we lived in Chicago, I enjoyed him with Harry and tolerated Chip. Occasionally I'd catch Bernstein and Boers on WSCR

Nobody in the Bally stable is in the same area code as Steve Stone as a baseball broadcaster.

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like Vierling there, as an interim until Jung comes up.  I would hate to sign a declining veteran to play 3B and block our 1st round pick who hit very well last season.

Yeah - there is a lot of hope that Vierling can hold the fort there when all else fails. I think that is a reasonable possibility but I don't think he has near enough track record there nottp realize that he is anything but a sure thing. That's part of my complaint about the Tigers being so slow to give him more run there last season to find out. 

I don't get the impression that Hinch sees Vierling as the primary third baseman.  When asked about it, the first two names he brought up were McKinstry and Ibanez.  I believe Vierling is viewed as a frequently used utility player.  

47 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't get the impression that Hinch sees Vierling as the primary third baseman.  When asked about it, the first two names he brought up were McKinstry and Ibanez.  I believe Vierling is viewed as a frequently used utility player.  

IDK if Vierling is an answer there either. I do know I was pretty thoroughly unimpressed by McKinstry's play at 3rd. IIRC, Ibanez's arm is questionable there. I like Hinch in a lot of area's but the one I don't is that I think he skirts or maybe even crosses the line in holding guys back or playing them out of position to maintain his "optionality" to the point it is probably costing him wins or at least not actually adding any. I think even from a statistical argument, playing the best guys in their best roles most of the time is going get you more wins than being able to very, very, very occasionally win a game on a perfect substitution that ended up being the turn in the game.

My date pool suggestion for this season would the date Keith first plays 3b

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK if Vierling is an answer there either. I do know I was pretty thoroughly unimpressed by McKinstry's play at 3rd. IIRC, Ibanez's arm is questionable there. I like Hinch in a lot of area's but the one I don't is that I think he skirts or maybe even crosses the line in holding guys back or playing them out of position to maintain his "optionality" to the point it is probably costing him wins or at least not actually adding any. I think even from a statistical argument, playing the best guys in their best roles most of the time is going get you more wins than being able to very, very, very occasionally win a game on a perfect substitution that ended up being the turn in the game.

My date pool suggestion for this season would the date Keith first plays 3b

yeah I can see them trying to stretch out Keith's arm and make him work at 3rd and keep Jung at 2nd