2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

16 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Tigers sign Keston Hiura to a minor league deal. Seems like the opposite of a Harris type.

Actually, his OBP was .395 at AAA last year and is .387 for his minor league career.   That seems like a Harris type.    

This could end up being sneaky-good, but he's probably just insurance in case a couple of guys or two get injured. 

Do we have a true backup shortstop?    Plenty of guys are 2B/3B guys, but they don't seem like SS guys.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Actually, his OBP was .395 at AAA last year and is .387 for his minor league career.   That seems like a Harris type.    

This could end up being sneaky-good, but he's probably just insurance in case a couple of guys or two get injured. 

Do we have a true backup shortstop?    Plenty of guys are 2B/3B guys, but they don't seem like SS guys.    

Kreidler and Leonard.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

When they were shopping pre injury Boyd a few...several? years back, Hiura was high on my list of guys they should target.  Had a nice AAA season.  Might be a 3B hopeful?

I remember this, and I remember replying that there was no way the Brewers would give up one of the top prospects in the game (#20 on Pipeline, #13 on Fangraphs) for a guy who'd just pitched to a 9-13 record with a so-so ERA who would project as a 3 or 4 in their rotation.

Hiura did have a pretty fair rookie season, 2 WAR in just 84 games, and then he just kind of fell apart.

They were hold

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I remember this, and I remember replying that there was no way the Brewers would give up one of the top prospects in the game (#20 on Pipeline, #13 on Fangraphs) for a guy who'd just pitched to a 9-13 record with a so-so ERA who would project as a 3 or 4 in their rotation.

Hiura did have a pretty fair rookie season, 2 WAR in just 84 games, and then he just kind of fell apart.

They were holding out for Gleybor Torres.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Looking over his numerals, he’s got a stealthy hard hit rate, a glaring strike out rate, and a reasonable walk rate.  His still only 27 years old.  If he’s nothing more than off 40 insurance for 1B at Toledo, it’s a fine acquisition anyway.

I made my best attempt to calculate every player's CBT Number from last year for the Tigers.

Player	CBT Total
Miguel Cabrera	 $29,200,000.00 
Javier Baez	 $23,333,333.33 
Eduardo Rodriguez	 $15,400,000.00 
Matthew Boyd	 $10,000,000.00 
Jonathan Schoop	 $7,500,000.00 
Michael Lorenzen	 $6,019,032.26 
Austin Meadows	 $4,300,000.00 
Jose Cisnero	 $2,287,500.00 
Tyler Alexander	 $1,875,000.00 
Spencer Turnbull	 $1,825,000.00 
Chasen Shreve	 $1,270,122.58 
Rony Garcia	 $830,000.00 
Trey Wingenter	 $798,387.10 
Tarik Skubal	 $743,700.00 
Zach McKinstry	 $734,500.00 
Casey Mize	 $734,200.00 
Matt Manning	 $729,200.00 
Riley Greene	 $727,800.00 
Matt Vierling	 $727,100.00 
Jason Foley	 $726,200.00 
Alex Lange	 $726,000.00 
Jake Rogers	 $726,000.00 
Beau Brieske	 $724,400.00 
Kerry Carpenter	 $723,700.00 
Spencer Torkelson	 $723,100.00 
Mason Englert	 $720,000.00 
Freddy Pacheco	 $720,000.00 
Akil Baddoo	 $706,441.77 
Will Vest	 $680,000.00 
Tyler Holton	 $668,163.44 
Andy Ibanez	 $636,635.48 
Zack Short	 $622,806.45 
Eric Haase	 $572,980.65 
Nick Maton	 $566,243.23 
Joey Wentz	 $550,794.09 
Alex Faedo	 $502,388.99 
Reese Olson	 $492,490.32 
Brendan White	 $466,304.30 
Tyler Nevin	 $425,769.89 
Garrett Hill	 $272,316.13 
Zach Logue	 $241,500.00 
Andrew Vasquez	 $225,607.53 
Andre Lipcius	 $217,833.33 
Parker Meadows	 $208,103.23 
Ryan Kreidler	 $169,374.19 
Carson Kelly	 $166,451.61 
Jake Marisnick	 $166,451.61 
Nick Solak	 $120,761.98 
Miguel Diaz	 $120,000.00 
Angel De Jesus	 $117,400.00 
Mario Feliciano	 $117,400.00 
Donny Sands	 $117,400.00 
Braden Bristo	 $106,921.51 
Sawyer Gipson-Long	 $85,161.29 
Blair Calvo	 $66,274.19 
Wenceel Perez	 $58,800.00 
Brenan Hanifee	 $46,451.61 
Eddys Leonard	 $38,502.15 
Isan Diaz	 $29,453.76 
Anthony Misiewicz	 $28,392.92 
Seth Elledge	 $23,353.76 
Bennett Sousa	 $4,454.97 
Edwin Uceta	 $2,047.03 
Player Benefits	 $16,500,000.00 
Pre-Arb Pool	 $1,666,666.67 
Total	 $142,632,373.36 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, casimir said:

Looking over his numerals, he’s got a stealthy hard hit rate, a glaring strike out rate, and a reasonable walk rate.  His still only 27 years old.  If he’s nothing more than off 40 insurance for 1B at Toledo, it’s a fine acquisition anyway.

Not to mention the Mudhens need a 1B anyway. Looking at who played there last season, Nevin is gone, Ibanez will likely be in Detroit, Lipcius should be at 2B or 3B.

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not to mention the Mudhens need a 1B anyway. Looking at who played there last season, Nevin is gone, Ibanez will likely be in Detroit, Lipcius should be at 2B or 3B.

Wow.  I knew catchers handled 1B quite a bit for the 2023 Hens, but I didn’t realize it was about half of the innings.

You bring up Lipcius at 2B or 3B.  I would think Jung at either of those will be the first lineup decision and Lipcius gets the other of those two defensive assignments.   So, will flexibility be the routine down there or will Jung get more 2B repetitions with a longer term view on Keith getting over to 3B?  

Heck, what kind of leash does Lipcius have anyway?  I’d imagine he’s probably on the slippery slope side of the 40 to begin with given his strengths and weaknesses.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lipcius and Kreidler both pretty much at their "hit or go home" year I would think. IDK, Kreidler's glove may be good enough to keep him for some years as minor league regular if he wants it.

42 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lipcius and Kreidler both pretty much at their "hit or go home" year I would think. IDK, Kreidler's glove may be good enough to keep him for some years as minor league regular if he wants it.

A potential Toledo IF of Kreidler, Lipcius, and Leonard from the 40 and Malloy, Jung, and Hiura off of the 40.

Add in Baddo and Bigbie around the OF.  Some actual SP in the rotation with Dingler behind the dish.  Damn, Toledo have a little something something this season.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Cody Cohost Rant for the Week: No, the Rangers City Connect jerseys were just as bad at the end of the season as they were at the beginning.

I always love when he goes on some long winded theory and then he asked Cody what he thinks and responds with a No your wrong

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Unless the Tigers make a move this spring, which is certainly well within the realm of possibility, I think Kreidler has the edge over Malloy because of backup versatility, at least to start the season with.

And with no OF injuries, Baddoo to Toledo.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Unless the Tigers make a move this spring, which is certainly well within the realm of possibility, I think Kreidler has the edge over Malloy because of backup versatility, at least to start the season with.

I also don’t think they’ll start the clock on Malloy, unless he’s a starter.  Makes sense for to let him get the defensive reps in the OF at Toledo.

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I also don’t think they’ll start the clock on Malloy, unless he’s a starter.  Makes sense for to let him get the defensive reps in the OF at Toledo.

I think Stavenhagen mentioned a good point about Malloy on the pod today.  Last year Malloy was in a new organization, maybe didn’t feel all that comfortable from the get go.  He returns, he’s not the new guy, so maybe (and this is my crap at the wall theory) he feels more at ease and it shows on the field this season?

Ok, fine, 3B isn’t going to happen.  But can he handle a corner OF spot and bring that bat with him to the bigs?  Give him LF or RF, let him stay on the grass.  In fairness, he wasn’t jerked around the field from game to game last season, so I don’t think that was an adverse variable.  But Keith has that contract and Jung has some expectation about him.  So, they are IFs by trade, Malloy probably isn’t.

And as you’ve mentioned, there’s no clock running yet, no reason to start it until it needs to.  His offense, if it translates, would be welcome in Detroit.  But let him work on being a more complete player in Toledo while he can.

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

... And as you’ve mentioned, there’s no clock running yet, no reason to start it until it needs to.  His offense, if it translates, would be welcome in Detroit.  But let him work on being a more complete player in Toledo while he can.

I was going to see he'd be a great replacement for Canha after he leaves as a FA after this year...

But I think Canha is actually signed through 2025...

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is probably true.

Rogers and Kelly.  Torkelson and Keith on the right side of the IF.  Baez at SS.  Greene, Meadows, Canha, and Carpenter as the OF and DH on most days.  That’s 8 of the likely 13 position players.

Vierling, McKinstry, and Ibanez are likely on team as 3B and bench options.  That’s 11 after that trio.

Now there’s 2 lockers to fill from among Lipcius, Perez, Kreidler, Leonard, and Baddoo (looking only at the 40 man roster).  I don’t think Lipcius showed enough in his debut to consider him at this time.  Maybe he has an outstanding camp, that’s probably the only option.   Perez probably needs more time at AAA, and now that I think of it, I’m pretty sure I forgot about him when thinking about Toledo’s potential IF.  Baddoo is the only OF of the bunch, but the Tigers already have 3 lefty hitting OFs going north.  Kreidler might be the best defender of the IF here, but will that be enough?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of the last roles filled by someone not already in the organization.  If they could find a utility player that can play a legit CF if needed, I would think Harris would be all over that.  I know a lot of focus is on the question of 3B, but I don’t know how comfortable I feel about the CF depth.  Meadows is unproven offensively, and I don’t think this team has enough offense.  It could work but there’s some risk there.  Greene and Vierling can play up the middle as well, but I get the impression that’s not how the Tigers want to go about it.  And that’s it as far as CF depth unless anyone feels like McKinstry is an option.

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was going to see he'd be a great replacement for Canha after he leaves as a FA after this year...

But I think Canha is actually signed through 2025...

Nope, free agent after this season.  Malloy taking his place on the 40 works well.  I think that’s part of the reason for acquiring Canha.  He’s a known quantity with only one season of obligation.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Nope, free agent after this season.  Malloy taking his place on the 40 works well.  I think that’s part of the reason for acquiring Canha.  He’s a known quantity with only one season of obligation.

I thought I saw his contract up/ he's a free agent after 2025? I just googled it so I didn't really look hard...