2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

... Perez...

I wasn't really thinking about Perez...

But...

He's a switch-hitter. Has played a lot of 2B. He has good speed and can steal bases at a high-success rate. He's a high-contact/ high-OBP type of guy... and they had him playing a lot of OF (I think CF) in Toledo.

He might be a really interesting piece to add as a bench/ 13th guy.

IMO.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I thought I saw his contract up/ he's a free agent after 2025? I just googled it so I didn't really look hard...

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/detroit-tigers/

This season was actually an option that the Tigers picked up after trading for him.  He’ll be a free agent after the World Series parade, and hopefully he has some new finger jewelry to remember his time in Detroit.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I wasn't really thinking about Perez...

But...

He's a switch-hitter. Has played a lot of 2B. He has good speed and can steal bases at a high-success rate. He's a high-contact/ high-OBP type of guy... and they had him playing a lot of OF (I think CF) in Toledo.

He might be a really interesting piece to add as a bench/ 13th guy.

IMO.

Looks like Perez played 24 games in CF last season.  I think it’s a fine idea if he can hack it.  I’m just going off of memory right now, but I don’t think there’s much CF talent in the upper end of the farm system.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Looks like Perez played 24 games in CF last season.  I think it’s a fine idea if he can hack it.  I’m just going off of memory right now, but I don’t think there’s much CF talent in the upper end of the farm system.

Don't sleep on Eddys Leonard either, the beat writers have been calling him a dark horse candidate all offseason and he has CF, 2B and SS possibilities. 

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was going to see he'd be a great replacement for Canha after he leaves as a FA after this year...

But I think Canha is actually signed through 2025...

I believe he is only signed through this year.  

Note: Cas beat me to it.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I thought I saw his contract up/ he's a free agent after 2025? I just googled it so I didn't really look hard...

When they say FA in 2025 on Baseball Reference, it means after 2024.  I think this is confusing, but I was once told on Twitter that I was stupid for thinking that and that 2025 was the only way to think about it.  

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Sort of a right handed Badoo, hits lefties, can handle center.

Maybe.  Just looked at his stats and only 4 games played in CF the last two seasons.  I suppose he could have been pushed to corner in the Reds’ system, I don’t know.

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

After losing developing years because of Covid, many younger players are....older? If that makes sense?

Yes, kind of.  He played 4 seasons in college and entered rookie ball in 2019 at the age of 22.  2020 was COVID.  Since then, he has been around the age of his competition within the league (AA/AAA) and done reasonably well I guess.  One thing that jumps out to me is that his BB/SO improved from AA to AAA.

image.thumb.png.3469aadd1d96310e836e0a30e6020555.png

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Wither Zach McKinstry...

It does make the bench a little bit righty-heavy for infield, assuming Ibanez/Vierling stick around and Urshela makes the team (which he should).

I wonder if Urshela's ability to play SS makes the idea of bringing Kreidler with the team to Chicago less likely as well.... 

Edited by mtutiger

I've got the "bench+3B" as Kelly, Vierling, McKinstry, Ibanez, Urshela. Some of the RHB will spell Meadows, Keith, Carpenter, Greene. One man's MLB/AAA position players. I just bumped Jung down to Erie, but do think he's in Toledo eventually. I suspect Hopkins is the 40 man move.

image.png.038d76f65c7f75b2721decaf4808f110.png

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I've got the "bench+3B" as Kelly, Vierling, McKinstry, Ibanez, Urshela. Some of the RHB will spell Meadows, Keith, Carpenter, Greene. One man's MLB/AAA position players. I just bumped Jung down to Erie, but do think he's in Toledo eventually. I suspect Hopkins is the 40 man move.

image.png.038d76f65c7f75b2721decaf4808f110.png

Oh my, I thought Don Kelly was coming back for a second.