2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

12 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

A likely candidate. Nick Maton might be conceivable as well.

Maton is out of options and doesn't seem to be an incumbent of any sort for the major league roster.

Is Kreidler out of options?  I suspect he might also want to rent rather than buy.

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is Kreidler out of options?  I suspect he might also want to rent rather than buy.

Apparently 2 remaining. He's been in Detroit in '22 and '23, so's he's been sent back twice I but guess he's not to 5 yrs yet either so he could still have two - which agrees with what fangraphs says (almost to bottom of page):

ttps://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/tigers

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Apparently 2 remaining. He's been in Detroit in '22 and '23, so's he's been sent back twice I but guess he's not to 5 yrs yet either so he could still have two - which agrees with what fangraphs says (almost to bottom of page):

ttps://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/tigers

He was not on the 40 man roster until being called up in 2022, and was never sent down. He did not use an option year that year. He had two remaining and has a good shot at being eligible for a fourth.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

They can't dfa Maton. He's injured.

Ok - now you have me confused. How does that relate to everyone having to come off the long term DL in Nov?   (and as I look at his transaction log it doesn't shows him DL'd at all(?) but we know he had he knee worked on.....)

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ok - now you have me confused. How does that relate to everyone having to come off the long term DL in Nov?   (and as I look at his transaction log it doesn't shows him DL'd at all(?) but we know he had he knee worked on.....)

There's a window in November where teams are allowed to make those moves.

OK, Tigers. The Lions are putting pressure on you. We need a deep playoff run from you to create some interest. All of people's extra $$'s are being spent on the Lions. Unless you want to play in front of an empty stadium, I suggest you bring your A game. You need to earn fan interest now, we're very picky who we root for. 😆😆😆

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the fans will start coming back this year, and the Lions good season might even help a little.

I don't know. Opening day, yes. But if the Tigers get off to another terrible start, they may stay away. But who knows? We supported the Lions for decades of terrible play.

8 hours ago, Edman85 said:

They can't dfa Maton. He's injured.

Maybe it’s more like they can’t to DFA him, but he’s injured?

I kind of feel bad for him.  I suspect he played out of position too much (he didn’t seem to have the reaction to play 3rd and looked more comfortable up the middle) and he was lost at the plate.  I don’t know if maybe one fed the other and/or he could just never get out of it.  They certainly allowed him time to reverse his season.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't know. Opening day, yes. But if the Tigers get off to another terrible start, they may stay away. But who knows? We supported the Lions for decades of terrible play.

Bold prediction: I don’t think the Tigers will get off to a terrible start. 

Just now, chasfh said:

Not so bold! Most teams don't get off to terrible starts and I don't think there is any systematic reason why the Tigers have been doing so.  It's just bad luck and maybe injuries.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Not so bold! Most teams don't get off to terrible starts and I don't think there is any systematic reason why the Tigers have been doing so.  It's just bad luck and maybe injuries.  

Strength of schedule is part of the issue too... the past couple of seasons, the Tigers have had really tough April schedules. They get the Rays and Rangers in the month of April, but the overall schedule starts off with the Jerk Sox, A's, Mets and Pirates, which isn't exactly murderers row.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh, it's not a prediction. I'm sure opening day will be a celebration. Summer is here! (Even if it snows). But I mean their record after the 1st 40 games or so. Please let them be over .500.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

If it happens again the outcome will start arguing that there is a systemic reason. If it's random it's getting about time we get thrown the upside of the distribution!

Clearly they believe Keith is a can't miss. So the position questions hinge around Jung/3B and Meadows. Can Meadows hit, can Jung get to the majors fast, and if not can Vierling play above replacement 3B? Beyond those questions ST will be about starters 4 & 5, Lange, and the last spots in the pen. A less wide open ST than in recent seasons.  So I hope we see a lot more playing time by the players who are actually going to be playing so they will be ready and fewer ABs for minor league players who may be interesting but are of only future interest than the last couple of STs.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Clearly they believe Keith is a can't miss. So the position questions hinge around Jung/3B and Meadows. Can Meadows hit, can Jung get to the majors fast, and if not can Vierling play above replacement 3B? Beyond those questions ST will be about starters 4 & 5, Lange, and the last spots in the pen. A less wide open ST than in recent seasons.  So I hope we see a lot more playing time by the players who are actually going to be playing so they will be ready and fewer ABs for minor league players who may be interesting but are of only future interest than the last couple of STs.

I think I agree with you about the position players.  They're still young enough that they need camp to develop and refine skills rather than in years way past where we've seen veterans need spring to knock off the rust or more recently just playing a bunch of guys to see who might be able to stick.  3B and a couple of bench roles are probably what's up for grabs.  The one thing that seems lacking to me is a RHH CF if Vierling is counted on at 3B.  Or are we looking at Ibanez at 3B vs LHP and Vierling in CF?

As for the pitching, I think there are spots that are definitely claimed, but still some others that are up for grabs.  Lange is a good example and I think there's reasonable doubt about him.  Additionally, I think there are questions about how to cover 1,400 innings with 13 daily active roster spots.  How to keep those arms at the MLB healthy as much as possible and also the reserves in Toledo ready to fill in when needed.