2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think we just have to let that play out...

Make adjustments at a future point in time when those adjustments reveal themselves as necessary.

Until then, my mentality is to: just let it play out.

isnt that what we hated AL for doing? why is it that they treat 3rd like is where you just throw someone?

Edited by Toddwert

53 minutes ago, casimir said:

The more I think about it, the more I worry about the Tigers banking too much on Meadows as the primary CF. 

I've felt pretty good about Meadows so far,  just because I haven't thought he reached a point where he looked over matched at the plate. Of course, hitters can and do go from looking good to looking bad for no obvious reason all the time......

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't have any hard info, but I get the impression that they think the shoulder injury has left him with a permanent deficit.

yeah I've heard/ read the same thing .. they loved Keith to be the 3rd baseman of the future otherwise

36 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

isnt that what we hated AL for doing? why is it that they treat 3rd like is where you just throw someone?

We hated Al because he fell in love with subpar players (like Willi, etc...) and wouldn't move off of them. And was too lazy to sift through the waiver wire or whatever it took to come up with some other solution/ player.

If Jung is up by July-ish, doesn't it make your point moot (if he sticks)? 

Again... I'm not going to worry about any short-term pain... as long as we get long-term solutions.

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We hated Al because he fell in love with subpar players (like Willi, etc...) and wouldn't move off of them

And then still didn't do the right thing. I think it was obvious from pretty much day one that Willi wasn't a MLB middle IF. If they had sent him straight to LF they might have gotten more of the production out him the Twins did last year.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

So my question earlier was a bit uninformed yet rhetorical based on casual readings not rising to actual studying. My perception is we have a young group with no claim on position.  We are sticking them where they cause the least harm.  That’s kind of troublesome. 

I think the defense could be troublesome.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've felt pretty good about Meadows so far,  just because I haven't thought he reached a point where he looked over matched at the plate. Of course, hitters can and do go from looking good to looking bad for no obvious reason all the time......

I wouldn’t write him off after 145 PAs.  But I think there should be some wait and see yet.

He’s clearly the best defensive CF option on what isn’t a strong defensive team.  But the problem is they also need offense where they can scrape it from.  It’s not exactly a deep lineup.  I know there’s lots of hope for the rookie IFs to make solid debuts and for the younger players to stay healthy keep trending upwards and for Canha to be solid despite aging and for Baez to do something at the plate and for 3B to not be an offensive hole….  There’s a lot of ifs and they ain’t all going to go the right way.  But just how many will work out favorably?

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

No I did not. Guilty. Just going off the rating in your post and articles I have read. For instance I’ve read Keith’s arm is insufficient for third base. Not sure if true. Jung looks like a catcher to me so third seems possible plus his arm is written about as great per his coaches. Stuff like that.

But best analysis is on this board for sure. So thanks to everyone. 

Jung's arm is average, at best. Keith had a plus arm, but has needed to wind up and has had trouble with different arm angles, however, a lot of these defensive reports on him are post injury and after bulking up. Some training, conditioning and healing may offset a lot of concerns.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

We hated Al because he fell in love with subpar players (like Willi, etc...) and wouldn't move off of them. And was too lazy to sift through the waiver wire or whatever it took to come up with some other solution/ player.

If Jung is up by July-ish, doesn't it make your point moot (if he sticks)? 

Again... I'm not going to worry about any short-term pain... as long as we get long-term solutions.

he hasnt even played that much at third just a few weeks during Arizona fall League ... lets wait a bit before we call him the next Travis Fryman 

Edited by Toddwert

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

he hasnt even played that much at third just a few weeks during Arizona League ... lets wait a bit before we call him the next Travis Fryman 

There are guys who are sort of born fielders - and I don't mean in the sense of necessarily being all-stars but just in the sense that they have the instincts to make the right play the right way and for them moving from one position to another doesn't really phase them - then there are the guys that have to work at it - who have to learn what they have to do at each spot on the field. When Keith talks about fielding he sounds like he's in the second group. When Jung talks about it it sounds like he's in the 1st.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Ok—I’ll share my 2026 lineup.  But no more, unless you frequent and contribute to my Patreon page

CF Clark

SS McGonigle 

LF Greene

2B Keith

1B Tork

3B Jung

DH Malloy

RF Carpenter

C  Dingler

Still can't get your OnlyFans page reinstated?

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it would take a major move to see Jung at 2B. It would mean something like:

-Keith to 1b and Tork traded, 

-Meadows doesn't make the team making it possible for another LHH (Keith) to move to the OF in his place. (Seems unlikely Hinch would like an all LLH OF on any regular basis.)

-Keith is a washout and the Tigers just burned ~$30M

So, Keith at 3B is out in your scenario?

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

So, Keith at 3B is out in your scenario?

Harris did leave the door slightly ajar for the future - I took that to mean that if down the road (as in maybe next year) Keith's shoulder health proves out the fact that he can play 3B comes back into the mix. But my take would be that if can manage 2b at all reasonably, they want to protect his arm for at least this season.

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Just looked at the 1st round of the 2018 draft. Pretty terrible year. Mize won't have to do a lot to still end up the best player taken.

I hate it when people make criticisms of him and Tork about not being worth a 1/1 draft status.  These aren't Matt Bush/Verlander comparisons.

Nott every 1/1 is ARod or Chipper. Lots of Brien Taylor, Phil Nevin, and Paul Wilsons.  Your most likely reasonable best hope is a Darin Erstad or Pat Burrell.  Franchise players identified at that point are few.

• Like 2