2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would have went with Matt Anderson honestly. But to each their own.

The Curious Case of Matt Anderson - Vintage Detroit Collection

I am using the most recent Tigers I could find to wear these numbers.

Besides, I don't think of Matt Anderson as having any more a of a claim to being an integral part of Tigers' history than Chrstin Stewart does.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I am using the most recent Tigers I could find to wear these numbers.

Besides, I don't think of Matt Anderson as having any more a of a claim to being an integral part of Tigers' history than Chrstin Stewart does.

John Wockenfuss did though.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Colt Keith's grandma just liked one of my tweets.  Got to be careful with player relatives.  

I think McCanns wife followed me at one point. She was probably trolling for fans. I’m nobody special.  Or it wasnt her. 

As long as we steer clear of the father of Casper Wells it should be safe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Colt Keith's grandma just liked one of my tweets.  Got to be careful with player relatives.  

SGL's mom follows me I think. All because I was speculating on 40 man stuff right after he was traded.

Joe Jimenez used to search himself on twitter, and it showed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I think McCanns wife followed me at one point. She was probably trolling for fans. I’m nobody special.  Or it wasnt her. 

As long as we steer clear of the father of Casper Wells it should be safe. 

Didn’t he threatenvto come to somebody's town and kick their butt? A true MoTown classic!

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

AP8202260124-1024x703.jpg

There's so much going on in this picture.

Rozema is trying to pick off his brother in law Gibson, but can we be certain he just threw the ball in the air or did he flub throw the ball that's on the ground there?  And Wockenfuss isn't even extending an arm to catch the ball.  What, is he going to catch it with his teeth?

There's no foul line chalked on the field.  Heather Nabozny wouldn't stand for that now.  Of course, she wasn't in charge of it then, heck, she might not have even been alive then.

Roger Craig has a hand in his pants.  I guess that's an old baseball guy move, maybe something to do with the waste banding on those pants.

Morris appears to be sitting down.  Hold on, get off my lawn Morris is literally sitting on the lawn during drills?  What gives there?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, casimir said:

There's so much going on in this picture.

Rozema is trying to pick off his brother in law Gibson, but can we be certain he just threw the ball in the air or did he flub throw the ball that's on the ground there?  And Wockenfuss isn't even extending an arm to catch the ball.  What, is he going to catch it with his teeth?

There's no foul line chalked on the field.  Heather Nabozny wouldn't stand for that now.  Of course, she wasn't in charge of it then, heck, she might not have even been alive then.

Roger Craig has a hand in his pants.  I guess that's an old baseball guy move, maybe something to do with the waste banding on those pants.

Morris appears to be sitting down.  Hold on, get off my lawn Morris is literally sitting on the lawn during drills?  What gives there?

I think Rozema is throwing the ball in the air, and not very fast, which is why Wockenfuss doesn’t have his glove up and extended, although also, the ball is only about halfway there and big league players have great reflexes. I don’t think Gibson is necessarily busting his ass to get back to the base. Given this and the smiling casualness that everyone else—probably all pitchers being overseen by their pitching coach—seems to be displaying, I’m gonna guess this is the first pickoff practice of spring training in late February 1984. The ball on the ground is probably some other pitcher’s prior effort during this drill. The cap and lefty glove on the ground are almost certainly those of Gibson, who was conscripted for the drill. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Rozema is throwing the ball in the air, and not very fast, which is why Wockenfuss doesn’t have his glove up and extended, although also, the ball is only about halfway there and big league players have great reflexes. I don’t think Gibson is necessarily busting his ass to get back to the base. Given this and the smiling casualness that everyone else—probably all pitchers being overseen by their pitching coach—seems to be displaying, I’m gonna guess this is the first pickoff practice of spring training in late February 1984. The ball on the ground is probably some other pitcher’s prior effort during this drill. The cap and lefty glove on the ground are almost certainly those of Gibson, who was conscripted for the drill. 

Clearly my version of the events was better.

(On options at third base)

“I think that in some ways we have to get away from the thought that every single position has to have the born and bred player right there, right now and leave some optionality for things to emerge. Andy Ibanez is an example. If you look at what he did after June last year, specifically against left-handed pitching, he was a bonafide player that I could play against every lefty whenever we wanted. Zach McKinstry is gonna get some time over there as a left-handed utility player. He’ll move around the field. There was a stretch in time where he handled right-handed pitching, so that sets up a natural platoon for just those two (Ibanez and McKinstry).

“Matt Vierling’s going to play a little bit of third base. He played centerfield in the World Series a couple of years ago. He can go from the infield to the outfield.

“We’ll see what happens with young prospects like Jace Jung and we’ll see where Colt ends up, at second or third. There are questions for sure. I think one thing we’re trying to establish is that we’re going to give ourselves optionality at some of these positions. We’ll be able to piece it together and maybe have a better player than one singular guy.”

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2024/02/tigers-manager-talks-colt-keith-javier-baez-and-his-plans-for-third-base.html

• Like 1