2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Gibson is teaching them about secondary leads.  

It starts with the sanitary/stirrup combo during the era.  More sanitary meant more speed.  Just look at Gibson's vs Wockenfuss'.  Honestly, Wockenfuss probably should have had navy sanitaries, but he showed more stirrup which was mandatory for slower guys.

ESPN hates the tigers

3. Detroit Tigers ($318 million)
Last year: 21st, $154 million

Top-100 prospects: 6

I was critical of the Tigers' choice at the top of the 2021 MLB draft. My top two prospects were prep shortstops and both were on the board for the third overall pick due to bonus pool shenanigans, but the Tigers instead took a prep right-hander and paid him nearly $7 million. Now that right-hander, Jackson Jobe (10th on the Top 100), is just ahead of those two prep shortstops: Jordan Lawlar (17th) and Marcelo Mayer (28th). That decision did look awful when Jobe struggled early in his pro career -- and could still ultimately be the wrong choice -- but departed general manager Al Avila and his scouting staff would deserve praise if this projection does hold. As I've written about at length, taking prep pitchers that high is the wrong choice about 90% of the time but teams still do it to try to land an ace; Jobe could now be that.

Detroit's new administration had a strong draft in 2023, landing Max Clark and my pick to click Kevin McGonigle. Some gains in the system -- led by Colt Keith, Jace Jung, Parker Meadows, Ty Madden, Keider Montero, Brant Hurter and Troy Melton -- give some hope to a fanbase that hasn't seen the org crack .500 since 2016. Of the graduated potential cornerstone players now in the majors, Riley Greene, Spencer Torkelson and Tarik Skubal look like the yesses while Kerry Carpenter, Matt Manning, Reese Olson, Casey Mize, and Alex Lange are the maybes. If Keith and Meadows can assert themselves into that first group in the first half of 2024, and Jobe arrives in the second half, it'll be much easier to see how this plan can come together for a homegrown contending club.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39437646/top-30-mlb-farm-systems-prospects-list-2024-kiley-mcdaniel-cubs-orioles-tigers-padres

premium link

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:43 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Left a little more door open for Keith at 3B than the in some of the local interviews.

I still got the impression from this interview that Keith will be the primary second baseman.  Hinch is always going to talk about positional versatility, but this quote here is about as certain as you'll hear from Hinch:

He is going to play second base for the most part

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I still got the impression from this interview that Keith will be the primary second baseman.  Hinch is always going to talk about positional versatility, but this quote here is about as certain as you'll hear from Hinch:

They are probably open to him playing 3rd in theory only as far as his arm health stabilizes - so it could be some but likely none - depending. 

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Or Keith could end up at first base....hopefully Tork notices this and stays motivated and works on his "D". Overall team competition should only help us.

IDK what the prescription is for Tork. He can make decent plays for 1b, it's not his catching ability per se so much as either his concentration lapses or he just gets ahead of himself before he completes a catch. At any rate I think it's more mental than physical with him.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK what the prescription is for Tork. He can make decent plays for 1b, it's not his catching ability per se so much as either his concentration lapses or he just gets ahead of himself before he completes a catch. At any rate I think it's more mental than physical with him.

Seems like as good an explanation as any and more than I would know. He does seem a bit "mechanical" and that would play in with someone who is thinking and not reacting. I just hope he improves being such an integral part of our ascent. 

It’s nice to know that I can come here and experience smart people saying intelligent things. This is the only place I really need to go to to learn more about the Tigers. This place is like a page for connoisseurs of the Studebaker Avanti. There aren’t a lot of us, but the people who are here really know their ****. I’m grateful that through all these years, Scott has still kept this place going in one way or another. Thank you, all of you. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oblong said:

My visual take on Tork from being at the games is he has no range. He makes picks that look good but that isn’t enough.  He’s a liability on the field. 

I agree with you about Torkelson’s range.  And if Keith’s range is also suspect, I hope the pitching is such to discourage grounders to the right side.