2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Definitely fits within the calculus of half my age plus 15 category.  

I though it was half your age plus 7.  Otherwise, a 20-year old could only date women 25 or older.  At what point does the formula change?

Edited by Tiger337

I think Tork is going to have to come off the field completely before long, which, at age 24, that realization is a stark omen for his career. If he wants to get the big money, he’s going to have to rack up 40+ homers and 900-ish OPS year in and year out. He needs a bat that will win way more games than his glove will lose. And honestly, I think he might be too far along to learn to be much better on the dirt. Marginally better, perhaps. But I think Tork will always profile as among the worst defenders at first base in the game.

In that light, I don’t think Tork is going to be a long-term asset for the Tigers. As long as the Harris administration is in control, I don’t see them giving big contracts of high single-digit years and way into the nine figures for a guy of his profile. Perhaps we might try to trade him, but that would be tricky for a team that’s in contention which, perhaps by the time we get to the point when it’s time to determining trade partners for him, we should be well into. And I don’t know what kind of return we get for an underperforming 1/1 pick while the team is contending for pennants. It’s going to look funny if we do that, and we’ll be lowballed for him. Perhaps, though, we’d just take what we can get for him at the time.

The other likely approach I can think of is to assume Tork will clock his six years here and then Boras will take him onto the open market, and we don’t bid for him. In the meantime, the Tigers would have to plan for and develop his replacement, which we have until 2029 to do. I think this is probably more likely than just trade, but I also can see us taking what we can get for him sooner than that just so we don’t have to pay him for Arb 3 or even Arb 2. Then Tork plays out his career as a second-division star, still retires a hundred-millionaire, and is enshrined in the Hall of Very Good. Let’s check back in 2040 to see how it all worked out.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought it was half your age plus 7.  Otherwise, a 20-year old could only date women 25 or older.  At what point does the formula change?

I looked it up it is plus 7.  At my age I'm probably better off with the older number.

edit

I've been married for 45 years, so it doesn't matter.

Edited by CMRivdogs

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think Tork is going to have to come off the field completely before long, which, at age 24, that realization is a stark omen for his career. If he wants to get the big money, he’s going to have to rack up 40+ homers and 900-ish OPS year in and year out. He needs a bat that will win way more games than his glove will lose. And honestly, I think he might be too far along to learn to be much better on the dirt. Marginally better, perhaps. But I think Tork will always profile as among the worst defenders at first base in the game.

In that light, I don’t think Tork is going to be a long-term asset for the Tigers. As long as the Harris administration is in control, I don’t see them giving big contracts of high single-digit years and way into the nine figures for a guy of his profile. Perhaps we might try to trade him, but that would be tricky for a team that’s in contention which, perhaps by the time we get to the point when it’s time to determining trade partners for him, we should be well into. And I don’t know what kind of return we get for an underperforming 1/1 pick while the team is contending for pennants. It’s going to look funny if we do that, and we’ll be lowballed for him. Perhaps, though, we’d just take what we can get for him at the time.

The other likely approach I can think of is to assume Tork will clock his six years here and then Boras will take him onto the open market, and we don’t bid for him. In the meantime, the Tigers would have to plan for and develop his replacement, which we have until 2029 to do. I think this is probably more likely than just trade, but I also can see us taking what we can get for him sooner than that just so we don’t have to pay him for Arb 3 or even Arb 2. Then Tork plays out his career as a second-division star, still retires a hundred-millionaire, and is enshrined in the Hall of Very Good. Let’s check back in 2040 to see how it all worked out.

Don't agree with the premises of the 1st part of this but to plan on Boras taking him to free agency is definitely advisable.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Didn't know he was here long enough to get a picture of him playing. 

He wasn't in Detroit long and didn't put up great numbers, but he had intangibles which you can't measure.  He was the heart and soul of the 2004 Tigers.  

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He wasn't in Detroit long and didn't put up great numbers, but he had intangibles which you can't measure.  He was the heart and soul of the 2004 Tigers.  

I remember around the time he signed, somebody in my dorm's dad from Michigan came to visit. Knowing I was a Tigers fan, we were introduced. He was gushing about Vina, gushing, and I remember being steadfast about him not being any good.

Just now, Edman85 said:

I remember around the time he signed, somebody in my dorm's dad from Michigan came to visit. Knowing I was a Tigers fan, we were introduced. He was gushing about Vina, gushing, and I remember being steadfast about him not being any good.

was it Jake? 

I delivered a pizza to Vina at the Hyatt when he was with the Brewers.  They wouldn’t let us up to the rooms so we had to call them to come down.  He was with Bob Wickman.  He was very short but stocky. Looked like a college wrestler.  Wickman looked like a gas station attendant who sometimes would be allowed to work on the cars.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

I delivered a pizza to Vina at the Hyatt when he was with the Brewers.  They wouldn’t let us up to the rooms so we had to call them to come down.  He was with Bob Wickman.  He was very short but stocky. Looked like a college wrestler.  Wickman looked like a gas station attendant who sometimes would be allowed to work on the cars.  

Did you get tipped well?

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Did you get tipped well?

Yes. Ballplayers typically were good. 

my friend got tipped $400 from Frank Thomas. He was a valet at the Ritz.  The Sox had a crew go to the Windsor Ballet.  My friend was the only valet working at that time of night so he drove over to get them. Frank handed it to him and said “this is from the guys”.  They pool their tips but my buddy was alone so if was all his. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The rumor is that he was a major factor in landing Pudge.  I always thought it was offering him twice as much as anyone else.