2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 2/4/2024 at 9:59 AM, Tiger337 said:

I though it was half your age plus 7.  Otherwise, a 20-year old could only date women 25 or older.  At what point does the formula change?

Under 18 they are protected by law, over 75 they are protected by nature. Anywhere in between is fair game.

15 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Under 18 they are protected by law, over 75 they are protected by nature. Anywhere in between is fair game.

My feeling is there is pretty much no way there can be a respectable romantic relationship between a 60-year old and a 20 something even if it's legal.  What age is OK?  There probably isn't an age.  The 2 x age +7 formula is a humorous way to decide, although it it makes less sense when you get older.  

Edited by Tiger337

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

My feeling is there is pretty much no way there can be a respectable romantic relationship between a 60-year old and a 20 something even if it's legal.  What age is OK?  There probably isn't an age.  The 2 x age +7 formula is a humorous way to decide, although it it makes less sense when you get older.  

Oh, I don't know, I could still hang with a 38-year-old ... 😁

A few years ago I made the decision that when I'm on the beach I am not "checking out" a woman if I can immediately tell she's under 40.  Once I hit my late 40's I could not distinguish between 14 and 35.   But what about if she looked like she had kids?  Doesn't matter.  She could be a mama with 3 young ones at the age of 19.  To quote daddy bush, not gonna do it. Plus many of my friends now have kids approaching 40 and well... that's a deal breaker for me too.  So if you are 40 and under, feel safe around me.  I'm not ogling you.

25 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Nick Maton DFA.  Devin Sweet, meet Toledo.  And something or other about Bobby Witt, Jr.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ 

Although his MLB numbers were disappointing (8.44 ERA, 5.21 SIERA), his performance between Double- and Triple-A was far more impressive. In 61 innings, he pitched to a 2.95 ERA with a 30.2% strikeout rate and a .189 batting average against.

Problem is he walks a lot of guys, too, so that will need to be addressed.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ingram000kol

I imagine Maton slips through unclaimed and can show Sweet around Toledo.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

A few years ago I made the decision that when I'm on the beach I am not "checking out" a woman if I can immediately tell she's under 40.  Once I hit my late 40's I could not distinguish between 14 and 35.   But what about if she looked like she had kids?  Doesn't matter.  She could be a mama with 3 young ones at the age of 19.  To quote daddy bush, not gonna do it. Plus many of my friends now have kids approaching 40 and well... that's a deal breaker for me too.  So if you are 40 and under, feel safe around me.  I'm not ogling you.

IMG_1326.thumb.jpeg.371738d3638d0b2ec9de1bd5a69be96f.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

My rule has always been: young enough to be my daughter and old enough to be my mom is off limits.which would put the acceptable range between 30-70 now.

5 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I thought when Carlos came to Detroit he was about the most fun ball player to watch we had had in a long time - seemed he could do anything on a baseball diamond. Sadly, then he got old really fast. 

His body broke down, but he was still pretty good for five years, at least offensively.  His OPS+ was 114 or better each year from 2004-2008.