2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I think I’m resigned to letting Rodriguez go.  I get his baseball card and he’d be a pitcher that could help the Tigers.  It’d be good to get that need taken care of before free agency starts and focus on other areas of need.

The off field issue in his first year is tough to comprehend as an outsider.  The leave itself was an unknown.  But what made it worse was the “lack of communication” that became the only known about the situation.  I think you grant that as an excused absence without knowing enough of the story.

That said, there was the trade deadline issue this last season.  We can go back and forth about the degree of blame to the player/agent and the front office.  Neither are completely innocent.  I think it adds suspicion to the previous season’s issue.  We don’t have to deal with these guys on a personal level, so what should it matter to us.  But is there an underlying issue that might manifest itself into something more on the roster or in the clubhouse?

If it’s as simple as adding another year at a reasonable rate, than I guess the Tigers make the deal.  I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem like it would be that simple given what we’ve seen.

50 minutes ago, casimir said:

But is there an underlying issue that might manifest itself into something more on the roster or in the clubhouse?

I have never gotten the impression that ERod has ever been an issue in the Tigers clubhouse... to the extent that belief is there, it's been the fanbase projecting its grievances (justified or otherwise) onto the clubhouse IMO

Edited by mtutiger

Players  stick together and are unique in knowing the struggles and challenges they face. They don’t talk about it because they know fans and media don’t want to hear millionaires talk about how hard things can be, especially on a personal level. They miss so much of their family time. Not just the fun time but dealing with problems and issues.  These guys understand it and if they see a fellow player go thru it they are more sympathetic than we would be.

“That could be me and I hope the guys have my back if it is”.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I have never gotten the impression that ERod has ever been an issue in the Tigers clubhouse... to the extent that belief is there, it's been the fanbase projecting its grievances (justified or otherwise) onto the clubhouse IMO

I have read nothing about him having problems with teammates.  It's treally hard for fans to know such things unless it becomes obvious which is rare.  A fan might be concerned that he'll leave the team again which may or not be a legitimate concern, but that doesn't mean the players had a problem with it.   

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

He was chosen to speak on behalf of the players at Miggy’s retirement ceremony.

Anyways, good job identifying a useful player before he hits free agency, taking on a contract another team was unwilling to play. He's a good fit with all the LHH outfielders on this club, even if not an every-day player. If they wait until free agency, he is likely demanding a multi-year deal. Now you get him for one year, 11.5M. A bit pricey for a 400-PA guy, but a good fit.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Anyways, good job identifying a useful player before he hits free agency, taking on a contract another team was unwilling to play. He's a good fit with all the LHH outfielders on this club, even if not an every-day player. If they wait until free agency, he is likely demanding a multi-year deal. Now you get him for one year, 11.5M. A bit pricey for a 400-PA guy, but a good fit.

I am not worried about the salary.  It's just one year.  It's encouraging that they are willing to take on a salary to win now.  They need a right-handed hitter and I love players that get on base.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Canha's defensive numbers don't look very good. Definitely Hinch's type of player. Experience at every corner and DH.

Doesn't look good for Malloy who was supposed to fill that right handed, backup corner type player.

He does take the role that fans thought Malloy would take.  They might want to give him another year in AAA or maybe he'll be included in a trade.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He does take the role that fans thought Malloy would take.  They might want to give him another year in AAA or maybe he'll be included in a trade.  

I Think hes in a trade ..... Harris and Company probably thought they could fix his defense and it didnt turn out to be the case

I want Harris go do well for the extraneous reason to shut up Tigers Twitter who think they know everything. Scott Harris doesn’t give two ****s about what someone on the internet thinks of his performance.  They act like he’s doing things for them or at their behest. Like they are mentors. They say things like “Ok kid, now show me something”.