2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I want Harris go do well for the extraneous reason to shut up Tigers Twitter who think they know everything. Scott Harris doesn’t give two ****s about what someone on the internet thinks of his performance.  They act like he’s doing things for them or at their behest. Like they are mentors. They say things like “Ok kid, now show me something”.  

cough Gorosh Cough

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

I want Harris go do well for the extraneous reason to shut up Tigers Twitter who think they know everything. Scott Harris doesn’t give two ****s about what someone on the internet thinks of his performance.  They act like he’s doing things for them or at their behest. Like they are mentors. They say things like “Ok kid, now show me something”.  

Also guessing most of the folks complaining hadn't heard of Blake Holub until today lol

• Like 1

I like Canha on the Tigers for a year. RHH outfielder to balance the LHH glut in the OF. Controls the plate, especially avoiding strikeouts. Very good contact skills, doesn't chase. Maybe a little too patient, though—takes a lot of called strikes. Has been very clutch this year. Good on-base although not much pop. Doesn't hit the ball hard and he hits a lot of flies, which tends to hurt him. It would be nice if he could hit more line drives. So-so range and a bit of a noodle for an arm, but he'll catch the ball if it finds him.

50 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yeah, heck with the fans. Make Chris a lot of money, he's the only one Harris has to answer to. Who cares if we have a team full of utility players and kids with limited experience? It's a weak division, we don't even have to be very good to win it.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, heck with the fans. Make Chris a lot of money, he's the only one Harris has to answer to. Who cares if we have a team full of utility players and kids with limited experience? It's a weak division, we don't even have to be very good to win it.

The Padres have a lot of non-utility star players and they are a one-county market, so they could probably use some more fans. 😉

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

who's Calico Joe and why should we care what they think?

As fans, we should only care about the product on the field. This guy doesn't have the tools a Baddoo has, speed mixed with power. And he's older. I doubt he'll even make the team. This move has meh spelled all over it. A nothing burger.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

As fans, we should only care about the product on the field. This guy doesn't have the tools a Baddoo has, speed mixed with power. And he's older. I doubt he'll even make the team. This move has meh spelled all over it. A nothing burger.

Mark Canha had a higher OPS+ than almost any 2023 Tiger  lol

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No. Just no. There are a few untouchables, Carp is one of them. I would trade Greene first.

Obviously, they wouldn't just give him away, but he's not untouchable.  It depends on what they get for him.  He might have just had his best season - didn't look too good down the stretch.  

In term of what they gave up, there's really nothing wrong with this deal.

I suspect the complaints, to the extent they exist, are more about reading into what the rest of the offseason might hold. And on that front, it is pretty irrational IMO. 

The offseason is three days old... if this is generating anger, it's gonna be a long offseason lol

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Obviously, they wouldn't just give him away, but he's not untouchable.  It depends on what they get for him.  He might have just had his best season - didn't look too good down the stretch.  

Young players often get worn down by a long season. It's more than they've played in their career. But moving him would put a huge hole in our lineup. I really don't want to see a 35 year old, weak hitting player with no power, speed or defense taking his spot. This move by the Tigers is quite puzzling. Yes, we need a RH bat but not in a player that really doesn't have any upside. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's also 35 years old, has little power, speed or defense. Not much upside. But, he's a RH bat. And I guess AJ loves to platoon players, he can hit against LH pitchers instead of Baddoo. If he can make the team.

He'll make the team and he'll play frequently.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In term of what they gave up, there's really nothing wrong with this deal.

I suspect the complaints, to the extent they exist, are more about reading into what the rest of the offseason might hold. And on that front, it is pretty irrational IMO. 

The offseason is three days old... if this is generating anger, it's gonna be a long offseason lol

The same way moving Candy last off-season created anger. What I kept hearing was we had months to find his replacement. And then we had Nick Maton to watch for the first part of the season. Don't blame Tiger fans for seeing the negatives in every move Harris makes. Kinda...gunshy?

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

The same way moving Candy last off-season created anger. What I kept hearing was we had months to find his replacement. And then we had Nick Maton to watch for the first part of the season. Don't blame Tiger fans for seeing the negatives in every move Harris makes. Kinda...gunshy?

I’d much rather have seen this money go toward a real upgrade somewhere. Looks like the same approach Harris used in his time in SF. Look for cast-offs and fringe players and hope you can find a decent one out of the bunch. 
Granted, Boras is Chapman’s agent, I’d still ask what it would take to get him. 
My expectations are low for the off season so maybe I’ll be surprised. Maybe.

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So let’s knock him for the bad system we say hes  created by not trading those bad players for good players. #fanlogic 

And yea… ultimately Chris Ilitch is the only one he answers to. He signs his check. 

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's also 35 years old, has little power, speed or defense. Not much upside. But, he's a RH bat. And I guess AJ loves to platoon players, he can hit against LH pitchers instead of Baddoo. If he can make the team.

Yes, he's Mark Canha, not Julio Rodriguez, I got it.

He profiles as a guy that they could use on a few different levels (ie. another RH OF bat in a very lefty heavy outfield, gets on base, plays serviceable defense, can back up 1B), and he was obtained for a fairly small price on the third day of the offseason.

Sorry, just not seeing how this generates anger other than people projecting their own ideas as to what, if anything, this means for the rest of the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No they don't. And his defense improved very quickly. Don't forget how young he is. The guy us going to be a very good player for the next 10 years, at least. 

He’s 26.   He will be playing in Japan in 10 years.  

• Like 1