2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Needs....outfield? Really? Look how many we already had...Baddoo, Greene, Meadows, Vierling and Carpenter. We even used Zach Short and Ibanez out there, though those guys aren't ideal. We needed a RH bat out there but at who's expense? Trade Baddoo? May as well, we have Greene for LF. If he can stay healthy for 150 games or so.

They may trade from their OF pieces and, if there's someone (save Greene anyway) who might help them in another area of their roster, that sounds great to me. 

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But come on man, you gotta agree Canha doesn't bring much to the table. 35 years old, limited power, batting average, speed or defense. Not much upside to him, other than getting hit by the pitch. Like I've said a few times, a nothing burger move. A giant....meh.

Yeah, it's not a sexy move. It's not like they traded Julio Rodriguez or anything. And sure, there is age risk.

But they paid a fairly small price for a veteran with a pretty good resume... that's something I felt they needed to do this offseason and they did that. 

We just don't agree, sorry.

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The risk is Canha is more is age than his resume. At 35 he might have ~3 good yrs left or he might come to ST and find its gone forever - you never know about hitters in their mid thirties.

Yes, that is the concern with a player that age.  The good news is that they would only be stuck with him for one year.  He didn't seem to show any signs of decline this year.  

12 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I think this move says more of how harris views those two guys then anything

Probably, but I also don't think people should read *too* much into it either...

Depth is a good thing... going into the offseason with the idea of just running back last years OF or banking purely on untested talents (ie. Malloy) was never going to happen. Particularly if one believes (as I do) that they want to build on last season or try to compete.

Whether Canha is the right guy or not, we will have to see what next year brings. But that's reality.

And I kinda expect they don't plan on doing the same thing on the infield (with Colt Keith) either, so they will find someone to bring in. 

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Depth is a good thing... going into the offseason with the idea of just running back last years OF or banking purely on untested talents (ie. Malloy) was never going to happen. Particularly if one believes (as I do) that they want to build on last season or try to compete.

Yes, these things always work themselves out.  I never worry about the Tigers having too many players.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, these things always work themselves out.  I never worry about the Tigers having too many players.  

For sure..

And Mark Canha's transaction history over the last two years should comfort some people as well. The Mets and Brewers, both seen as competitive teams at the time of acquisition, traded for his services. 

Clearly they didn't think he sucked.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:33 AM, Edman85 said:

Toledo DRC+ (100 average) from BP. DRC isn't perfect but uses batted ball data, opponent strength, weather, etc. to suss out some things.

• Andy Ibanez 122
  • Tyler Nevin 117
  • Justyn-Henry Malloy 117
  • Wenceel Perez 110
  • Colt Keith 108
  • Mike Papierski 106
  • Zack Short 102
  • Ryan Kreidler 101
  • Parker Meadows 99
  • Eddys Leonard 99
  • Andre Lipcius 98
  • Nick Maton 95
  • Donny Sands 90
  • Justice Bigbie 88
  • Dillon Dingler 72

While I'm at it, Detroit.

• Andy Ibanez 112
  • Spencer Torkelson 109
  • Akil Baddoo 102
  • Matt Vierling 100
  • Kerry Carpenter 100
  • Riley Greene 98
  • Jake Rogers 98
  • Miguel Cabrera 96
  • Zach McKinstry 91
  • Parker Meadows 90
  • Tyler Nevin 89
  • Nick Maton 88
  • Andre Lipcius 88
  • Javier Baez 84
  • Carson Kelly 84
  • Jonathan Schoop 80
  • Jake Marisnick 79
  • Zack Short 79
  • Ryan Kreidler 76
  • Eric Haase 66

Mark Canha 114

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's an old joke in this forum about players who are supposedly good character guys.  

oh I was on here when this was the old detroit tigers message board ... I just checked out for awhile when I got married and had rug rats... I tried to make a blow up doll comment when someone posted a picture of a tigers hat

Edited by Toddwert
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The risk is Canha is more is age than his resume. At 35 he might have ~3 good yrs left or he might come to ST and find its gone forever - you never know about hitters in their mid thirties.

The bat isn’t what worries me given his resume of controlling the plate.  I think the better than league average SO% and BB% with average hard hit rates will be helpful in the lineup.  It’s possible he loses it next season, but he still had it last season without a sharp drop from the season before.

I don’t like the defensive fit from what I’m seeing.  Looks like he’s below average range and arm on savant.  I’d like to see the Tigers put a little more emphasis on defensive aptitude in the outfield than we’ve seen in the past.

However, the price isn’t much to worry about.  The free agent market is poor.  They had to bring in a righty OF bat and they did that without sacrificing too much projected future value and maintaining longer term roster/salary sanity.

And if Harris/Hinch like the veteran makeup on an otherwise younger club, that’s an understandable asset to acquire.  This shouldn’t preclude them from making a deal for another better RHH OF if it comes along.

• Like 1

What is the way too early guesstimate for Greene’s recovery?  Is it assumed he will be back to OF duties by Opening Day?  I suppose it’s helpful that it’s his glove arm that’s impacted, but maybe it doesn’t matter with swinging a bat, I don’t know.

Is Canha insurance as an everyday LF early on in the season?  He doesn’t seem to have a RHP/LHP split.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

The bat isn’t what worries me given his resume of controlling the plate.  I think the better than league average SO% and BB% with average hard hit rates will be helpful in the lineup.  It’s possible he loses it next season, but he still had it last season without a sharp drop from the season before.

I don’t like the defensive fit from what I’m seeing.  Looks like he’s below average range and arm on savant.  I’d like to see the Tigers put a little more emphasis on defensive aptitude in the outfield than we’ve seen in the past.

However, the price isn’t much to worry about.  The free agent market is poor.  They had to bring in a righty OF bat and they did that without sacrificing too much projected future value and maintaining longer term roster/salary sanity.

And if Harris/Hinch like the veteran makeup on an otherwise younger club, that’s an understandable asset to acquire.  This shouldn’t preclude them from making a deal for another better RHH OF if it comes along.

Well said. And there were too many innings given to Zach Short, Ibanez and Nevin in the OF. No more of them out there, hopefully.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

What is the way too early guesstimate for Greene’s recovery?  Is it assumed he will be back to OF duties by Opening Day?  I suppose it’s helpful that it’s his glove arm that’s impacted, but maybe it doesn’t matter with swinging a bat, I don’t know.

Is Canha insurance as an everyday LF early on in the season?  He doesn’t seem to have a RHP/LHP split.

This says he'll be ready for opening day. He HAS to stay healthy next season.

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/injuries/detroit-tigers-young-outfielder-riley-greene-undergoes-tommy-john-surgery-but-is-expected-to-be-able-to-return-from-injury-for-2024

Edited by Sports_Freak

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

TJ for position players is not what it is for pitchers. Non-throwing arm helps too.

Michael Wacha was let loose by San Diego.  He had a pair of team options at $16M per followed by a $6M player option.  Not sure what his health has been lately, he’s only been around 23 starts and 130 innings the last two seasons.   Ut those innings have been effective.

It’ll be interesting to see what he gets on the market.  I wonder if Harris inquired about him.