2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

15 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

A quality RH OF bat with decent defense? Yes. Or put Vierling in the OF in a platoon split with Baddoo. Then we would need a good defense/bat at 3rd base. But this guy we got today? Meaningless. Treading water. Not inspiring. I hear he's good at getting beaned, that should be fun. 🤣

Who would you rather have seen us get instead?

11 hours ago, casimir said:

Michael Wacha was let loose by San Diego.  He had a pair of team options at $16M per followed by a $6M player option.  Not sure what his health has been lately, he’s only been around 23 starts and 130 innings the last two seasons.   Ut those innings have been effective.

It’ll be interesting to see what he gets on the market.  I wonder if Harris inquired about him.

I just look at Wacha’s Ref card and he has what is probably the most complicated set of options I have ever seen.

There was a $16MM team option and a $6.5MM player option for 2024, and since the team declined their option, Wacha can still exercise his option. If the team exercised their 2024 option, there would be another $16MM team option and $6MM player option for 2025, but since the team option was declined for 2024, if Wacha exercises his 2024 player option, he has the player option for 2025. But if the team then exercised its 2025 option after Wacha exercises his 2024 player option, then Wacha would lose his 2026 player option for $6 million. But if Wacha exercises his player options for both 2024 and 2025, then he would have a 2026 player option for $6 million at his disposal.

Got all that?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I just look at Wacha’s Ref card and he has what is probably the most complicated set of options I have ever seen.

There was a $16MM team option and a $6.5MM player option for 2024, and since the team declined their option, Wacha can still exercise his option. If the team exercised their 2024 option, there would be another $16MM team option and $6MM player option for 2025, but since the team option was declined for 2024, if Wacha exercises his 2024 player option, he has the player option for 2025. But if the team then exercised its 2025 option after Wacha exercises his 2024 player option, then Wacha would lose his 2026 player option for $6 million. But if Wacha exercises his player options for both 2024 and 2025, then he would have a 2026 player option for $6 million at his disposal.

Got all that?

Eduardo Rodriguez is jealous.  

12 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

dont take the bait!!!!!!

It’s a real question. If there’s someone else better we should get instead, then who is that? If there’s no one else, then should we have stayed with what we have on the team/in the system instead and keep Holub plugging away at A+ or AA? Or will Canha do for a year, instead? This was the set of options in front of us when it comes to getting a RHH in the outfield.

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Lugo is the Padres cast-off I am eying.

He’s interesting.  He didn’t seem to suffer much at all moving from the bullpen to the rotation last season.  His SO% has been dropping lately, but he was still a bit better than league average to go along with materially better than league average BB%.  I just wonder about arm usage.  Does he have the stamina to start again, will he have a bit of a hangover from increased usage last season?  Or does the reduced mileage from his previous seasons help him?

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Got all that?

Ah, OK! So he’s technically not a free agent yet, but will be soon because he’ll get more than what he could (short & long term) if he opts in for next season.

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ah, OK! So he’s technically not a free agent yet, but will be soon because he’ll get more than what he could (short & long term) if he opts in for next season.

Right,not technically, but no one expects him to exercise his own option, especially since he is coming out of it healthy.

48 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s a real question. If there’s someone else better we should get instead, then who is that? If there’s no one else, then should we have stayed with what we have on the team/in the system instead and keep Holub plugging away at A+ or AA? Or will Canha do for a year, instead? This was the set of options in front of us when it comes to getting a RHH in the outfield.

but as a fan you should want Ohtani, Nola, and all the best players ... its not our job to get them here for a reasonably contract plus we have no idea whos being shopped a round on the trade market... would you be mad if they get Ohtani for 500 Million for 10 years?

Edited by Toddwert

On 10/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Something tells me Mark Canha's gonna be here.  I don't know why.    Seem's like the cheap, average free agent they can live with,  high OBP fits in.

I am not right very often, but I was on this one.   but I thought he was a Free Agent.    I think this spells the end of Austin Meadows and Akil Baddoo wearing the Olde English D. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for position players, one spot open, two if they move on from Kelly: Rogers; Kelly; Tork; Keith; McKinstry; Ibanez; Baez; Veirling; Canha; Meadows; Green; Carp. Last spot will probably come from internal options, but would be happy to find another one year guy like Canha.

Toledo is looking solid: Dingler; Sands; Jung; Leonard; Kreidler; Lipcius; Baddoo; Perez; Malloy; Bigbie; with Maton, Short and Nevin out of options.

Woke up to some good news today. Mark Cahna is a very solid addition to this team for all the reasons the board has already pointed out. Best of all it shows Harris/Detroit is looking to actually win now. No way we trade an improving young pitcher for a 35 year old making 11 million if he was still rebuilding. 

Seems clear they like Verling at 3B (waiting for Jung or solidifying it for himself-developing at both levels), Keith at second base (platoon with Ibanez) , Mallory in AAA practicing his outfield play, concerns about Greene on the IL to start the year, and Carpenter on the trade block.

Worst case we flip him at the break for equal/better what we traded for him. But I doubt this happens because we ARE contending next year.

Now go get 2 STUD starters in free agency. Replicate what the Rangers did with Seagar and Semien but with Yamamoto and Nola ! Or at least Gray and Imanaga. Then we are in business. 

57 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

After thinking about it, I'm fine with the pickup. If it keeps Short, Nevin and Ibanez out of the OF, it will be good. It's just, the Tigers have way too many outfielders already. I really think we'll be moving on from Baddoo.

Nevin shouldn’t be on the 40, so I don’t see him as an issue.

I suspect at least one of Short/Ibanez doesn’t return.

If Baddoo leaves, it’ll be via trade.  To Edman’s point, he’s 25 and can be stashed at Toledo at worst.  He’s not a perfect player by any means, but he’s got some skills to work with.  Maybe he just needs a bit more time.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I don't see why you let Baddoo go. Maybe there's a trade partner, but he's still a 25 year old with a decent track record that you can stash in Toledo if you need. MLBTR has him around $1.7M through arbitration. Worth keeping around.

I don't care if they keep him as a minor leaguer if they have room, but he has not progressed as an MLB hitter since his rookie season and you really can't live with his OBP from a corner OF. If he goes to Toledo and makes some strides in his hitting then I like nothing more than for him to force himself back onto the roster.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I don’t care too much about which bench players will make the team, especially one week into the offseason.

I would, however, like to significantly upgrade at least one spot in the lineup, Ideally two, with proven major league bats. I think Keith will be our Opening Day 2B.  Other spots to upgrade are at 3B, C and OF.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't care if they keep him as a minor leaguer if they have room, but he has not progressed as an MLB hitter since his rookie season and you really can't live with his OBP from a corner OF. If he goes to Toledo and makes some strides in his hitting then I like nothing more than for him to force himself back onto the roster.

.310 this year isn't great, but it's only slightly below average (League average this year was .320). As a reserve/break-glass-in-case-of-emergency type you can do worse, and he's not priced in such a way that you don't keep him around and make sure he doesn't have more in the tank. Worth the offseason roster spot, worth the flier.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I actually think it is possible that he could benefit from a full season in AAA.  For various reasons, he has spend very little time in the upper levels of the minors.  He has had just 198 plate appearances between A ball and the majors.