2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

for those targeting Padres players (or recent FAs), looks like SD borrowed $50M from MLB to make payroll last year; their Bally network seems to be in worse shape than Detroit's; they have huge debt ratio problems; and now this. So it seems the rumored need to move salary is maybe real.

This.  Go get Tatis.

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Um no, he's one more bad piss test from a possible lifetime or one-year ban, isn't he?    Plus, is he a locker room cancer?  The Padres were MUCH better when he wasn't around.        

Amen! I would imagine he’s part of the reason Bob Melvin is in SF now.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Soto’s a rental.  Tatis is a buy-low guy that has some risk, but the reward can be great.

Obviously, a Soto trade has to come with him agreeing to a long term deal.   

9 years, 350 million?   

What would it take to get him.   3 top young players/prospects?  

Putting Soto and Canha at the top with Green and Tork.........are you kidding me?  

Look, I know it won't happen, but let me dream a bit.  

I don't want Tatis.  He's gonna dumb himself out of a career.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree it’s a no-brainer to stash Baddoo in Toledo.  We have a lot of question marks in the outfield—will Greene be able to play out there on Opening Day, is Meadows ready, and is Carpenter legit or Brennan Boesch V2.  Nice to have Akil as insurance.

If they even sign him. I just read an article that said he's going to be a Super 2 arbitration eligible player? How many outfielders can they carry? Greene, Meadows, Carpenter, Canha, Baddoo, and the other assorted players Hinch puts out there...Short, McKinstry, Ibanez, Nevin and Vierling. I don't really care for those utility players that the Tigers think can play anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If they even sign him. I just read an article that said he's going to be a Super 2 arbitration eligible player? How many outfielders can they carry? Greene, Meadows, Carpenter, Canha, Baddoo, and the other assorted players Hinch puts out there...Short, McKinstry, Ibanez, Nevin and Vierling. I don't really care for those utility players that the Tigers think can play anywhere.

Start Baddoo and Malloy in the minors.  Bring them up when someone gets hurt.  

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Nothing stops you from optioning an arb guy to the minors.

That's true but if they're paying him a few million $$, I don't see them keeping him in the system. Sign and trade him? Or don't even offer him a contract, making him a FA? Is he eligible as a Super 2? I don't even know what that means. I would rather trade him deep into the NL so we don't have to face him.

He's on track to make 1.7M per MLBTR... So about twice the minimum. I don't mind keeping somebody like that in AAA if you need him. Also, stuff happens. Greene has a setback, Parker Meadows doesn't hit, somebody else gets hurt, and he's there. It's better than having to go get Jake Marisnick again.

p.s. As for Super 2. Anybody with three years of more of service time are arbitration eligible. Effectively, everybody between 2 and 3 is ranked by service time (counted to the day) and the top 22% of them are eligible for arbitration. Arbitration just means the player can negotiate their salary. Yes, you can non-tender (not offer), but somebody like Baddoo is a worth a lot more than what he'll get in arb on the free agent market.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

That's true but if they're paying him a few million $$, I don't see them keeping him in the system. Sign and trade him? Or don't even offer him a contract, making him a FA? Is he eligible as a Super 2? I don't even know what that means. I would rather trade him deep into the NL so we don't have to face him.

Keeping Baddoo and carrying him at $2M even if he is at Toledo really isn’t as a big deal.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:03 AM, Toddwert said:

but as a fan you should want Ohtani, Nola, and all the best players ... its not our job to get them here for a reasonably contract plus we have no idea whos being shopped a round on the trade market... would you be mad if they get Ohtani for 500 Million for 10 years?

You are strongly implying that I would prefer Mark Canha on the team to Ohtani or Nola. I don't know where you are getting that idea, because that would inexplicable for me to prefer. I simply believe that a trade or free agent signing is not necessarily a failure simply because it's not for Ohtani or Nola.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You are strongly implying that I would prefer Mark Canha on the team to Ohtani or Nola. I don't know where you are getting that idea, because that would inexplicable for me to prefer. I simply believe that a trade or free agent signing is not necessarily a failure simply because it's not for Ohtani or Nola.

no my point is when you ask who we should get ... we should get the  best players as a fan its not my job to make it work thats all

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Don’t no one start popping the champagne for this news just yet … 😉😁

I’m waiting for the tweet that Cabrera is selling his waterfront mansion in the Pointes. Where he lives in Detroit is in the old money FU area. The titans of industry. 

AJ may just be trying to capitalize on a hot market. At his level they still don’t have that money for life thing yet. Maybe he just wanted something different. Perhaps an extension is coming and he’s getting a house a few blocks over. 

I don't see them paying Baddoo $1.7MM to do a whole year, or even as a break-glass guy, at Toledo. If they sign him, which they might or might not, I see them keeping him as a part-time platoon in left, as well as playing there when TORK! needs a day off at first and Canha moves there for the game.

They might also pass on the arb and let him test the market since, to others' point, we have a glut of LHH outfielders.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe you're getting your wish and Mark Canha is the best player we can get right now.

I think they saw him as a good deal independent of what else they might be able to do this winter.  Maybe they won't do much else at all, but I don't think the Canha trade is an indicator of that.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m waiting for the tweet that Cabrera is selling his waterfront mansion in the Pointes. Where he lives in Detroit is in the old money FU area. The titans of industry. 

AJ may just be trying to capitalize on a hot market. At his level they still don’t have that money for life thing yet. Maybe he just wanted something different. Perhaps an extension is coming and he’s getting a house a few blocks over. 

My wife is a realtor in Birmingham.  Disappointed she didn’t get the Hinch listing.  He probably did very well (there is not a lot of inventory right now), but where is he going to live?  I could rent out a room to him, I suppose.