2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Canha makes the team better, which is good;

I doubt Harris adds much more on the position player side, which is bad

I mean... Canha was one of the best 10 or so position players projected on the free agent market. It's thin out there.

And while I have urged caution on looking at Toledo's numbers, the lineup there was formidable down the stretch. It is not unreasonable to expect reinforcements internally.

• Like 1

Reminder...

5pm today, you have to activate players from the 60-Day IL. With the addition of Canha, that would put the Tigers at 43. Also, minor league free agents become free agents at that time, so if there are any you plan on protecting from the Rule 5, today is the day to do that (Keider Montero?). Finally, new as of a couple years ago and more restrictive this year, the offseason domestic reserve list (basically, stateside minor leaguers not on the 40 man) drops from 180 to 175 tonight. I have the Tigers at 159 now with 15 who need to come off the minor league 60-day IL, but 27 stateside free agents. So ending the day at 147 plus any outrights who join the mix.

All this is to say, expect some moves today:

• Will Montero be added?
  • Who will be among the 3+ dropped from the 40-man?
  • Will the Tigers use some of their minor league roster flexibility to acquire some prospects from teams in a crunch?
  • Maybe we see a waiver claim or a back-of-the roster trade today.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

All this is to say, expect some moves today:

• Will Montero be added?
  • Who will be among the 3+ dropped from the 40-man?
  • Will the Tigers use some of their minor league roster flexibility to acquire some prospects from teams in a crunch?
  • Maybe we see a waiver claim or a back-of-the roster trade today.

IMG_9925.gif

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

60 Million can get you a good player or two just saying

Why only 60? If it’s only the best players you want, why not 200 or 300 or 500? That’s what it’s gonna take to get the best players, isn’t it? Ilitch is a billionaire, he can afford it! Think BIG!

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Why only 60? If it’s only the best players you want, why not 200 or 300 or 500? That’s what it’s gonna take to get the best players, isn’t it? Ilitch is a billionaire, he can afford it! Think BIG!

I dont disagree but 60 million is whats coming off the books

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Kelly had a couple of decent years and then some injuries.  I am not really surprised they are keeping him and hoping for good health and a rebound.  

That was supposed to be last year wasn't it?

Well it's not like Dingler has been breaking down the door.....

Edited by gehringer_2