2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

How do we know the bench? That changes dozens of times over the course of the season anyways. So if a quality bench player is available for cheap later in the offseason, the Tigers should pass?

The 40 man really isn't set. There's still more rounds of cuts.

Also, take a dive into some advanced metrics and Ibanez as a starter may not seem so far-fetched.

Ibanez put together a competent season.  Does he have it in him to do that again?  I suppose he could be part of the filler/fodder at 2B until that position figures itself out.

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html

Tiger FA predictions: Sonny Gray, Jordan Hicks, Jack Flaherty, Taylor Mahle, Gio Urshela, Ahmed Rosario, Luis Severino.

Harris will not be signing Rosario obviously.

Urshela's name kind of surprised me there.  The article was favorable towards his defense, but mentioned that the public numbers don't necessarily jive with that.

Personally, I think I'd say pass and go with Vierling/McKinstry for now until one of Jung or Keith are ready, but I wouldn't kick rocks if the Tigers brought in Urshela or another 3B option on a reasonable enough deal.

Ibanez has a lifetime OPS+ of 96 which is passable for a starting second baseman if he can maintain it.  It's hard to evaluate his defense because he hasn't had a regular position, but he seems not to be a liability.  I hope they explore an infield upgrade though.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

some other guesses from MLBTR:

Nola, Montgomery, Matt Chapman all 6/150 (would be thrilled to get one of them at this price)

Before last season ended I was wishing that Chapman would be signed in Detroit for this year. He would be an out of sight-out of mind guy at third. Plug him in to the line up and go.

I’m confident Harris/Illitch won’t spend the money to get him. To be able to check third base off as done going into the year would be huge for this team. Too many what-ifs associated with the third base position at this point. 

Anyways, next up!

Next Tuesday, November 14. Rule 5 protection deadline. My guess is the two that will get protected there are Dingler and Flores. Room will need to be made there. Anybody DFA'ed next Tuesday can be...

Non-tendered on November 17. Yeah, this is normally players arb eligible, but not always. There are actually rules I just learned about for what you can pay minor league players who have been outrighted. Somebody like Freddy Pacheco, to name somebody, made the MLB minimum this past year and if outrighted, would have to make half that in the minors. Maybe the Tigers want to keep him around for less, have a deal in place with him and don't want to expose him to waivers. Non-tender and re-sign. They did this with a few guys last year.

Any injured players can't be outrighted any later than next Tuesday (until well into spring training). Anybody who has been added to the 40-man since August 15 can't be outrighted any later than next Tuesday (until well into spring training). Finally, anybody who would have been free agent eligible yesterday who is still on the 40-man has to agree to a major league contract for next year before being sent down. Yada yada yada, if you are wondering why somebody is outrighted next week instead of later in the offseason, in a lot of cases,  you can't outright them then.

Finally, these are all different than releasing somebody. If you outright release somebody, there are rules on when they can rejoin your major league roster.

Edited by Edman85

Minor league free agent list is out.

Guys who weren't free agents I had on my list: Eliezer Alfonzo, Jose Alvarez, Sean Guenther, Wilkel Hernandez, Marco Jimenez, Tim Naughton, Quincy Nieporte, Bryan Sammons, Yosber Sanchez, Luis Santana, Aneurys Zabala. Tigers must have re-signed them all.

Jack O'Loughlin was on the list and not on mine. He's a gray area so I wasn't sure. Signed and sat out while finishing up in Australia.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Minor league free agent list is out.

Guys who weren't free agents I had on my list: Eliezer Alfonzo, Jose Alvarez, Sean Guenther, Wilkel Hernandez, Marco Jimenez, Tim Naughton, Quincy Nieporte, Bryan Sammons, Yosber Sanchez, Luis Santana, Aneurys Zabala. Tigers must have re-signed them all.

Jack O'Loughlin was on the list and not on mine. He's a gray area so I wasn't sure. Signed and sat out while finishing up in Australia.

so is this guys they released ?

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

(This is just a practice post, it's not real)

WOW,  JUAN SOTO?     WE HAVE OUR NEW MIGGY?     I mean, good luck in San Diego Kerry, Colt and Casey, but WOW,  NOW IT'S REAL !!!!!!!!!

When the Beatles song came out I commented "New Stones?  New Beatles?  What are the Kinks doing?" and then the Kinks release a new version of Money Talks.      

Then I said to a co-worker  "Don't Noah Kahan and Hozier seem like the same guy to you?".   They have a single coming out together on Friday. 

So, let me try a gain.   OH MY GOD, WE GOT JUAN SOTO AND SIGNED HIM TO A 9 YEAR 324 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL? 

Maybe it only works with Triple A format music...........but I am giving this a try for all of you here.  

If Baddoo doesn't make the team it isn't going to be because of the money, his pay will be SFA as a piece of the overall payroll.  I like the idea of having him at Toledo, except that his pattern is to rake at Toledo but not necessarily sustain it at Detroit.  He might be the classic AAAA player, except for the plus-plus power and speed.  That's why he will always be intriguing, and why he will make some pretty useful money for the next 5 years or so.

13 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Tigers Notes: Rodriguez, Mize, Maton, Baddoo - MLB Trade Rumors

Summary: Best of luck ERod. Mize is fine. Maton had arthroscopic procedure on his left knee. Baddoo is still in the plan.

I had to laugh when the majority of MLB.com “experts” predicted in an article yesterday that Eduardo would re-sign with the Tigers. They are clearly paying zero attention to all the nonsense that surrounded him the past two years.

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I had to laugh when the majority of MLB.com “experts” predicted in an article yesterday that Eduardo would re-sign with the Tigers. They are clearly paying zero attention to all the nonsense that surrounded him the past two years.

but he loves living in Birmingham!

1 hour ago, buddha said:

but he loves living in Birmingham!

He also ghosted the team because of family matters, and botched the LA trade because of family matters, and ignored his catcher's signals in that one spring training game because of family matters.