2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

21 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I brought this up around the time the evidence came out about his accuser setting him up. He's a prick, but so are a lot of great athletes. I would definitely kick the tires on Bauer.

I generally let the team worry whether they want to deal with a prick.  If it's OK with them, then it's OK with me.  I just want talented players.  There are some exceptions like wife beaters or child molestors, but Bauer doesn't fall in that category as far as I know.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wasn't it assumed The Dodgers were making the post season ?

Yes, but I wouldn't assume that he refused the deal so he could miss post-season.  I don't get why we are saying that he didn't want to play in post-season as if it's a fact.  There might have been an immediate family situation which made it difficult to disrupt his family.  I mean there was a problem last year, so whatever it was might still be going on.  We'll never know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, but I wouldn't assume that he refused the deal so he could miss post-season.  I don't get why we are saying that he didn't want to play in post-season as if it's a fact.  There might have been an immediate family situation which made it difficult to disrupt his family.  I mean there was a problem last year, so whatever it was might still be going on.  We'll never know.  

Yes, we don't know anything about his personal life. When he went AWOL the previous year, obviously it had something to do with his marriage and his family life.  So this year, when he declined the opportunity to live in a hotel in LA for 2 months (which I would also do, it sounds like a horrible life), it was 100% correlated to him being AWOL the previous year.

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, we don't know anything about his personal life. When he went AWOL the previous year, obviously it had something to do with his marriage and his family life.  So this year, when he declined the opportunity to live in a hotel in LA for 2 months (which I would also do, it sounds like a horrible life), it was 100% correlated to him being AWOL the previous year.

I think what ultimately works against Rodriguez in the eyes of most fans regarding his absence was when the Tigers/Avila mentioned not being able to be in contact with Rodriguez.  Maybe I was misreading at the time, but it seemed like as the situation went along, it perception was that Rodriguez wasn't communicating with the Tigers (and maybe also wasn't communicating with/through his agent).  I think had the Tigers/Avila appeared to be more unconditionally supportive rather than appearing some combination of confused  and exasperated (maybe that's too strong of a word), the fan base would have also been a bit more supportive.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m in for Bauer. Wouldn’t be dull.

Want not dull?  The Phillies might be looking to move Castellanos.

According to a source, the Phillies are open to the idea of trading Nick Castellanos, whose streaky ways and disappointing performance in the NLCS could result in an offseason change.

Castellanos’ numbers for the entire 2023 season were solid, as he hit 29 home runs with 106 RBIs and a .788 OPS in 157 games. He posted strong numbers in April (.878 OPS), June (.954 OPS) and August (.860 OPS), but he slumped in May (.695 OPS) and July (.497 OPS), then had a .570 OPS from Aug. 13 through Sept. 8, prompting manager Rob Thomson to drop him to eighth in the lineup, batting him no higher than sixth for the remainder of the regular season.

Castellanos’ free-swinging ways were an issue; he ranked in the bottom 2% of the league in chase percentage, the bottom 5% in whiff percentage and the bottom 12% in walk rate. He finished the NLCS hitless in his final 23 at-bats, striking out 11 times while chasing more than 50% of pitches out of the zone.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think what ultimately works against Rodriguez in the eyes of most fans regarding his absence was when the Tigers/Avila mentioned not being able to be in contact with Rodriguez.  Maybe I was misreading at the time, but it seemed like as the situation went along, it perception was that Rodriguez wasn't communicating with the Tigers (and maybe also wasn't communicating with/through his agent).  I think had the Tigers/Avila appeared to be more unconditionally supportive rather than appearing some combination of confused  and exasperated (maybe that's too strong of a word), the fan base would have also been a bit more supportive.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know.

I agree about the non contacting thing. To me that was the biggest issue with him taking an absence. I have no problem with a guy handing his personal problems or family life as those things should come first but I just think it's wrong to keep your employer in the dark about it especially with a high profile public job like he has. 

As a fan I don't think I'm entitled to know the details of his personal business or illness(if that were the case) but considering the time fans invest and in some people's case the money I think it's fair to atleast for us to know a timetable when a guy could be back.

For instance If you know one of your top pitchers is gonna be out for the year maybe you won't invest as much said time or money on the team. 

For the record Im not saying for sure ERod deliberately kept them in the dark, perhaps the Tigers just flat out told him to take care of things and let them know when he was better and it was them that chose not to contact him but judging on face value it wasn't a good look for ERod.

Edited by RandyMarsh

22 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think we could have both, but I believe Juan Soto-level signings would come only after the rebuild is mostly complete and the roster and system have been fortified. I just don't see this ownership and regime as currently-constructed liquidating top prospects in trade for big stars, or shooting five offseasons' worth of free agent budget on one guy, hamstringing ourselves from making any other signings or extensions for the rest of the decade while we cross our fingers and hope the new big guy Michael-Jordans us to a couple of threepeats.

And this is why: 

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Possible except it seems that for an additional year and 20 million his "family issue" disappeared.

6 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Possible except it seems that for an additional year and 20 million his "family issue" disappeared.

We don't know that.  My assumption is that the demand came from his agent.  I don't know if Rodriguez agreed to it.  If the demand did come from him, I still don't have a problem with it.  If my employer traded me to a west coast company and I had the option to stay, I would stay due to family considerations.  They would have to give me and my family something very substantial in order for me to consider it.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Fans expect players to use their financial comfort and stability to do things in the fans and organizations best internet instead of the players best interest. 

Fans (or almost all fans anyway) also would do the exact same thing (ie. acting in their own interest) if they were in Eduardo's situation as well.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The Rays popped Tyler Alexander on waivers. He was going to be a free agent if he cleared.

Not totally surprised they grabbed him. The Rays pitching got hit really hard with injuries this past season. Drew Rasmussen, Shane McClanahan and Jeffrey Springs all had season-ending surgeries that will cost them some or all of the 2024 season. 
Buzz is they may trade Tyler Glasnow for prospects and salary reduction. Glasnow is due $25 million in 2024.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

We don't know that.  My assumption is that the demand came from his agent.  I don't know if Rodriguez agreed to it.  If the demand did come from him, I still don't have a problem with it.  If my employer traded me to a west coast company and I had the option to stay, I would stay due to family considerations.  They would have to give me and my family something very substantial in order for me to consider it.  

Obviously I am in the minority on the board with this issue because despite all the very valid  points made in opposition to mine I just see it as an opportunity to win a championship in a profession he has trained his life for in return for a couple months "inconvenience". 

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I generally let the team worry whether they want to deal with a prick.  If it's OK with them, then it's OK with me.  I just want talented players.  There are some exceptions like wife beaters or child molestors, but Bauer doesn't fall in that category as far as I know.  

He gets off by committing acts of violence against women, whether consensual or not, that is a deal breaker for me.

13 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He gets off by committing acts of violence against women, whether consensual or not, that is a deal breaker for me.

His behavior is sick and twisted and I wouldn't want him as a friend, but I feel like the consensual part makes it less bad than some other things I won't tolerate.