2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just now, wolverinefan said:

Is it? Certainly not what I'm into, but consensual is consensual. Bring him aboard..

Choking and beating people for fun is sick behavior for both people involved, consensual or not. 

That being said, I already said I wouldn't mind if the Tigers considered him.  

Yeah, he seems like sort of a sh*tty person so I probably would be happier if he wasn't on the team.  But how do I reconcile this...two of my top 5 favourite Tigers of all time, LeFlore and Gibson, were really sh*tty people, unbeknownst to me at the time.

So I guess I can only rationalize it this way...if I know that you are a sh*tty person before you get here, no I don't want you.

• Thanks 1

The problem with Soto is he's a FA after 2024...

Boras is his agent...

He's already turned down (8 or 9 years at $40 mill/ year...? I forget what the actual offers were)...

Which means either: Soto is a FA after 2024 and the Tigers would lose him for almost nothing after sending major trade pieces over to the Padres;

Or: We're signing Soto to a 10-year $500 Mill contract (WAG) or something like that after treading half the team to get him.

I'm either (would rather):

Trading for Tatis... Or waiting until after the 2024 season when Soto costs "ONLY" money, instead of a major contract AND major team player assets...

Anyone who wants Soto... my recommendation is to wait until after the 2024 season.

That might be a good time to reassess where our current players (Mize/ Manning/ Skubal/ Olson/ Turnbull/ Greene/ Tork! / Malloy/ Keith/ Jung/ Carpenter/ Baez/ etc... have gotten us, or NOT gotten us; and adjust from there).

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: And I still want to sign Yamamoto & Hader which would really solidify our rotation & BP (or at least in theory) leaving only which bats to keep/ move on from and which bats to bet on/ add to the team.

Perfect for offseason 2024, IMO.

I am on board with Yamamoto. My guess is we will get some unknown (relatively speaking) reclamation project or maybe Lorenzen.

14 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I am on board with Yamamoto. My guess is we will get some unknown (relatively speaking) reclamation project or maybe Lorenzen.

A lot of money came off the payroll and I believe they will try to spend for an expensive starting pitcher.  I don't expect them to spend big on anything else, although I think there will be minor signing and trades.  

44 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: And I still want to sign Yamamoto & Hader which would really solidify our rotation & BP (or at least in theory) leaving only which bats to keep/ move on from and which bats to bet on/ add to the team.

Perfect for offseason 2024, IMO.

If somebody went through this thread and took a drink every time you shared your enthusiasm for a Yamamoto and Hader signing, they would have been drunk 100 posts ago.  I appreciate your diligence, but I don’t think they are the type of pitchers that Harris would be willing to outbid every one else for.  I think he likes to shop in the clearance aisle for an affordable project with upside. Basically, a Spencer Turnbull, if we didn’t already have him.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

If somebody went through this thread and took a drink every time you shared your enthusiasm for a Yamamoto and Hader signing, they would have been drunk 100 posts ago...

And I'm going to keep yammering for them until the fat lady sings.

Recommendation: Don't drink to my posts or you'll kick the bucket from alcohol poisoning.

PS: Got "Bessie" on the TV right now... (Bessie Smith biopic with Queen Latifah...)

So, the fat lady IS singing... but that don't count. Sorry.

35 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Exactly. Why NOT us.

Wasn't there already rumors floating that the Tigers were interested in Yamamoto?

They should be. 25 years old. Upper echelon starter. Make the investment.

because he can go where ever he wants why would he come to Detroit instead of a bigger market with a large japanese population... its not about the Tigers wanting him its about him wanting the Tigers back

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

A lot of money came off the payroll and I believe they will try to spend for an expensive starting pitcher.  I don't expect them to spend big on anything else, although I think there will be minor signing and trades.  

Harris has already stated that they are not ready to add substantial payroll to the team, I think he's going for value, which he's famous for in free agency. 1 or 2 year deal, max.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Tiger337 said:

We don't know that.  My assumption is that the demand came from his agent.  I don't know if Rodriguez agreed to it.  

The Law of Absolutes may suggest that anything can happen and maybe the agent acted independently of and even against the wishes of the client, but Occam’s Razor says that the agent acted with the client’s approval.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I am going to guess Jordan Montgomery/ Sonny Gray level.  

That’s a pretty good level. I could also see them trading for a good starting pitcher, maybe someone like Corbin Burnes. Brewers are having a fire sale and he’s a reliable top of the rotation piece with a year left until free agency. We might get him for relatively cheap and maybe sign him to a decent extension roughly what everyone wanted to give Eduardo. The potential downside is that he’s already losing ticks, but then, so has Eduardo, and Burnes is younger.