2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

13 hours ago, microline133 said:

Correct decision. I have a really hard time seeing a team carry him on a MLB roster all year.

Remember when Campos was signed at age 16 as a defector out of Cuba after supposedly winning some adult tournament MVP at age 12, getting the most money the Tigers ever threw at a Latin teenager, something like $3 million, how nobody knew anything about him and how secretive it all was, but he was going to be can’t-miss super great, yet he wasn’t even on any of MiLB’s top prospect lists? How fun was that?

21 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Anybody listen to Stavenhagen's pod yesterday? He was on fire, criticizing Tork's player of the year and Morosi being a parrot for Eduardo.

I think Stavenhagen said something along the lines of, of the 25 guys who vote for Tiger of th year, maybe five of them cover the team every day? I can’t remember who Stavenhagen said he voted for, but he seems weirdly sore about the whole thing.

I’m not real invested in Tiger of the Year, but it’s not really anything like MVP, is it? I always thought of it as steady player who might or might not be the best player on the team, but who writers think embodies being the most important cog on the team, or perhaps in the clubhouse, for either now or the future. I don’t think of it as being a ratification of the WAR champ. In that way, as a linchpin of the future who posted up 159 times, day in and day out, this year, and who actually improved substantially the second half, Tork is as good a choice as anyone else. I think of TOY as a kind of squishy award, anyway.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Send them Colt Keith or Jace Jung?

I don't think so.  Take on Carpenter's $5.5M player option for 2024 (which they can dump) along with Kim ($8M).  Where does that get it?  Does this get it to along the "prospect" lines of what they acquired Canha for?  I would think Kim at $8M + $5.5M is more valuable than Canha at $11.5M, but not valuable enough to where it would cost either of Keith or Jung.  I may be wrong about that, I don't know.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Stavenhagen said something along the lines of, of the 25 guys who vote for Tiger of th year, maybe five of them cover the team every day? I can’t remember who Stavenhagen said he voted for, but he seems weirdly sore about the whole thing.

I’m not real invested in Tiger of the Year, but it’s not really anything like MVP, is it? I always thought of it as steady player who might or might not be the best player on the team, but who writers think embodies being the most important cog on the team, or perhaps in the clubhouse, for either now or the future. I don’t think of it as being a ratification of the WAR champ. In that way, as a linchpin of the future who posted up 159 times, day in and day out, this year, and who actually improved substantially the second half, Tork is as good a choice as anyone else. I think of TOY as a kind of squishy award, anyway.

Stavenhagen mentioned that he voted for Rodriguez based on performance.  He also mentioned there really aren't any guidelines to base your vote upon.  It doesn't specify strictly on field (best pure player, or output vs expectation, etc) and there's nothing to suggest how off field variables should be taken into consideration.

Edit to add:  Stavenhagen mentioned he voted Rodriguez 1st and Carpenter 2nd, if I remember it correctly.

Edited by casimir

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Funny because I haven't thought of that awarrd in decades but remember it being kind of a big deal as a kid.  We would join the pepsi/tiger fan club, all of us in the neighborhood, and go to Tiger Stadium, sometimes by ourselves, (We were ages 8-13).  The previous Tiger of the Year would be on one of the first programs.  We'd buy one for all of us to share.  We would argue over who won.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I don't think so.  Take on Carpenter's $5.5M player option for 2024 (which they can dump) along with Kim ($8M).  Where does that get it?  Does this get it to along the "prospect" lines of what they acquired Canha for?  I would think Kim at $8M + $5.5M is more valuable than Canha at $11.5M, but not valuable enough to where it would cost either of Keith or Jung.  I may be wrong about that, I don't know.

Harris has said he will not acquire players who block current prospects, and the two top position player prospects ready for prime time at Keith and Jung, who presumably would split second base and third base between them. So if we get Kim, a player who projects as an All-Star at second base for a few more years, I would guess that means we are either putting one of Keith/Jung on the shelf for good, or sending at least one of them away in trade. And I would think Padres would want a guy back who can play second base in the near future, since they have none of those in their system. I know TR says Cronenworth, but he’s older and worse than Kim, who has only one more year at $8MM on their books right now, anyway. If their concern if that Kim won’t man second base for them beyond 2024 and they need more certainty at the position, I would be surprised if they don’t get a future second baseman back in trade, if they even send Kim away anyway.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Stavenhagen mentioned that he voted for Rodriguez based on performance.  He also mentioned there really aren't any guidelines to base your vote upon.  It doesn't specify strictly on field (best pure player, or output vs expectation, etc) and there's nothing to suggest how off field variables should be taken into consideration.

Edit to add:  Stavenhagen mentioned he voted Rodriguez 1st and Carpenter 2nd, if I remember it correctly.

If Tiger of the Year is a subjective vote, then I definitely can see Eduardo not winning, despite his superior half-season performance, since his antics across the last two years don’t really scream “Tiger of the Year!” to voters who are put off by him. This is my take only on the voters’ possible mindset.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Harris has said he will not acquire players who block current prospects, and the two top position player prospects ready for prime time at Keith and Jung, who presumably would split second base and third base between them. So if we get Kim, a player who projects as an All-Star at second base for a few more years, I would guess that means we are either putting one of Keith/Jung on the shelf for good, or sending at least one of them away in trade. And I would think Padres would want a guy back who can play second base in the near future, since they have none of those in their system. I know TR says Cronenworth, but he’s older and worse than Kim, who has only one more year at $8MM on their books right now, anyway. If their concern if that Kim won’t man second base for them beyond 2024 and they need more certainty at the position, I would be surprised if they don’t get a future second baseman back in trade, if they even send Kim away anyway.

Oh, I don't have an aversion to trading Keith or Jung away.  I understand not wanting to block prospects.  But if they could bring in Kim and go with 2 of Kim/Jung/Keith at 2B & 3B while the other remains in the minors or is traded away for a quality return, I think that's something to consider.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No, it's not a big deal, just an opportunity for me to complain about how media evaluates players.  

not sure why SD trades the one player they have who is vastly over-performing his salary, but getting Kim would be awesome, provided they can sign him to an extension. different player, but his production is what you hope Keith or Jung could do. also, they still have no one anywhere in the system to replace Baez should he continue on his current trajectory. Kim would be that guy. also, would be nice to get into the market for top Korean and later Japanese players

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

No, it's not a big deal, just an opportunity for me to complain about how media evaluates players.  

I'd like to know who the voters are because.... that seems like a lot of people and I bet we have some here who have watched more Tigers baseball this year than those voters.

47 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

not sure why SD trades the one player they have who is vastly over-performing his salary, but getting Kim would be awesome, provided they can sign him to an extension. different player, but his production is what you hope Keith or Jung could do. also, they still have no one anywhere in the system to replace Baez should he continue on his current trajectory. Kim would be that guy. also, would be nice to get into the market for top Korean and later Japanese players

And just to complicate matters for SD, owner Peter Seidler just passed away yesterday.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Probably most accessible player. Tork had quotes after almost every game. Beat writers need content. 

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Trading Kim isn't because he won't stay at the position. If they move him its cause they have to cut payroll cause theri debt is getting too large.