2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Did you send out the Rule V invitations yet or do we just show up?

I didn't, i just feel like everybody who truly understands Rule V will arrive on time and now that there are no more Covid restrictions around border crossings if you tell the Canadian customs guys that you are going to a Rule V party they will just wave you through.

I already have the Rule V bunting over the front porch.   My driveway only holds one extra car and I've always saved it for tiger337, so for everybody else just park at the church up around the corner.  They don't like it but what can they do?  They can't do nothing.

• Like 3

Yamamoto: 9 years,  300 million.  He's 25 years old. 

Reason why Ohtani only signed for 2.3 million is that he was too young to sign as a free agent,  and had to go through the international signing process.  Yamamoto is of age, but is a unicorn because he's so young and polished and talented. 

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I didn't, i just feel like everybody who truly understands Rule V will arrive on time and now that there are no more Covid restrictions around border crossings if you tell the Canadian customs guys that you are going to a Rule V party they will just wave you through.

I already have the Rule V bunting over the front porch.   My driveway only holds one extra car and I've always saved it for tiger337, so for everybody else just park at the church up around the corner.  They don't like it but what can they do?  They can't do nothing.

They can pray no one parks in their parking lot.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-television-elephant-telephant-elevision-in-the-room/

Interesting article about Bally. The Tigers could face some revenue uncertainty in 2025 and that could affect their spending now.

I guess paying a utility infielder $9 million a season isn't sustainable? People have been saying for years that these huge payrolls will ruin the sport. Finally coming true. Who wants to pay $500 a season for MLB games? We may soon need to, somebody has to support there players making $500 grand a month (or more). To play a game...

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Haven't heard much about E-Rod or where he's going, but if he wound up signing with the Dodgers, I think he'd be one of my most hated Tiger players of all time.  

I can see him going to Miami. That would be an obviously perfect fit for him (assuming he's not some kind of wanted man there), and I think he's a good fit for them, despite Avisail Garcia's dead contract, especially if the Fish think they can close the gap between them and the wild card next year.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Zips currently has the Tigers pegged at around 31 WAR, so what's that like mid to upper 70s wins? Right about at the mark where another improvement and some good fortune could make you a playoff contender. 

We already have upper 70s wins in two of our past three seasons. I think something comfortably into the 80s is the minimum we should be asking for by now.

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I guess paying a utility infielder $9 million a season isn't sustainable? People have been saying for years that these huge payrolls will ruin the sport. Finally coming true. Who wants to pay $500 a season for MLB games? We may soon need to, somebody has to support there players making $500 grand a month (or more). To play a game...

They won't charge $500 for MLB.tv until at least 2050, or something like that.

EDIT: @Sports_Freak, do you think they're going to do that soon?

Edited by chasfh
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The salaries are following the fees, not the fees following the salaries.  People will pay what they are willing to pay regardless if players make $9 million or $90,000 a year.   Ticket prices aren't because of payroll.  It's what they determine the public wants to pay to watch baseball at this level.  The owners just have to share more of it now.

Huge payrolls were "ruining" the sport since 1901.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

The salaries are following the fees, not the fees following the salaries.  People will pay what they are willing to pay regardless if players make $9 million or $90,000 a year.   Ticket prices aren't because of payroll.  It's what they determine the public wants to pay to watch baseball at this level.  The owners just have to share more of it now.

Huge payrolls were "ruining" the sport since 1901.

The media asked Babe Ruth one season if he realized he was making more than The President of The United States. His response was he had a better year....😄😄

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

NFL charges something like $250 a season and that's only 17 games. If teams have a $200 million payroll, somebody has to pay it. Billionaire owners won't allow a team to cost them money.

If Baseball tried charging $500 for MLB.tv next year, probably more than 95% of their customers would bail on it. I know I would, and I'm a 98th-percentile baseball freak. They have nothing like a captive market.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

NFL charges something like $250 a season and that's only 17 games. If teams have a $200 million payroll, somebody has to pay it. Billionaire owners won't allow a team to cost them money.

That's the key.  They pay more because it's less number of games.  If there were 170 games they wouldn't do that because the individual games don't mean as much.  NFL fans are a different breed of sport fan.  In this situation less is more and NFL games are an event.  A lot of it, maybe most, is because of gambling and fantasy play. 

I routinely go to a friends house to watch the game on a projector in his garage with others.  In baseball that never happens, not even in a playoff game.

• Like 2