2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

NFL charges something like $250 a season and that's only 17 games. If teams have a $200 million payroll, somebody has to pay it. Billionaire owners won't allow a team to cost them money.

A few things to keep in mind. The NFL charges a ton more because the set up is a bit different in terms of league structure and money and TV contract. 

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Saw some BS online with an "insider" saying that the Tigers are on a very short list for Blake Snell

I don't believe that, but what would it take to land him?    

I saw "potential destination" which could mean anything.  It sounds like BS.  It's hard to imagine the Tigers signing him.

I surely wouldn't mind if they got him, but he is really frustrating to watch despite the good results some years.  I watched him a lot the last couple of years because he was on my fantasy team and he seems to go on a 3-ball count to every batter.  I could see him coming to the Tigers and them trying to get him to control the strike zone.  It may or may not work, but he doesn't seem like the type with whom they would have success.  

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I saw "potential destination" which could mean anything.  It sounds like BS.  It's hard to imagine the Tigers signing him.

I surely wouldn't mind if they got him, but he is really frustrating to watch despite the good results some years.  I watched him a lot the last couple of years because he was on my fantasy team and he seems to go on a 3-ball count to every batter.  I could see him coming to the Tigers and them trying to get him to control the strike zone.  It may or may not work, but he doesn't seem like the type with whom they would have success.  

The opposite of what Harris preaches which might suggest Chris' influence if they did sign him but most likely just speculation by writers trying to find something to write about.

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

He doesn't seem like the ideal Tigers recruit and that proposed contract, OMG, that's way too close to $30 million AAV for me.  I want to go at least 5 more years without one of those.

I'm not that worried about $30M AAV per se.  But specific to bringing in a top tier SP, which Snell is considered to be, the walk rate is too high for my liking.  Its been that for a while, and he's gotten away with it due to a lower H/9.  Now, OK, it is better to allow a walk than an extra base hit, and that's where he's been able to find success.  However, what happens when the velocity ticks down a bit, the movement isn't quite what it was, and the contact becomes more frequent, more solid, more pinpointed onto the barrel of the bat?  Ain't gonna be pretty at $30M per.

For $30M per, I would want a history of success with a reasonable projection of sustainability.  I'm a complete amateur looking at numerals hacktastically.  But I kind of question Snell going forward.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1776 said:

A new owner and GM.

It would be exciting (at first), but you'd be paying for past accomplishments.   Not that he won't have another great year or two, but you'd probably pay a lot of money for a lot of years and the second half of that contract would hurt the team.   

Still need a pitcher that can start (or come out of the pen), but we still need to see if Skubal, Manning and Mize are for real at all.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Pat Caputo suggested that the Tigers could trade Baddoo and Manning because we have depth at their positions.  He left out that neither have much trade value.  

When I hear the name 'Pat Caputo', the immediate word association that comes to mind is "shell of his former self.'

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Pat Caputo suggested that the Tigers could trade Baddoo and Manning because we have depth at their positions.  He left out that neither have much trade value.  

Their trade value might be debatable.  But Reese Olson was acquired for Daniel Norris.  So it’s not necessarily what gets sent out as much as what gets brought in return and how it is developed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think in Manning’s case, we’d be selling low.

At face value, yes.

But I made a point earlier in the off-season, and I will repeat it here:

I am under the belief that the marketplace, the "Demand" for starting pitchers, this offseason, might distort the value of someone like Mize or Manning. If the stress of building a rotation pushes another team to take chances, it could, "demand-wise", push the trade value higher than what we normally think it would be. They are still young, controllable, have "live" arms, and some organization out there believes they can "maximize" value out of one of these guys. If they offer an overpay (in terms of minor league prospects) due to the Demand Marketplace getting out-of-whack, then maybe there is an opportunity to take advantage.

If I am wrong on the level of demand... then there won't be any out-of-whack offers, and then yes, I agree it'd be selling low on Manning (and even Mize).

But we'll soon see how crazy, or not, the trading season gets, with the Winter Meetings starting up this week.

I agree that Manning could have decent trade value in this market for teams that need pitching but either don't spend ( Orioles ) or tight budget (Padres). We need a lefty starter (Imanga) and if obtained one we could trade Manning or even Madden/Flores if the return is right. 

I could see Rodgers traded this week as well since catchers are hard to get. Of course we need him also but for the right return it could be considered. They did retain Kelly and might value him higher than we think.

This is the first winter meetings in ages that we have money to spend and assets of value to trade. It could be a huge few days in shaping our team for 2024. Go BIG Scot.

28 minutes ago, casimir said:

Maybe, maybe not.  He’s still mostly potential right now.  How will that potential actually play out?

yeah I think the Possiblity he might be good is still out, I think other teams think they can always "fix" a player thats the value he has right now

6 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

yeah I think the Possiblity he might be good is still out, I think other teams think they can always "fix" a player thats the value he has right now

Sure.  Teams place different values on the same player.  Maybe some team thinks more highly of him than the Tigers.   And maybe that team has a position player and/or prospect that the Tigers value more than that team.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that Manning won’t eventually develop into anything.  Heck, if it’s an even swap that brings in a bat that fills a need and the Tigers can backfill a rotation spot via free agency, that’s a win for the Tigers.

Hope you’re all correct about Manning, but I personally don’t see it.  He doesn’t really have an out pitch, though could still develop I suppose. I think he’s a 4th or 5th starter, at best.  His low salary helps his trade value. I see him being added to a deal vs being the central piece, unless it’s for a Triple A catcher or someone like that.