2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

37 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hope you’re all correct about Manning, but I personally don’t see it.  He doesn’t really have an out pitch, though could still develop I suppose. I think he’s a 4th or 5th starter, at best.  His low salary helps his trade value. I see him being added to a deal vs being the central piece, unless it’s for a Triple A catcher or someone like that.

I'll be honest I dont think hes going anyhere because the Tigers probaby havent given up on him

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

yeah If only the Padres would go along with that

It’s not far-fetched.  Tatis has a PED suspension and rumors of attitude issues.  Also has a massive contract.  And the Padres need to clear payroll. Also had a bit of a pedestrian offensive season last year (by his standards).

Whoever trades for him would be assuming some risk.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s not far-fetched.  Tatis has a PED suspension and rumors of attitude issues.  Also has a massive contract.  And the Padres need to clear payroll. Also had a bit of a pedestrian offensive season last year (by his standards).

Whoever trades for him would be assuming some risk.  

I’d have a cup of coffee with Bob Melvin before I’d give Tatis the time of day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Hope you’re all correct about Manning, but I personally don’t see it.  He doesn’t really have an out pitch, though could still develop I suppose. I think he’s a 4th or 5th starter, at best.  His low salary helps his trade value. I see him being added to a deal vs being the central piece, unless it’s for a Triple A catcher or someone like that.

Manning is basically a 4 seam fastball pitcher. He doesn't have the velo a Verlander had but it's that kind of pitcher profile. So just for perspective I'd note that JV threw over 500 MLB innings before he reached a one K/IP K rate. Manning is at ~225. He has enough stuff if stays healthy and learns how to use it -  never any guarantees with pitchers but I would understand if the Tiger are willing to give him more time to develop before moving him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Do managers wear a team hat in the HOF?

They do sparky went in as a red

I would have to think he goes in as a tiger if anyone. More years in Pittsburgh. But two ws in Detroit and 8 years, started his professional career as a tiger and still works for detroit.

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

They do sparky went in as a red

I would have to think he goes in as a tiger if anyone. More years in Pittsburgh. But two ws in Detroit and 8 years, started his professional career as a tiger and still works for detroit.

But he won the WS with the Marlins.  

1 minute ago, MIguy said:

LOL so sure, a WS ring mean nothing.  Got it....so thanks for that little nugget of stupidity. 

Yep that's why Miguel will go in as a Marlin.

And why Molitor went in as a Jay and Pudge went in as a Marlin.

Only thing that matters is who you won a WS with, no matter how short the time and what else happened in your career.

You're just being silly and argumentive for no reason.

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Yep that's why Miguel will go in as a Marlin.

And why Molitor went in as a Jay and Pudge went in as a Marlin.

Only thing that matters is who you won a WS with, no matter how short the time and what else happened in your career.

You're just being silly and argumentive for no reason.

image.thumb.png.7ac615375e4783534c838b690402207e.png

• Like 1

Leyland spent years in the Tigers organization in several positions. His spent years as a coach in the Tigers organization as a minor league coach. Don’t know what hat he’ll wear going in but he’s a Detroit Tiger as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 1

This makes me happier than I expected it would.  I suspect he will have a Tigers hat. He’s talked many times about coming full circle from the minors and majors with the org.  In his MLB network he had a tigers hat on the shelf behind him. Yea he works for the org I know.  I just suspect that’s what it will be. He had plenty of success with the Tigers to justify it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

This makes me happier than I expected it would.  I suspect he will have a Tigers hat. He’s talked many times about coming full circle from the minors and majors with the org.  In his MLB network he had a tigers hat on the shelf behind him. Yea he works for the org I know.  I just suspect that’s what it will be. He had plenty of success with the Tigers to justify it. 

And we never fired him nor made him manage “scabs.”