2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

9 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

and right on cue, the LAD make a prospect trade with the Yankees, getting a well regarded minor league SS/3B for a well regarded minor league 2B and a generic LHR, and clearing 2 40 man rosters spots. they really do get talent into their system in any way you can think of.

It would be nice to have the luxury of dealing from strength. One day …

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

The Canadian version...  From the sitcom Corner Gas...Karen or Lacey.  I was always a Karen (Tara Spencer Nairn) over Lacey (Gabrielle MIller).  I was always amused by the Bailey vs Jennifer argument...like Jan Smithers (Bailey) was some simple plain girl...she was a fricking model from California

Karen.

Yeah, I have a type.

• Like 1

Jason Benetti in his interview with the Awful Announcing podcast mentioned a number of factors as to why he went over to the Tigers, including his view that the front office is "willing to spend on free agents".

Another data point to my view that people outside of Detroit view this organization much differently than the fanbase does.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

given the local media landscape we have one guy who wants to be a shock jock podcaster so that has to be a draw.... then there's twitter.

I definitely get that a lot of it is the toll that seven years of losing has taken on this organization, so it's hard to be too critical on fans. But particularly since Scott Harris came onboard, there's been a glaring disconnect between what outside observers see in this franchise and what it's fanbase does. 

Semi-related, but the hang up on payroll and spending (particularly with Miggy coming off the books) continues to be amusing. My personal view is that I want them to add free agents who can help the team, but that the money that it takes to procure them isn't really a factor at all in whether it's a smart move or not. Put another way, I don't really care whether the quantitative sum adds up to what the team lost in payroll when Miggy retired or when ERod opted out, just want the moves to make sense in the context of what they are trying to accomplish (something along the lines of taking a baseline 80 win team and making moves to help them win their division this year)

Edited by mtutiger

agree.... as a fan I have payroll fatigue.  I'm tired of seeing guys out there just because we are paying them and they are under a big contract.  I don't want to see any Justin Uptons or Jordan Zimmermans for awhile.  

Fans just think players are items on a shelf in a store and you pick up what you want and that's all there is to it.  Or you can trade a couple of bad players for a good player because 3+3+3 = 9.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Jason Benetti in his interview with the Awful Announcing podcast mentioned a number of factors as to why he went over to the Tigers, including his view that the front office is "willing to spend on free agents".

Another data point to my view that people outside of Detroit view this organization much differently than the fanbase does.

"Having an owner who won't spend" appeared again in a Motor City Bengals article again last week.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

agree.... as a fan I have payroll fatigue.  I'm tired of seeing guys out there just because we are paying them and they are under a big contract.  I don't want to see any Justin Uptons or Jordan Zimmermans for awhile.  

Although they have the new model in Javier Baez (hopefully he turns it around)

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

the only teams that do not have some level of free agent remorse, are the teams that do not spend on free agents.

it is just a cost of shopping in the free agent aisle; sooner or later, some guy will underperform or get injured or do something stupid off the field

Credit to you for acknowledging that there actually is cost or risk involved. Many appear unable to acknowledge that.

Edited by mtutiger

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Upton wasn't really like Zimmermann.  His first year was bad until his hot finish.  He had a .904 OPS in his scond year with the Tigers before he got traded.  

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Upton wasn't really like Zimmermann.  His first year was bad until his hot finish.  He had a .904 OPS in his scond year with the Tigers before he got traded.  

You are right. I looked him up after posting this. But just in general I am not sure I want any long term deals for awhile for anyone.  This org if they are doing well what they claim then those players should be coming up in the system. Get to the 86-90 win range then we can talk a breakout signing.  Get a solid system then then you are less beholden to them on the back end when they fade. Cut them loose.  

I want them to lock up Tork, Greene, Keith, Jung... whoever early before they hit arb. Buy out a couple years of FA. I doubt the Tigers will be anywhere near the CBT going forward, but getting those guys under contract does reduce their AAV later, so if we do start to butt up against the tax if things start going well, their AAV is averaged with some pre-arb and early arb years and not their current year salary. As an illustrative example, Alex Bregman's current deal included three pre- free agency years and is 5/100. 11, 11, 11, 28.5, 28.5. This year he makes 28.5 million, but his CBT number is 20 million. If the rebuild goes well, every little bit may help in that regard.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Lee signed with the Giants... and I know Tiger337 was really interested in signing him for the Tigers so...

Lee lost Lee.

I was interested in him early,but I didn't expect them to really pursue him especially after the Canha acquisition.  Looks like he got a good deal for himself.  I am not good at guessing these things, but it seems better than expected.   

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was interested in him early,but I didn't expect them to really pursue him especially after the Canha acquisition.  Looks like he got a good deal for himself.  I am not good at guessing these things, but it seems better than expected.   

Consensus from what I’ve read is that it is an overpay by quite a bit. Apparently he was a Boras guy. I guess Boras knew SF was in desperation mode to produce a signing and took full advantage of the situation, which is what he gets paid to do. 

45 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Consensus from what I’ve read is that it is an overpay by quite a bit. Apparently he was a Boras guy. I guess Boras knew SF was in desperation mode to produce a signing and took full advantage of the situation, which is what he gets paid to do. 

Aw, those poor Giants, bless their little hearts.

11 hours ago, oblong said:

Fans just think players are items on a shelf in a store and you pick up what you want and that's all there is to it.  Or you can trade a couple of bad players for a good player because 3+3+3 = 9.

I couldn't have said it better. 

16 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Credit to you for acknowledging that there actually is cost or risk involved. Many appear unable to acknowledge that.

The risk of having a high payroll is not the fan's problem.  If a team commits to a high payroll ,long-term, that is a good thing for fans.  If they go wild for a year or two and then cut back, that would be a problem, but that is not what fans are hoping fior.