2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

One year at a condo on the beach I watched the maintenance guy every morning and thought “I want that as a retirement gig”. Came by every day and picked up things around the pool, changed garbage out, sprayed off the pool area, straightened the chairs…. Maybe he does some light work with regard to plumbing or electrical.   I just love early morning prep work for some reason.  One summer when I was delivering pizzas I also made the dough in the morning.  Getting up wifh the sun, working alone for a few hours, then face the day knowing you accomplished something.  It’s the same feeling I get when I run in the morning. 

I'm fine with it, probably isn't going to blow us away but if we were looking for somebody to fill the Lorenzen role he could do just that, projections have him at 150IP of 4.3 ERA. While they probably are hoping he can rediscover what he had earlier in his career I think the Tigers would be fine with those numbers. 

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Jack Flaherty has not been good since 2021, but he seems like someone they can work with.  

Lots of injuries - oblique and shoulder. He maybe needs a pitching whisperer less than just staying healthy. He was pretty good when he was good, so I guess at $14M you call this one high risk/high reward. And if he does recover form he'll be an attractive deadline offering if there are guys like Gipson-Long who are challenging for promotion to the rotation. 

If Meada and Flaherty both start 30 games, then one of Mize, Manning, or Olsen is not in the rotation - or maybe they figure to limit Mize and Manning's innings such that together are only going to total about one starting spot.

Edited by gehringer_2

The new speculation is whether this portends trading any young arms.... I'd be hesitant to do that, otherwise you're betting on a big bounce back from Flaherty in 2024.

Overall, I think it's a fine signing and given that this org has had success working with pitchers, it seems like a worthy gamble despite his rough 2023 stats.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lots of injuries - oblique and shoulder. He maybe needs a pitching whisperer less than just staying healthy. He was pretty good when he was good, so I guess at $14M you call this one high risk/high reward. And if he does recover form he'll be an attractive deadline offering if there are guys like Gipson-Long who are challenging for promotion to the rotation.

They now have 8 starters:

Skubal

Olson

Maeda

Flaherty

Manning

Mize

Gipson-Long

Faedo

The could make a trade, but they'll probably need them all.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

... It’s a legitimate offseason so far.  I really don’t see much else happening, though would love to be pleasantly surprised.

This is my thinking as well.

It's a frugal offseason...

I would've liked one high-end starter added but am now doubtful we'll get that.

We'll see about that surprise...