2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I can see them doubling up in the rotation like they did this season. Mize and Manning pitch four innings each in the same game. Olson pitched 100 innings, Skubal and Manning only 80 each. They won't want to drastically increase their workloads next year.

Olson also had 36 innings at Toledo.  I think expecting 160 in 2024 is reasonable, although you never know for sure with pitchers (health) and youth (consistency).

Manning hasn't been above 100 in a season since 130+ in 2019.  Not really sure what to expect out of him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up moved or in the bullpen.

Skubal has gone 149, 117, 95 the past 3 seasons.  I think they'll let him go as he can go.

They need to cover 1,400 innings.  I used to think around 900-950 of those needed to be covered by the SP.  I don't know if that's really the right math anymore with pitch counts and increased usage of RP.

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

maybe that is a factor, and having the flexibility to move him up and down is nice, but Faedo is 28 - if he can help as a reliever, just take that IMO

Oh, sure.  His numbers look pretty good the first time through the lineup.  Afterwards, not so much.  Maybe his destiny is as a RP.  I think with the SP options for the Tigers, game/season durability is a reasonable concern.  So, that puts a little bit more workload on the BP.  Having a few multiple inning RPs would be beneficial.  I think Harris/Hinch have mentioned this (specifically the RPs) somewhat recently. 

29 minutes ago, casimir said:

The commentary on Faedo was before the extra option was granted, too.

They knew the 4th option was coming. It just wasn't public until last week. I had it in my calculations and if they have anybody working on that stuff in the FO, they would have it too.

Tigers getting a new videoboard along with upgraded sound system and TV's.

The board doesn't matter to me, they claim it will be "bigger" but I think that just means the previous ad space will have video now but still used for ads....

the sound was getting bad.  Sometimes I couldn't even hear the PA guy.  And many TV's were not working.  But I hope the sound is not too loud to where you can't talk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Tigers getting a new videoboard along with upgraded sound system and TV's.

The board doesn't matter to me, they claim it will be "bigger" but I think that just means the previous ad space will have video now but still used for ads....

the sound was getting bad.  Sometimes I couldn't even hear the PA guy.  And many TV's were not working.  But I hope the sound is not too loud to where you can't talk.

Just came here to post this. Comerica was in long need for this TLC. I noticed the television issue for years. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Just came here to post this. Comerica was in long need for this TLC. I noticed the television issue for years. 

The seats are starting to show age too.  There's one behind me that doesn't even open properly.  Nobody sits in it during my games because it's a single.  Used to belong to a group of 3, they didn't renew.  

I don't walk around enough in the lower level to notice if they've updated them but the historical displayers and banners could use some TLC.  It's been 23 years since the park opened.  Perhaps it's time for some Marcus Thames or Carlos Guillen or Jeremy Bonderman displays.  

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sure, they are legit prospects, but they aren't Riley Greene level prospects.  Malloy, in particular, doesn't have a position.  Jung is more highly regarded, but I've heard mixed reviews on his defense and readiness for the majors.  If there was a good MLB third baseman available (there probably isn't) I wouldn't worry about blockng either one.  

Yes this is what I meant, they're the type of guys that have a real chance at being MLB regulars but are far from sure things and are the type of playerss that you expect a system to have multiple of in any given year so if you are afraid of blocking players like that then you might as well never dip your toes into FA or trading cause you should always have guys like that in your system.

As you said they're not the premium guys like Greene and Tork were viewed at where you may only get prospects of that caliber every 5-10 years so you want to make sure that you take full advantage of them. 

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

The seats are starting to show age too.  There's one behind me that doesn't even open properly.  Nobody sits in it during my games because it's a single.  Used to belong to a group of 3, they didn't renew.  

I don't walk around enough in the lower level to notice if they've updated them but the historical displayers and banners could use some TLC.  It's been 23 years since the park opened.  Perhaps it's time for some Marcus Thames or Carlos Guillen or Jeremy Bonderman displays.  

I know the seats are a little wider and roomier(atleast I think they are) but I never got why the seats down by home plate got upgraded. I'm only judging based off of TV but it seem like most other stadiums have the big padded "first class" type chairs behind the plate where as Comerica is essentially the same as a regular seat. Aside from the comfort of the fan I just think aesthetically on TV it looks cheap and less than when you compare it to other stadiums. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

the idea of creating a core of young players that all come up together is really smart from a long term branding view.  

There are a couple 2006-2014 era Tigers who have some cachet with the fanbase but due to the nature of the business, the culture difference with such a large group of Venezuelan stars and free agency creating gaps with the Michigan community we didn't experience some of their careers as long as we did as we did watching the 84' core grow up together.   I do like having Andy Dirks, Cam Maybin, Craig Monroe be part of the current media group.   It sucks that I don't really get the chance to understand what the bulk of the latin players were thinking and what they think of the current team.  

Scherzer just had surgery on his back and is going to be out until July. Jacob DeGrom had TJ surgery in June so he's likely out until atleast that same period as well so as of now the Rangers look like they could use a starter or two. If we are entertaining thoughts of trading somebody they could be a fit. 

Just thinking about the Flaherty contract, you don't really hear about club options anymore so it probably couldn't of happened but I wonder if there was a way to try to convince him to take a club option 2nd year? Like maybe have the 2nd year be a club option of 20 million which would be a 6 million dollar raise.

Just throwing that out there cause I do think he is the type of guy that we could potentially turn around, maybe not to his pre 2020 days where he was a legit ace but maybe a solid number 2 in which case it would be nice to have another year of control for him and at 20 million that wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Also would make him more attractive at the trade deadline as well if we decided to sell, but again he probably wouldn't have accepted since like I said doesn't seem like club options are a thing these days but just something I wonder if there was any potential thought to it.  

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

plans can change, but pretty sure AJ said late last season that BB and Faedo are relievers

I wasn't sure about this since Faedo was used mostly as a starter last year.  However, it does make sense that Hinch wants both him and Brieske to be relievers.  

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just thinking about the Flaherty contract, you don't really hear about club options anymore so it probably couldn't of happened but I wonder if there was a way to try to convince him to take a club option 2nd year? Like maybe have the 2nd year be a club option of 20 million which would be a 6 million dollar raise.

Just throwing that out there cause I do think he is the type of guy that we could potentially turn around, maybe not to his pre 2020 days where he was a legit ace but maybe a solid number 2 in which case it would be nice to have another year of control for him and at 20 million that wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Also would make him more attractive at the trade deadline as well if we decided to sell, but again he probably wouldn't have accepted since like I said doesn't seem like club options are a thing these days but just something I wonder if there was any potential thought to it.  

There was a team option in Chafin's contract.  

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Chafin got a club option. I'm sure if the Tigers went back to Flaherty at this stage and said "actually, we want to tack on an option year," that would likely go over like a lead balloon. He likely wanted a pillow contract, betting on himself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Chafin got a club option. I'm sure if the Tigers went back to Flaherty at this stage and said "actually, we want to tack on an option year," that would likely go over like a lead balloon. He likely wanted a pillow contract, betting on himself.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured that's why I threw out giving him a pretty big raise for the option year to try to entice him but like you said he's probably just betting on himself and hoping to get a good multi year deal next year.