2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

The Flahtery signing will prove very beneficial. As it stands now he has the most innings from 2023 of all our starters and we need innings badly. Plus it’s his second year from injury and a springboard to free agency at 29. He will be gone after 2024 so we can pitch him to death next year. He is essentially our mercenary for 2024. Good match and he should do well. 

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

lol figures, whenever I go by a "feeling" instead of actually checking there ends up being obvious examples that I miss. 

Chafin's deal is interesting in how team friendly it is compared to his initial deal.... lower cost and more control after year 1 with a team option.

As much as folks complained about letting him go last year, especially early when the bullpen was struggling, the situation is basically going to play out about as well as it possibly could have for the Tigers.

57 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

The Flahtery signing will prove very beneficial. .... He is essentially our mercenary for 2024. Good match and he should do well. 

The "should do well" part could have a pretty wide variation though...

The high upside is if our pitching "whisperers" can really coax the max ability/ velocity/ pitchability out of him...

With their track record... that's a major reason why I think Flaherty chose us and went with the 1-year bet on himself.

For Detroit... It's all good, nothing but upside potential. The downside is he's a 5th starter innings eater which, as you've pointed out, we needed anyways.

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Would you concede that you are completely shooting from the hip on the clubhouse side and Harris et. al. likely have more information there?

Shooting from the hip?!?! Hear! Hear! 
My comments were based on interviews conducted over a full 12 month period with several of Chapman’s former team mates at every level he has ever played…including T-Ball! I also interviewed several of his former managers and coaches. Bob Melvin was very gracious to give me a few minutes of his time with all he has on his plate right now. 
In fact, a minor league bus driver for an unnamed minor league team on which Chapman played, informed me Chapman gave him one of the best tips he’s ever received. He stated the tip afforded his family a “real Christmas” that year. 😢
Of his present and current neighbors that responded to my inquiries, there were nothing but positive responses regarding his character and willingness to help others. 
Shooting from the hip indeed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 1776 said:

My comments were based on interviews conducted over a full 12 month period with several of Chapman’s former team mates at every level he has ever played…including T-Ball! I also interviewed several of his former managers and coaches. Bob Melvin was very gracious to give me a few minutes of his time with all he has on his plate right now. 
In fact, a minor league bus driver for an unnamed minor league team on which Chapman played, informed me Chapman gave him one of the best tips he’s ever received. He stated the tip afforded his family a “real Christmas” that year. 😢
Of his present and current neighbors that responded to my inquiries, there were nothing but positive responses regarding his character and willingness to help others. 

That’s the kind of quality, investigative reporting that we’ve come to expect from you.  Nice work.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Does he have a hot wife?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Also... BOTH Olson and Mize are starters for now, even if one is pushed to Toledo to start the season... and NOT piggy-back relievers...

PBRelievers TM would be Faedo, Wentz, maybe Montero, etc...

IMO.

I can see them taking 2 of the 6 starters and using them as a tandem.  My guess is Mize will be very limited at first, so he'll always go just 3 innings, maybe 4 if the first 3 were easy and then Olson always coming in and pitching a few more innings.  Anyway, we're looking at 6 pitchers with a legit claim as being starters, the last 2 years have taught us we're going to need a few more.   I'd say probably have 9 in mind from the start.  Flaherty helps them go a long way if he can stay healthy and even pitch average baseball.   

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

The Flahtery signing will prove very beneficial. As it stands now he has the most innings from 2023 of all our starters and we need innings badly. Plus it’s his second year from injury and a springboard to free agency at 29. He will be gone after 2024 so we can pitch him to death next year. He is essentially our mercenary for 2024. Good match and he should do well. 

I agree with this.  

4 hours ago, 1776 said:

I didn't mind lending you my Lear, but for Pete's sake at least fill up the tank before you return it next time.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, gehringer_2 said:

They  have to come out of the gate hitting though. We can't see a repeat of the last two years where nobody hits until May and they are already 10 under.

This really is the year TORK! has to take a decent step forward, meaning 120 or better wRC+ for the whole year. I know he’s only 24, but come one, 1/1 …

On 12/15/2023 at 3:42 AM, Tiger337 said:

Sure, they are legit prospects, but they aren't Riley Greene level prospects.  Malloy, in particular, doesn't have a position.  Jung is more highly regarded, but I've heard mixed reviews on his defense and readiness for the majors.  If there was a good MLB third baseman available (there probably isn't) I wouldn't worry about blockng either one.  

Matt Chapman is still out there … 😁