2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

20 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Makes sense. They’ve gotten screwed by the new draft lottery—especially this year—their system is among the worst in Baseball, and coming off a 106-loss season, they needed to do something to maintain relevance in that market.

17 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Chafin's deal is interesting in how team friendly it is compared to his initial deal.... lower cost and more control after year 1 with a team option.

As much as folks complained about letting him go last year, especially early when the bullpen was struggling, the situation is basically going to play out about as well as it possibly could have for the Tigers.

Chafin as much as admitted he made a big mistake opting out of his second year last season. That’s OK, though, I think he and his family will be fine.

21 hours ago, Edman85 said:

They knew the 4th option was coming. It just wasn't public until last week. I had it in my calculations and if they have anybody working on that stuff in the FO, they would have it too.

Yes, I think I remember that you called it out as a possibility, but I don't know when that was.  My guess is they probably had that in their sights as well.

I know the NFL has its training camp show on HBO or Amazon or whatever platform, and I obviously can't recall the name of the show.  I wonder if MLB would consider something like that for spring training.  I'd be interested in seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff.  I realize that it'd probably be only a fraction of what goes on, but I think that could be fascinating to see if done well.

Hmmmm.....

Giants Considering Trading From Group Of Young Pitchers

The Giants are entertaining the idea of trading from their group of young and controllable pitching prospects, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. He says that signing a veteran will make it more likely but it’s a path they are already considering. As for who is in this group that Rosenthal is referring to, he lists lefties Kyle Harrison and Carson Whisenhunt as well as righties Tristan Beck, Keaton Winn, Mason Black and Hayden Birdsong.

None of Black, Whisenhunt nor Birdsong are on the 40-man roster, but Black has reached Triple-A and the latter two have made it to the Double-A level. Baseball America currently lists Whisenhunt as the club’s #5 prospect, Black at #8 and Birdsong at #12.

There is a lot of potential in that group but very few sure things. Subtracting someone from the flock would be a risk, but Rosenthal frames it as something that might need to be considered in order to add young, athletic position players.

This just struck me as interesting given Harris' previous employer.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Kreidler, McKinstry...

I forgot about Zach, but I don't think Kreidler is viable, unless he's better at the plate. Eddys has played all over the infield in the Dodgers system, seems like a perfect fit. And his righthandedness would come in handy off the bench.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Hmmmm.....

Giants Considering Trading From Group Of Young Pitchers

This just struck me as interesting given Harris' previous employer.

The Giants are in a tight spot right now. Their position players are all so-so or young and yet unproven. Zaidi should have been out the door with Kapler. The team has very little, if any, leverage in trade talks with other teams. 
Boras played Zaidi like banjo on Jung Hoo Lee. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Henning's writing style is off putting to some, but I don't think he is pompous.  He has respectful conversations with fans all the time.  He would never say anyting lke "I wish you guys would read my stuff".  

If anything, Henning is kind of a goof ball - always speculating out to the extremes. But for me it just mostly his writing style is so over the top with the adjectives that it's amusing - like he's trying to impress a 12th grade creative writing teacher. But that part has nothing to do with what he's trying to say. He seems like an OK guy otherwise.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Na, the steel could wedge into the bone. Yuck.

That’s a possible hazard around heavy equipment that could bend the steel toe downward.  I’m not sure a baseball has enough force to do that.  And I would think if anything, it’d be a lighter material fashioned in way around the foot to not dig in.

41 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Giants are in a tight spot right now. Their position players are all so-so or young and yet unproven. Zaidi should have been out the door with Kapler. The team has very little, if any, leverage in trade talks with other teams. 

Harris cannot help but notice that his old boss is hanging on by a thread.

Edited by RatkoVarda

39 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m not going to pretend to know if Harris and company like the balance or depth of prospects in house enough to try to make a move with the Giants.  It just struck as interesting an interesting proposition to trade for pitching prospects that aren’t yet on the 40 and Harris’ relationship with that team.  Maybe there’s something to it, maybe there isn’t.

Just now, Tenacious D said:

Or miss more bats. As I recall, the exit velocity on the 2nd injury was pretty high.  He seems to give up a lot of hard hit balls, but someone more analytical and less lazy could prove me wrong on this.

Well, yeah, I guess that’d be the optimal thing.

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I forgot about Zach, but I don't think Kreidler is viable, unless he's better at the plate. Eddys has played all over the infield in the Dodgers system, seems like a perfect fit. And his righthandedness would come in handy off the bench.

Leonard plays all over because he isn't a good defensive shortstop. Kreidler is a good defensive shortstop and is much more viable if you want somebody who can play the position.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If anything, Henning is kind of a goof ball - always speculating out to the extremes. But for me it just mostly his writing style is so over the top with the adjectives that it's amusing - like he's trying to impress a 12th grade creative writing teacher. But that part has nothing to do with what he's trying to say. He seems like an OK guy otherwise.

Lynn jumped the shark with the AJ opt-out, and it's hard to take him seriously after he just made up that story