2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

I pay like $10 bucks a month for the Detroit News sports page and wonder why. It’s only 10 $ but is it a waste of time ?

They do have access to players and management, so they might get an occasional revealing quote that you can't get elsewhere.  My online subscription budget includes Baseball-Reference (so I have access to stathead) and FanGraphs (so I I can avoid ads) and that's it.  I tried the Athletic, but I found it wasn't worth it for me.    

Mariners just bought last 27% of their RSN that they did not own. Not connected to Bally bankruptcy, but interesting that Ms are one of the most profitable franchises already.

Still think that Tigers+Wings gives Ilitch 2 ready made content providers if they go that way. Could promise to not carry any Pistons games as well.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

That’s a possible hazard around heavy equipment that could bend the steel toe downward.  I’m not sure a baseball has enough force to do that.  And I would think if anything, it’d be a lighter material fashioned in way around the foot to not dig in.

The bigger issue for Manning might be the specter of a missile approaching them from 60 feet and arriving at him in about a third of a second. Yes, I realize every pitcher faces the same possibility, but Manning has actually been hit twice, and a guy like that could reasonably develop the yips when it comes to delivering the pitch.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They do have access to players and management, so they might get an occasional revealing quote that you can't get elsewhere.  My online subscription budget includes Baseball-Reference (so I have access to stathead) and FanGraphs (so I I can avoid ads) and that's it.  I tried the Athletic, but I found it wasn't worth it for me.    

I currently have the Athletic at $40/year which is reasonable but agree not as good as advertised. Never joined BR or FG but might try them.

43 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I currently have the Athletic at $40/year which is reasonable but agree not as good as advertised. Never joined BR or FG but might try them.

You don't need subsciptions to use either site.  I think most people can get all the stats they need from B-Ref for free.  I got a subscription to use the stathead part of the site because I like to do research.   FanGraphs provides stats for free too, but their ads are obtrusive.  

Part of me feels a civic duty to support local journalism. They can expose corruption and other problems and prove useful to society. I was paying $9.99 each for the news and freep. I cancelled during a purge on expenses.  I’m torn. We do need a strong media for accountability reasons. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

You don't need subsciptions to use either site.  I think most people can get all the stats they need from B-Ref for free.  I got a subscription to use the stathead part of the site because I like to do research.   FanGraphs provides stats for free too, but their ads are obtrusive.  

Ok thanks !

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I just renewed the Athletic at $9.99 for the year simply by threatening to dump them when my prior year was up.

I get the Free Press and News for $1.00 per month, although that’s gonna expire pretty soon.

I will try that after the Holidays. Now's the time to be jolly 🙂

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Part of me feels a civic duty to support local journalism. They can expose corruption and other problems and prove useful to society. I was paying $9.99 each for the news and freep. I cancelled during a purge on expenses.  I’m torn. We do need a strong media for accountability reasons. 

I agree 100%, you need local journalism.  I pay for my local rag, the Hamilton Spectator, and also for the Toronto Globe and Mail, the only quasi-national paper that does not have a hard right or hard left agenda.

8 hours ago, oblong said:

This is where I am at, except both Detroit Papers and the Jacksonville paper are Gannett owned, so I wonder how much local journalism is being served by me subscribing there.

11 hours ago, oblong said:

Not to get more political than this here, but I don’t think local newspapers feel that’s their purview anymore, and the papers that do feel that purview tend to be more national now.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not to get more political than this here, but I don’t think local newspapers feel that’s their purview anymore, and the papers that do feel that purview tend to be more national now.

I saw a front page shared on Twitter of a newspaper based in Houma/Thibodeaux Louisiana recently where the front page cover was about President of Harvard's testimony before Congress regarding antisemitism on their campus. It really struck me as a great example of how the news industry falls woefully short in covering local issues in today's day and age.

Also not looking to comment on the politics either, but at a larger level, local newspapers and news outlets really have lost course.... with larger cities like Detroit and Chicago it makes sense to have a national beat or focus some on it, but overall at the smaller regional level, there are too many important stories that get ignored in favor or national stories. And the reasons seem as much about finances (ie. keeping costs down, not paying more staff), which is such a failure the people they purport to serve.

Edited by mtutiger

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I saw a front page shared on Twitter of a newspaper based in Houma/Thibodeaux Louisiana recently where the front page cover was about President of Harvard's testimony before Congress regarding antisemitism on their campus. It really struck me as a great example of how the news industry falls woefully short in covering local issues in today's day and age.

Also not looking to comment on the politics either, but at a larger level, local newspapers and news outlets really have lost course.... with larger cities like Detroit and Chicago it makes sense to have a national beat or focus some on it, but overall at the smaller regional level, there are too many important stories that get ignored in favor or national stories. And the reasons seem as much about finances (ie. keeping costs down, not paying more staff), which is such a failure the people they purport to serve.

The local paper here literally exposed and brought down a corrupt scheme by the former mayor and the local city owned utility to privatize it and take kickbacks. That journalist is thankfully still around and a big reason why I pay for the local paper.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Nobody reads that stuff.

That's the problem. People keep saying why isn't it covered where is it going less national, etc etc. But nobody reads it

Speaking of Jack Flaherty, I believe it was someone here who posted that it was high risk-high reward. But it’s only a one-year deal, which is basically the opposite of high risk. The Tigers may have tried to add a second year but Flaherty rejected it to bet on himself. Or perhaps Flaherty asked for additional years with an opt-out and the Tigers said no. Either way, it’s only a single year, so I don’t see the risk.

Edited by chasfh

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Speaking of Jack Flaherty, I believe it was someone here who posted that it was high risk-high reward. But it’s only a one-year deal, which is basically the opposite of high risk. The Tigers may have tried to add a second year but Flaherty rejected it to bet on himself. Or perhaps Flaherty asked for additional years with an opt-out and the Tigers said no. Either way, it’s only a single year, so I don’t see the risk.

🙋‍♂️ Only risk in that he's more expensive than the typical lower cost tiger rehab signing, even for the one year - I suppose whether possibly wasting 14M for a year is risk or not is of course in the eye of the beholder...:classic_wink:. It's not a sub replacement Cabrera for 5 years at $40M risk, but it is 65% more on the table than in the Lorenzen signing, which was more along the line of where I thought they would end up. Of course, inflation has affected pitching.....

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

🙋‍♂️ Only risk in that he's more expensive than the typical lower cost tiger rehab signing, even for the one year - I suppose whether possibly wasting 14M for a year is risk or not is of course in the eye of the beholder...:classic_wink:. It's not a sub replacement Cabrera for 5 years at $40M risk, but it is 65% more on the table than in the Lorenzen signing, which was more along the line of where I thought they would end up. Of course, inflation has affected pitching.....

Depends on the opportunity cost of that $14M.

I like the move to see what Fetter/Nieves/Lund can do and as insurance for Mize to get back into MLB shape.