2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Sounds like a story math problem.

That’s when I checked out. Calc II. I was breezing thru calc I and my professor noticed I didn’t sign up for II. He approached me and said I was one of his best students. I told him as we got to the latest chapter of which became more story and real world application that it got much harder for me. Until then it came natural.  I was stupid. I had the attitude if it’s not something that was meant for me since I struggled. He told me it was hard for him and he has a PhD. I often wonder what would have happened if I had better guidance.  I was led to believe we were all good at something and we had to find it. Not learn to become good at something.  My family wasn’t educated. 

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

That’s when I checked out. Calc II. I was breezing thru calc I and my professor noticed I didn’t sign up for II. He approached me and said I was one of his best students. I told him as we got to the latest chapter of which became more story and real world application that it got much harder for me. Until then it came natural.  I was stupid. I had the attitude if it’s not something that was meant for me since I struggled. He told me it was hard for him and he has a PhD. I often wonder what would have happened if I had better guidance.  I was led to believe we were all good at something and we had to find it. Not learn to become good at something.  My family wasn’t educated. 

My family was educated in the humanties, but terrible at math.  I think they believed the same as you did, especially my father.  I actually think the thing that taught me that you can get better at something through hard work and prtactice was running cross country and track in high school.  Other sports can do that too, but I think that success in competitive running is more purely based on what you put into it.  Math was not that easy for me and I struggled at it many times along the way, but when I knew what I was doing, I liked it better than my other classes.  That is probably why I stuck with it. 

58 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

My family was educated in the humanties, but terrible at math.  I think they believed the same as you did, especially my father.  I actually think the thing that taught me that you can get better at something through hard work and prtactice was running cross country and track in high school.  Other sports can do that too, but I think that success in competitive running is more purely based on what you put into it.  Math was not that easy for me and I struggled at it many times along the way, but when I knew what I was doing, I liked it better than my other classes.  That is probably why I stuck with it. 

Also, I think you are good at math and logic!

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Mine is not very different.

I actually got through Calc II and Matrix Theory and Differential Equations and...

Was looking at career choices as a Mathematician: (A) Actuary. (B) Theoretical Mathematician with a PHD.

I didn't like either choice so I shifted to Accounting and got my degree and my CPA.

But my family consists of almost all uneducated blue collar workers. Firefighters (Dad & Grandpa), machine shop workers or GM (various uncles), etc... 

So I had zero guidance as well...

No regrets with my choice, but I actually think I would have preferred either Actuary or Finance if I had known better (anything). I was on the Math Club in High School. My head was filled with numbers. And I actually, in all of my accounting jobs over the past 30+ years do math all day long. Writing math formulas in Excel, financial analytics, financial reporting, understanding ERP system logic and coding and working with the IT guys to write Workflows, Reports, Scripts, etc...

46 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Tigers are signing Shelby Miller.  He hasn't been good since 2015 but showed some promise in his come back last year (although not as good as his ERA).  A low risk low upside signing, but someone who should make the team out of spring training.  

Probably just someone to throw in the BP to try and help all the kids in there...

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Makes you wonder if there is something in Flaherty and Miller’s profiles that make the Tigers think they can unlock something, similar to what they were able to do with Lorenzen.

I mean Miller is going to be a RP and had a sub-2 ERA last year. He added a splitter last year with the Dodgers. So hopefully he can keep that up.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Probably just someone to throw in the BP to try and help all the kids in there...

I’m pretty sure we signed Miller to do more than throw batting practice.

I like the signing as a good bullpen depth move. Miller added a splitter last season and was crushing hitters with it, although the flip side is that his already high-ish walk rate spiked. Maybe the Whisperer mentioned seeing something he could work with and that why they went for him. Miller’s also going to get a chance to close some games early on since his contract has incentives based on that. It may or may not work, but might as well try him there because who else we gonna put there? Lange or bust?

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I like the signing as a good bullpen depth move. Miller added a splitter last season and was crushing hitters with it, although the flip side is that his already high-ish walk rate spiked. Maybe the Whisperer mentioned seeing something he could work with and that why they went for him. Miller’s also going to get a chance to close some games early on since his contract has incentives based on that. It may or may not work, but might as well try him there because who else we gonna put there? Lange or bust?

Most of his control issues came when he was suffering with a herniated disc in his neck, when he came back off the 60 day, he barely walked anyone.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

He also allowed only 19 hits in 42 innings.  WHIP was under 1.0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

Most of his control issues came when he was suffering with a herniated disc in his neck, when he came back off the 60 day, he barely walked anyone.

Yup. From 8/31: 43 batters faced, 1 BB

He was lights out in Sept. Could be a great add if he stays healthy. OTOH - it was a neck injury - downside would be Zimmermann part duex.

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. From 8/31: 43 batters faced, 1 BB

He was lights out in Sept. Could be a great add if he stays healthy. OTOH - it was a neck injury - downside would be Zimmermann part duex.

If he's Zimmermann, then they just dump him because he's not getting paid much.