2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If the season started today, they would have eight relievers pretty much locked in to start the season.  In that case, six starters would not be an option.  Somebody will get hurt, but it seems like 6 starters is not the plan.

Foley

Holton

Lange

Chafin

Vest

Faedo

Brieske

Miller

It does look like they are setting up for lots of IP to come from the bullpen. Still, I think Faedo, Miller and Chafin would be the only guys they can't option, so it's not like the rest of them can't pitch their way off the 26 easily enough.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I was going to say Vest would have the most risk at losing his spot but that may not be true. 

I think Lange may still have some risk even though the bullpen and rotation look pretty much set.

Just a WAG theory but... if 6 starters actually squeeze onto the roster (and Manning/Mize work by tandem starts) in a 5-man rotation... that exposes one of those relievers to a trade. It'd have to be a Spring Training move though... and late...

March 31st, 2024: Traditional (modern) staff...? Or "calculated risk"?

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was going to say Vest would have the most risk at losing his spot but that may not be true. 

I think Lange may still have some risk even though the bullpen and rotation look pretty much set.

Just a WAG theory but... if 6 starters actually squeeze onto the roster (and Manning/Mize work by tandem starts) in a 5-man rotation... that exposes one of those relievers to a trade. It'd have to be a Spring Training move though... and late...

Team is definitely hyper concerned about pitching depth, and you can't blame them after the last three years. Still it is inevitable that the luck screw will turn and they may have a season when no-one gets hurt and they won't know what to do with all the stockpiled arms.....🤷‍♂️

Still, rather have too much than too little.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It does look like they are setting up for lots of IP to come from the bullpen. Still, I think Faedo, Miller and Chafin would be the only guys they can't option, so it's not like the rest of them can't pitch their way off the 26 easily enough.

They can option Faedo, can't option Wentz

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is no doubt that all kinds of bad things could happen to their pitchers and probably will, but if the season started now and they wanted to go with six starters, it would be a tough choice demoting one of those eight.  

Edited by Tiger337

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Splitting starts for guys on innings limits makes so much sense you know it must rub old school baseball people the wrong way....:classic_wink:

One of the beat writers, don't remember which - wrote this week that the Tigers say there will be no 6 man rotations. Of course given the quality of the sports reporting in town that may be worthless in general, plus it's also possible that even if management did tell him that, a 5 day rotation with a split start every 5th day may or may not be management's definition of a 6 man rotation.

Well, and I guess the other thing with the split starts is, how long will that last?  At some point attrition will hit.  Will that split start split up out of necessity?  Will the timing of it be fortunate enough that either/both of those pitchers be ready to go 5 or longer?

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Unless there are injuries, I don't think even a lights out camp would get him up north.  

Yeah, you might be right.  There don’t seem to be many bullpen options in your probable 8 that are likely to see time in Toledo.

I still think there’s a trade that moves some pitching at some point before Opening Day.  The Soto trade hasn’t worked out as hoped.  I’m not comfortable with Lange’s BB9, not sure if/when that’ll improve.  I can see closer by committee even though I think most don’t like it.  Or maybe Foley as closer.  Whatever, I think they can figure something out without Lange.

Listening to Harris it seems Shelby Miller will have every opportunity to close. It seems to be him or Lange based on control with Foley as back up but he doesn't have the strike out pitch most closers posses. 

Is it possible we just signed a good closer for 3 million a year ? What a coup that would be. 

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think BP is primarily Batting Practice. But it is used for both.

BP is used for both here, but it’s not used for bullpen anywhere else.

Now I remember what the other one is: DH.

You: We play a DH today.

Me: We play a DH every day. Pitchers don’t hit anymore.

You: No, I mean we play a day-night DH.

Me: …

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don’t mind the six-starter theory as long as there are only five slots in the rotation, and the last slot is split among various optionable players, long relievers, and openers. But I definitely do not want my best, most reliable starters to have five days of rest on the regular.

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Team is definitely hyper concerned about pitching depth, and you can't blame them after the last three years. Still it is inevitable that the luck screw will turn and they may have a season when no-one gets hurt and they won't know what to do with all the stockpiled arms.....🤷‍♂️

Still, rather have too much than too little.

I seem to remember one of our problems is that we did not construct a staff with an eye toward the inevitable injuries and the having to slot guys in and out of the rotation as a result. We would go north with five guys in the rotation and then be surprised when man down. TBF, I think that’s how most teams would handle it, at least up tol the past few years. I like the idea that this team might be setting themselves up with aforethought to manage through that inevitably.