2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We've said this the last 3 years and it keeps happening. 

The get a little slack for 22 because they were doing a lot of sorting out but when it happened again last season it was more disturbing. The weird thing was that they were hitting OK in ST. It was almost as though the season started, the scouting reports started getting more detailed and the numbers guys maybe starting feeding the hitters more than they could process and everyone got too tentative. At least in Torkelson's case he sure looked too 'in-between' to me early in the season. I hope that isn't what happened, or if it was they are smart enough to avoid it happening again.

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We've said this the last 3 years and it keeps happening. 

The problem is they have a team capable of going through a long offensive drought.  Instead of April, it could be 20 games in June instead.  They need to get better offensive players in order to avoid that.    

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The problem is they have a team capable of going through a long offensive drought.  Instead of April, it could be 20 games in June instead.  They need to get better offensive players in order to avoid that.    

Just last year, when Riley went down they suddenly fell into the abyss and lost 9 straight.  even if they just win 4 out of 9, they're a .500 team.    But it's those horrid starts 

2021: 9-24

2022: 9-23

2023: 2-9      

Can't do that again.    

Just start me out around 10-12.   Still in the NFC North hunt with that record.   Oh, sorry AL Central.    Minnesota lost 2 starting pitchers.  The Guardians have a new manager.  The White Sox are completely dysfunctional and The Royals had their moment 7 years ago.     I think the Tigers are targeting 2025 and beyond as far as their peak goes, but that doesn't mean they can't win this lousy division in 2024 on their way up.    

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yep, and aside from Tork they really don't have any real boppers on the team either where you can have an otherwise bad game(s) with the bat but get that bloop and a blast to bail you out. To me that is the biggest problem with the offense.

I feel like there is a decent chance that they can be relatively good from an on base stand point but without the big boppers to drive them in you're depending on stringing together a bunch of hits/walks in a row to score which is just tough to do in this day and age with pitchers having the stuff they have now. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, and aside from Tork they really don't have any real boppers on the team either where you can have an otherwise bad game(s) with the bat but get that bloop and a blast to bail you out.

Carpenter's power has been inconsistent but maybe he can do more this season - but he might not play every day. What they really need is for Keith make the team out of ST and provide the opposite side power bat to pair with Tork.

The longer shot is Meadows, who also has plenty of power but hasn't proven he can produce.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Carpenter's power has been inconsistent but maybe he can do more this season - but he might not play every day. What they really need is for Keith make the team out of ST and provide the opposite side power bat to pair with Tork.

hard to see a rookie killing it coming out of spring training ... which is why I think they should have brought him up last September so he could get a jump on adjusting to the majors

Edited by Toddwert

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a long shot, but he's a pretty special bat. When you win in baseball it's often because you got some break or break through you didn't expect so here's hoping...

there is a lot long shots on the 24 Tigers i'd like to see the need for so many long shots be reduced  but we need all the pitching in world and hardly anything for an already bottom tier offense

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

What about Justin Turner dice roll. He can DH play a little third and first and won’t cost too much for one year so he doesn’t have to play every day. Just to provide depth. ??

He really can't field anymore and they just got rid of a full time DH so they can have the spot to rotate guys though. Unlikely they plug it right back up

On 12/24/2023 at 11:04 PM, IdahoBert said:

I’m starting to get ever so cautiously optimistic about this team. But I’m worried that it’ll be like you are nine years old and you think you’re going to get a new bike for Christmas from Grandma but instead you get a framed portrait of her. The movement on pitching is interesting and it looks promising. I just hope there are guys who know how to hit the ball. This hitting the ball thing is pretty important too. Please hit the ball a lot. 

The early part of the schedule is not difficult. As long as Maeda and Flaherty don't Pelfrey out we should do better than what we may be thinking 

On 12/26/2023 at 9:15 PM, Toddwert said:

there is a lot long shots on the 24 Tigers i'd like to see the need for so many long shots be reduced  but we need all the pitching in world and hardly anything for an already bottom tier offense

People are accustomed to crediting the Rangers World Series win to simply signing free agents, but in reality, they don't get there without their young core coming up and performing.

The Tigers are kind of in the same boat... maybe there's a trade to be had that could change the dynamics at third base, but otherwise it's hard to see anything that really moves the needle sitting on the free agent market right now.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

People are accustomed to crediting the Rangers World Series win to simply signing free agents, but in reality, they don't get there without their young core coming up and performing.

The Tigers are kind of in the same boat... maybe there's a trade to be had that could change the dynamics at third base, but otherwise it's hard to see anything that really moves the needle sitting on the free agent market right now.

Agree with the Rangers, but the FAs are just as important as the 'young core' in this case, IMHO.

Yea, seems very little for FA position players right now. Maybe a vet invite to ST that could 'possibly' make the team who could also have a veteran influence ex TKemp, Moose, etc. because putting all of that on MCanha is not fair either and if he hits the IL at some point...

Could get another vet SP (close to retirement: Kluber, Mad Baum, etc.). We would be fooling ourselves like the last two years in thinking we have enough depth right now. Even another 'invite' type/reclamation project (ex JRYU, FMontas, Carrasco, etc.).

They could also go after SImanaga IF they feel he would be worth it. In other words a gamble to sign him and then our P is then pretty much lined up for a while (including SGL, Madden, Jobe, etc.) and from there focus on position players (starting next year as we see how development unfolds this year). However, I feel Imanaga's price tag has perhaps gotten well over what they had initially thought it might be.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

yeah but those star players also carry the team when the young guys are learning and the Tigers dont have that.

depending on so many young players just reminds of the Pistons this season

Edited by Toddwert

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Chapman is a free agent.  I don't necessarily think they should sign him (depends on how many years it would take), but he would be a clear upgrade.