2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Pecota has Chapman at a .217/.311/.393 slash line, with plus defense, good for a 1.7 WAR (580 PA). Steamer is a bit more optimistic.

Regardless, I'm not sure that's the type of guy you commit to long term. I started getting some Mike Moustakas vibes and got the heeby jeebies. If When he ages off the position, the bat absolutely cannot handle 1B/DH. The back half of his upcoming contract figures to be an albatross, and really doesn't go very far toward upgrading the offense, if that is your intent.

Oh yeah...

Andy Ibanez .248/.305/.376 0.5 WAR (202 PA)

Zach McKinstry .222/.296/.361 0.2 WAR (361 PA)

Jace Jung .226/.309/.363 0.4 WAR (251 PA)

Colt Keith .241/.306/.387 0.6 WAR (294 PA)

And in addition to the bat not handling 1B/DH, they have Torkelson at 1B and other designs for DH.

The playing time on the projections is interesting.  Keith with only slightly more PAs than Jung even though popular theory is Jung will be in Toledo for a time.  43 PAs is about, what 2 or 3 weeks?  And I assume that Keith is slotted at 2B and Jung at 3B, unlike McKinstry who will probably move around a bit.

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

I agree 3B is the opportunity.  But I’m not sure more than 3 seasons for Chapman is wise.

Three is probably all you get, you'll have to go at least 4 to get the 3. If someone gives him 5 or 6 you offer more AAV up front or pass. The price of keeping the core together won't start going up for a couple years so the Tigers can afford to make a front loaded offer. That might appeal  - you never know until you offer.

Regarding Chapman, I’m a bit surprised SF hasn’t signed him yet. Chapman played for Bob Melvin in Oakland and is a California native. 
The Giants are not in a good position right now. The strength of their minor league system is pitching. They have a lot of subpar position players and like a bazillion outfielders at the major league level. To bring their position players up to par they would have to deal their future pitching prospects, and they have several good ones.

All the while the fan base is about to explode because other than Jung Hoo Lee, they’ve done NOTHING this off-season. 
They’ll overpay for what’s left at this point. Zaidi should have followed Kapler out the door. 

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Candelario would have been a better choice than Chapman anyways...

Based on:

Production.

Term.

Cost.

Chapman is a better 3B however and I'm tired of watching balls go down the 3b line unaccosted....

Chapman is good get if he has to settle for less than what he wants. If he finds himself in a "Correa goes to Minny for one year" situation because no-one bites on his demands after an off year, I want the Tigers to be there for him. Tigs can afford a large AAV in the short term no sweat. After Prince and Cabrera and Zimmermann I don't think we need to worry about Chris Ilitch giving away big dollars long term - I doubt that will be on the Tiger radar anytime soon.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I look at that aggregate photo of all the scouts I am genuinely surprised at how young they are on average.  They aren't 65, they're 45.  It's possible that only the oldest guys got fired, but is that because they were the most resistant to industry-wide changes in methodology?

This feels like out-of-court, here's $30,000 each, your scouting recommendations sucked but anyway take the money, now f off.

21 hours ago, Toddwert said:

yeah but those star players also carry the team when the young guys are learning and the Tigers dont have that.

It's not an apples to apples case, here.... there aren't any Corey Seagers out there and, with what is out there, is anything really worth the investment in terms of years given some of the options internally?

21 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Chapman is a free agent.  I don't necessarily think they should sign him (depends on how many years it would take), but he would be a clear upgrade.  

Matt Chapman would maybe the exception to the above, but in terms of contract length, he is going to be asking for too many years and there will be someone else out there willing to give him five years I'm guessing

20 hours ago, casimir said:

Has he been associated with any teams so far this offseason?  I would think the longer he goes unsigned, the fewer years he could command on a deal.  

I wouldn't read too much into the time it's taken to sign given the relative lack of activity more broadly thus far in the offseason.... he's going to command a longer term deal.

Edited by mtutiger

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Giant have no shot at beating the Dodgers at their own game. Better to pour all your resources into development like the Tigers and hope to be ready for when LA implodes - and then hope they do!

The Tigers strategy works because of the division they are in.... as much as we complain about how much they spend and their overall management / ownership group, it's probably the best in the division considering who they are bunked with.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

you left out Vierling - Steamer projection 1.1 WAR. Can he handle 3b on any regular basis? We've seen him make some good plays there, and some not so good....

They didn't seem to want to play him there much so I assume they don't think he can. Or maybe he doesn't want to.

They played him at 3B a lot down the stretch, and IIRC, commentary from the brass earlier in the offseason suggest that they plan on utilizing him at the position in 2024.

I'll take them at their word there.... although ideally put me in the camp of wanting them to trade from their strengths to bring back talent if the opportunity presents itself.

7 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

The Michigan area scout was an older guy, one of the best of the business, and was let go a while back. Sadly, he committed suicide.

I remember that article. I don't know that he was one of the best in the business. In the media guide as a part time scout. And I believe him leaving was his own choice. Although the two part time Michigan guys as of the 2023 media guide were the only ones with Michigan coverage. (The 2022 Midwest guy left after the 2022 season) image.png.876360722ba1c189d36bafadcce9402f.png

Edited by Edman85