2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 1/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, Tiger337 said:

Probably not, but it doesn't affect their starting pitching staff rank.  

It does if they constantly allow inherited runners to score. Most important stat for relievers. Amount of inherited runners they allow to score.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

It does if they constantly allow inherited runners to score. Most important stat for relievers. Amount of inherited runners they allow to score.

That wouldn't affect SP rank on fangraphs.  I am pretty sure their ranks are based on based on projected innings, strikeouts, walks, homers and possibly hard hit balls rather than runs allowed.  So, if a reliever doesn't get his job done, then that would be on him rather than the starter.  

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That wouldn't affect SP rank on fangraphs.  I am pretty sure their ranks are based on based on projected innings, strikeouts, walks, homers and possibly hard hit balls rather than runs allowed.  So, if a reliever doesn't get his job done, then that would be on him rather than the starter.  

Oh...cool. That's the way it should be. It really doesn't make sense when a RP has a really small ERA but allows a lot of inherited runs to score.

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh...cool. That's the way it should be. It really doesn't make sense when a RP has a really small ERA but allows a lot of inherited runs to score.

Well, but inherited runners are not all the same.  Runner on 3rd with none out isn’t quite like runner on 1st with two outs.

One thing that I’m curious about and I don’t even know if the numerals are there to suggest anything about it.  Are RP these days more apt to enter a game at the beginning of the inning rather than after the 1st batter of the inning?  It seems likely, but I don’t know for sure.  And how does that stack up to previous years/eras?

33 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, but inherited runners are not all the same.  Runner on 3rd with none out isn’t quite like runner on 1st with two outs.

One thing that I’m curious about and I don’t even know if the numerals are there to suggest anything about it.  Are RP these days more apt to enter a game at the beginning of the inning rather than after the 1st batter of the inning?  It seems likely, but I don’t know for sure.  And how does that stack up to previous years/eras?

Intuitively you have to believe it's true because today you have at least as many relievers coming into games 'on schedule' as opposed to 'at need', but exactly how much would be interesting. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Intuitively you have to believe it's true because today you have at least as many relievers coming into games 'on schedule' as opposed to 'at need', but exactly how much would be interesting. 

That’s kind of what I was thinking.

11 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Major League Baseball rejects Amazon’s $150M bid to bail out bankrupt Diamond Sports: sources

https://nypost.com/2024/01/08/business/major-league-baseball-rejects-amazons-150m-bid-to-bail-out-bankrupt-diamond-sports-sources/amp/

Diamond has nothing to offer anyone. I would agree with what appears to be the MLB position that any future deal should be directly with the league and not a third party like Diamond.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Diamond has nothing to offer anyone. I would agree with what appears to be the MLB position that any future deal should be directly with the league and not a third party like Diamond.

yeah it seemed like Amazon tried to do an end around  MLB to grab the digital rights

Interesting on SImanaga, perhaps several teams were scared off with all the 'speculative' amounts that were being thrown around to get him - after the apx YYamamoto deal of 12 years and $325 mil to the LAD.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Imanaga at 4 years and $53 mil (or 5 at 80) seems decent enough. I am ok with the JFlaherty deal and we have a little bit depth (though I would still sign another Depth/reclamation type SP).

My point is maybe we felt there was not a chance to get Imanaga (to sign with Detroit) and/or the speculative price was going to be too high (yet came in decent) so the Tigers acted on plan B/C. I do not blame them at all, and see the end result as decent enough.

We will see who is left standing for the FA musical chairs (pitchers and position players) and maybe an 'opportunistic' chance will show itself as we go deeper into the off season as ST gets closer and closer.

I was surprised Imanaga didn’t get more as well. My take would be, if a GM has a need, involve yourself in the negotiations and go from there. If the price is too high just walk away. All things considered, this player/price would have very likely been a good fit here. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I was surprised Imanaga didn’t get more as well. My take would be, if a GM has a need, involve yourself in the negotiations and go from there. If the price is too high just walk away. All things considered, this player/price would have very likely been a good fit here. 

Could be he wanted to pitch in Chicago.  I would imagine that for an international player, location (and its perception) are a larger factor in the decision-making process.

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Could be he wanted to pitch in Chicago.  I would imagine that for an international player, location (and its perception) are a larger factor in the decision-making process.

No doubt. However, I’d be interested in knowing if Harris even inquired. I doubt it. 

35 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Yep, risk pissing a guy off over $25K. Says a lot about this org. It’s not like they’re spending a lot of money on upper tier free agents. Petty BS.

Unless they do do a long term deal with him.