2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think what probably did more to ruin CJ's relationship with the Tigers was that he wasn't very good.

He was also one of the first players to make a presence on social media which the Tigers might not have liked.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Tigers can’t take issue with his performance.  He hasn’t pitched in two seasons. I doubt it will be contentious.

His performance has been meh at best. Definitely not befitting of a 1-1...

7 hours ago, casimir said:

But to oblong’s point, maybe these weren’t the numbers that the sides last exchanged.  Maybe they weren’t exchanged at all.  We don’t know.

What we do know is the $25K difference.  It isn’t a good look for the Tigers regardless of the path either/both sides took to get to their figures.  That gets added to the pile of questions such as the non trade of Rodriguez, which Harris takes the L in public opinion for that (justified or not).

No maybe about it; they weren't.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

He was also one of the first players to make a presence on social media which the Tigers might not have liked.  

That’s an interesting point.  I don’t remember exactly how baseball and the internet merged.  Teams kind of did their own thing when they wanted to before everyone was rolled under the MLB.com umbrella.  And given baseball’s reluctance to change with the times and maybe not realizing the potential revenue streams associated with the internet, the establishment at large probably wasn’t into this new fangled thing.  But when the evolution started, which teams jumped in when, when MLB.com debuted, that’d be an interesting timeline to see.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think what probably did more to ruin CJ's relationship with the Tigers was that he wasn't very good.

After multiple seasons of listening to his color commentary when he was with the Rangers, one gets the impression that, personality wise, he seems like the type who could rub people the wrong way anyway.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, Tiger337 said:

No might about it. I don't have it off hand, but in recent days came across a Randy Smith quote where he was very blunt with a veneer of passive aggression discussing it.

Randy Smith was one of those types I call “old young people”.   

Nitkowski once tweeted about seeing a guy walk onto a plane with no bag, no book, no magazine, no drink, no electronic devices that he could see. Just a small opened bag of chips he was eating as he made his way to his seat. He was envious of such a carefree existence.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/diamond-sports-group-announces-restructuring-deal-featuring-investment-from-amazon.html

9:50am: Josh Kosman of The New York Post reports that Amazon is giving Diamond roughly $100MM for the streaming rights of the Tigers, Royals, Marlins, Brewers and Rays. That money and the Sinclair settlement money could be presented to a Houston bankruptcy judge as early as today.

20 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/diamond-sports-group-announces-restructuring-deal-featuring-investment-from-amazon.html

9:50am: Josh Kosman of The New York Post reports that Amazon is giving Diamond roughly $100MM for the streaming rights of the Tigers, Royals, Marlins, Brewers and Rays. That money and the Sinclair settlement money could be presented to a Houston bankruptcy judge as early as today.

So, does that check have to be taken into the actual lobby of the bank, or can someone just take it through the drive thru and shoot it into the tube?  Man, I used to think those things were slick as heck when I was a kid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If this works out I might be able to dump directTV...Yay!

so help me GOD...if I have to remote my dad's computer just so he can log in every day to see the Tigers on his laptop I'll kill some bitches. 

In the articles I have seen it’s not clear if this means you need a prime subscription or to use their app.  What if someone didn’t have a smart TV or Roku or whatever and wasn’t a prime customer yet pays for cable?  Can they watch the Tigers like always?  

The News article says “regional content will remain…” but I don’t know if that means all the non Tigers/Pistons/Wings only or if that’s included.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

In the articles I have seen it’s not clear if this means you need a prime subscription or to use their app.  What if someone didn’t have a smart TV or Roku or whatever and wasn’t a prime customer yet pays for cable?  Can they watch the Tigers like always?  

exactly. 

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

The News article says “regional content will remain…” but I don’t know if that means all the non Tigers/Pistons/Wings only or if that’s included.  

So, if we subject ourselves to the Pistons, can we get the Tigers at a discount?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1