2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 1/19/2024 at 8:27 AM, casimir said:

He did have a pretty good season in Toledo.  I suppose it could be argued that he suffered a bit of bad BABIP luck in Detroit.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.  I thought he was nearing 30 years old already, but he won't be 27 until Memorial Day.  Maybe there's still something there.  Looking over some of his batted ball stuff, he is below MLB average on pulling the ball and really beat the ball into the dirt last season.  I don't know.

Yea, I felt that he may be able to be a decent part time player. He had a high pedigree (a no. 1 draft spot), held prospect status for awhile in CO., and he has shown he can hit at AAA. Perhaps there is still something there and he is a bit of a late bloomer - or he could simply be another AAAA type.

Seemed the second time around last year with the team he had made some progress (yes some bad BABIP). H is also pretty selective at the plate and versatile. Just maybe...

3 hours ago, alex said:

Yea, I felt that he may be able to be a decent part time player. He had a high pedigree (a no. 1 draft spot), held prospect status for awhile in CO., and he has shown he can hit at AAA. Perhaps there is still something there and he is a bit of a late bloomer - or he could simply be another AAAA type.

Seemed the second time around last year with the team he had made some progress (yes some bad BABIP). H is also pretty selective at the plate and versatile. Just maybe...

9 times out of 10, a guy like Nevin has just hit the limit of the pitching he can handle, but once in a while I think a guy who has toiled a long time in the minors just puts himself under so much pressure on a call up that he ends up unable to hit and Nevin sort of gave me that vibe.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:55 AM, gehringer_2 said:

9 times out of 10, a guy like Nevin has just hit the limit of the pitching he can handle, but once in a while I think a guy who has toiled a long time in the minors just puts himself under so much pressure on a call up that he ends up unable to hit and Nevin sort of gave me that vibe.

It's terrifically hard to hit when you are not playing regularly.

8 hours ago, Longgone said:

It's terrifically hard to hit when you are not playing regularly.

It's not even so much regularly as you have to be able to hit the ground running when you come up. Tyler got into 10 out of a 14 game stretch in April, didn't do anything with it. He was pretty much behind the 8 ball from then on. And TBF, he got 111 PA in Sept and was doing pretty well - 857 OPS, but I'd guess what did him in was that the power he flashed in Toledo never showed in Detroit - only 1 HR in that Sept run.

52 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Nevin going back to Baltimore. A true AAA farmhand.

Maybe this is the big transaction that has been holding the market up. Look for things to roll from here. 

With Nevin off the board, Matt Chapman could be a fallback for the teams that missed out.

Edited by Tenacious D

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The last time the Tigers traded a 26-year-old Nevin, he blossomed into a solid player, even all-star level for a couple of years.  

Yeah, for as much as we joke about him, I wouldn’t bet against him turning into a decent player.  Of course, I wouldn’t bet on it, either.

Hey, @Edman85, curious about your opinion on something:

Suppose Casey Mize had come up, not get hurt so much, and been more or less an average pitcher throughout his first three pre-arb years in the big leagues. Say, right around 100 ERA+ and maybe 120 to 150 innings pitched per year. Not All-Star level, but not AAAA-level, either. What would you estimate his first arb year salary would have been? Then, if he repeated that performance for yet another year, what do you think his second arb year salary would be? Looking for a sense of perspective here.

Has there been any news on how the “fix it” for Baez is progressing this off season? Harris made it clear that there would be a plan to address his plate issues. Curious as to know how/if that is progressing if anyone has heard anything being this close to camp?

6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Has there been any news on how the “fix it” for Baez is progressing this off season? Harris made it clear that there would be a plan to address his plate issues. Curious as to know how/if that is progressing if anyone has heard anything being this close to camp?

sounds like he kind of lives off the gird in Puerto Rico so we probably wont hear anything til we get the "best shape of his life" story in March

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Suppose Casey Mize had come up, not get hurt so much, and been more or less an average pitcher throughout his first three pre-arb years in the big leagues. Say, right around 100 ERA+ and maybe 120 to 150 innings pitched per year. Not All-Star level, but not AAAA-level, either. What would you estimate his first arb year salary would have been? Then, if he repeated that performance for yet another year, what do you think his second arb year salary would be? Looking for a sense of perspective here.

I don't know off hand. I would look around the league at similar players.

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

sounds like he kind of lives off the gird in Puerto Rico so we probably wont hear anything til we get the "best shape of his life" story in March

Did Hinch make another winter sojourn to spend time together?  I’d rather have Ichiro or Rod Carew make that trip.

I do wonder if they have tried to tell Javy that they don’t need him to hit 25 HRs.  That he’d be more valuable if he made more consistent contact, at the expense of dingers.  He’s strong enough that he would still get his fair share.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Dane Dunning got 3.3M, Arb1. Average/healthyish SP.

Closest comp with between 5 and 5.5 years of service I could find was Adrian Houser, 5.1M. I think the person you are describing would get more, so 6-7M?

31 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Dane Dunning got 3.3M, Arb1. Average/healthyish SP.

Closest comp with between 5 and 5.5 years of service I could find was Adrian Houser, 5.1M. I think the person you are describing would get more, so 6-7M?

Mize has 3.111 in service time, so does that change your off the cuff calculation on that?

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Mize has 3.111 in service time, so does that change your off the cuff calculation on that?

Not really. I was trying to avoid guys who started with Super 2, and since that cutoff changes every year, that's why I was trying to stay under 3.100. Super 2, obviously, makes every subsequent year more expensive.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Did Hinch make another winter sojourn to spend time together?  I’d rather have Ichiro or Rod Carew make that trip.

I do wonder if they have tried to tell Javy that they don’t need him to hit 25 HRs.  That he’d be more valuable if he made more consistent contact, at the expense of dingers.  He’s strong enough that he would still get his fair share.

contrarily  I might just let Javey be Javey and hack away hoping for the 25 homers and living with the .300 OBP in exchange for a .400 + slugging. I think the "control the zone" mantra has F'd hm up. Just let him rake and live with the strikeouts and ugly ab's in exchange for some game changing power/ AB's and good defense with great base running. 

• Like 1