2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

23 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

contrarily  I might just let Javey be Javey and hack away hoping for the 25 homers and living with the .300 OBP in exchange for a .400 + slugging. I think the "control the zone" mantra has F'd hm up. Just let him rake and live with the strikeouts and ugly ab's in exchange for some game changing power/ AB's and good defense with great base running. 

Yeah, he's 30 and he's not going to become an on-base guy with power, but if they mitigate to the point where he's .320 vs .270 on base with the same SLG, that would work out fine.

31 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

contrarily  I might just let Javey be Javey and hack away hoping for the 25 homers and living with the .300 OBP in exchange for a .400 + slugging. I think the "control the zone" mantra has F'd hm up. Just let him rake and live with the strikeouts and ugly ab's in exchange for some game changing power/ AB's and good defense with great base running. 

I don’t disagree with this. Let Javy be Javy—no idea how much instruction he’s received since joining.  And it might have messed him up.

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

yeah, this is a tough call when it comes to hitters - can you actually help them or better to leave well enough alone? I sort of agree that the 'control the zone' mantra could lead to guys being tentative and that is certainly fatal for a hitter. I would prefer they change their phraseology to put the onus off the player and on the org - "it's up to us to will work with you/give you tools to better control the zone", which is what I hope they really mean because I just don't believe there are many hitters who are not trying to swing at strikes, they just can't tell which pitches are going to be strikes in the time frame their mechanics allow.

With Javy the theory would be if you can get him shorter to the ball his pitch recognition could - again,  in theory - improve. And with Javy's base ability to track and hit pitches outside the zone you'd want to believe it's possible he could barrel up more pitches. But hitting is such an incredibly finely balance capability that there is always the risk that you just can't find a combination that is overall better for the player than what he was doing.

An effective hitting coach is probably one of the rarest animals in sports.

Edited by gehringer_2

Sports journalists and especially baseball writers are a dying breed.  I fear they will all be gone in a decade.

It begs the question, when there are no more baseball writers left employed, who will vote for the hall?  

37 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Sports journalists and especially baseball writers are a dying breed.  I fear they will all be gone in a decade.

It begs the question, when there are no more baseball writers left employed, who will vote for the hall?  

AI robots.

Edited by Tiger337

Any reasonable person knows he belongs but given the stupidity some voters have with regard to a fear of how high players percentage is, I understand the surprise.  Although to Hongbit’s point earlier I think those folks are dying off. 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ichero and..... .. .  .    .         .

Maybe Sabathia, but probably not the first year. 

There has been talk about Ichiro being a unanimous choice and it could happen.  He is clearly a Hall of Famer, but I don't know if he's that special where he should be only the second unanimous choice ever.  On the other hand, it's stupid to keep someone out just because you don't want it to be unanimous.  

I was surprised at the hesitation I saw on CC, not only here, but other places.  Then i looked at his numbers again.... wasn't as good as I remembered. Yeah he was good... but not as dominant. 

I wonder how many voters do, or have done,  what I have done without even looking at the numbers again? Just go with their gut and memory and that's that?