Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

this might be the best tigers free agent signing since magglio.

benetti is great.  he made the sox watchable (although, tbh, it was kind of more fun watching them lose when hawk would cry about it.)

he's a great addition.  i'm jealous of tigers fans who get to listen to him call pbp.

I didn’t even bother doing MLB TV the last two seasons because I couldn’t get it to sync the radio audio with the TV audio to drown out Shep. Having Dan doing TV 35 games a year is a real plus too. This is the equivalent of the sun shining and birds chirping on a winter’s day for me. It’s like being Sally Field at the Oscars. The Tigers must really like us. EDIT: I just listened to him talk about having cerebral palsy. This is a real person. He’s not just a voice or a guy in a suit. He has substance. Good or bad as a team, it’s going to be more pleasant having the Detroit Tigers back in my life again because of Jason Benetti.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I need to start saving my pennies to get MLBTV next season. I have a feeling the T-Mobile agreement won't be renewed

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/6/23672572/t-mobile-mlb-tv-free-2028

According to that (and granted, it's 7-month-old information that may have changed), the T-Mobile MLB.TV agreement runs through 2028.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I didn’t even bother doing MLB TV the last two seasons because I couldn’t get it to sync the radio audio with the TV audio to drown out Shep. Having Dan doing TV 35 games a year is a real plus too. This is the equivalent of the sun shining and birds chirping on a winter’s day for me. It’s like being Sally Field at the Oscars. The Tigers must really like us. EDIT: I just listened to him talk about having cerebral palsy. This is a real person. He’s not just a voice or a guy in a suit. He has substance. Good or bad as a team, it’s going to be more pleasant having the Detroit Tigers back in my life again because of Jason Benetti.

Great insight Bert. Almost had coffee all over my latop reading the Sally Field bit! 😄

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If Dan is going to be doing TV about 35 games a year, it is all the more important radio ups its game. I know in the past Gania and Hasty have filled in and done really good jobs, I like them both. I think either would do well solo in the booth. But they are committed to Erie and West Michigan baseball schedules. This years color guys, including Dirks, may not be suitable in a solo position in Dan’s absence.

Edited by 1776

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Beck has been covering the Tigers for four decades and has never been involved in a controversy or pissed anyone off.  He also still looks 20 years old in every photo I see of him.  Can he grow a real mustache yet?  

I had no idea what he even looked like til today he's old school media where the story is not about him

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

If Dan is going to be doing TV about 35 games a year, it is all the more important radio ups its game. I know in the past Gania and Hasty have filled in and done really good jobs, I like them both. I think either would do well solo in the booth. But they are committed to Erie and West Michigan baseball schedules. This years color guys, including Dirks, may not be suitable in a solo position in Dan’s absence.

Gania and Hasty both have sidekicks (Sam Leibowitz and Nate Wangler) who could hold the fort down whenever their presence is needed for Tigers games, so I suspect there won't be too much of an issue using some combination of the two to fill in for Dan when needed.

• Like 1

The broadcast re-alignments seem to have a flavor of professionalism about it. The ethos with Bally recently has been throw anyone in front of the camera or microphone that was nearby and might have a decent 'Q' score.  Hopefully this is a broad push by Harris to move toward pros who know what they are doing.