Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

sometimes benetti and stone got too much into their back and forth and it got annoying, but he's still a great broadcaster.  great voice and a good sense of humor (even if he does go overboard at times).  

he actually made bill walton listenable (at times).

he'll probably be better moved away from stone.  not that there's anything wrong with stoney, he's great, but it seemed like they spent a lot of time trying to outclever each other and it took away from the broadcast.

good to see the tigers be flexible with him and recognize an opportunity to get a good talent.  the white sox - as usual - ran off a good young talent because reinsdorf didnt like him, pinched pennies, and personally attacked him at the negotiations.

i wouldnt call the tigers a model organization by any means, but the sox are their own brand of stupid run by a guy who is really too old to be calling the shots anymore.

I like Benetti as an announcer as much as the next guy, but I don’t love that the Tigers will be his second priority. That feels to me like he already has a foot out the door coming in, and I had the sense while he was in Big Shoulders that he wants to be 100% national. That said, Tigers could do worse than Dan Dickerson as the backup on TV. For as long as it lasts, this is a complete win for Tiger fans.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I like Benetti as an announcer as much as the next guy, but I don’t love that the Tigers will be his second priority. That feels to me like he already has a foot out the door coming in, and I had the sense while he was in Big Shoulders that he wants to be 100% national. That said, Tigers could do worse than Dan Dickerson as the backup on TV. For as long as it lasts, this is a complete win for Tiger fans.

I was thinking the same thing.  I think he'll be great as long as he is in Detroit, but I like broadcasters to be around for the long haul and to become part of the team's identity.  I will enjoy him while he's here.  

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I think he'll be great as long as he is in Detroit, but I like broadcasters to be around for the long haul and to become part of the team's identity.  I will enjoy him while he's here.  

Yes, you most definitely will.

Night, meet Day.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Nothing is forever. There is a season for everything, and this appears to be Benetti's in Detroit. He will be better than Shep by far.

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

I like Benetti as an announcer as much as the next guy, but I don’t love that the Tigers will be his second priority. That feels to me like he already has a foot out the door coming in, and I had the sense while he was in Big Shoulders that he wants to be 100% national. That said...

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Conversely...

Maybe it is possible he sets the standard, and training, and approach, for the next Tigers TV announcer?

I don't know if that's a thing...

Just wagging.